I have just viewed 4 of the 6 hours of this documentary. Here are a couple of links complements of DavidZ:

http://www.kk.org/truefilms/archives/2006/...a_a_century.php

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews3..._revolution.htm

This documentary is the real thing of what China has endured in the last century. This will give you a new perspective of what life was like in the 20th century in China. This is not for the faint of heart.

I would like to know if anyone has seen this and what you think.

---

fixed links.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just viewed 4 of the 6 hours of this documentary. Here are a couple of links complements of DavidZ:

This documentary is the real thing of what China has endured in the last century. This will give you a new perspective of what life was like in the 20th century in China. This is not for the faint of heart.

From where I am, those links are 404'd. Can you post a link to it on amazon.com? What is the title of the film?

From where I am, those links are 404'd. Can you post a link to it on amazon.com? What is the title of the film?

The title is "China A Century of Revolution"

Bill, I'd like to suggest this book that I just finished last week:

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Dragon-Indi...7182&sr=1-1

The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It Means for All of Us

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DCw1U1R7L._AA240_.jpg

Just published this year. Very good book, IMO. It's tough to foresee a very bright future for all US citizens as India and China come of age in the modern world. The overall international wage should equalize--and that means lowers US wages and higher Chinese and Indian wages overall.

Take a read if you have time. I definitely recommend it.

• 5 weeks later...

i just finished viewing the entire series. Now I have a good perspective as far as what the Chinese people have endured and how far they have come. Also now I have a much better understanding of my wife and the way she grew up. I will never be the same. :o

Am I the ONLY one of CFL that has seen this????????? :(

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

i just finished viewing the entire series. Now I have a good perspective as far as what the Chinese people have endured and how far they have come. Also now I have a much better understanding of my wife and the way she grew up. I will never be the same. :o

Thanks for the links!!! Will look at these after sons asleep!! B)

Thanks for the links!!! Will look at these after sons asleep!! B)

If you get a chance to see this then you will see the birth of Shenzhen from a farming/fishing village to the great metropolis it is today. It's hard to believe Shenzhen is only 20 something years old.

I have a few documentaries at home waiting for me, I'll let you guys know how they are, one is titled "China's sexual revolution" and another is about Beijing. I'll see about picking this one up too :o

Its kind of amazing to me, how fast China has grown even during the short time lao po has been alive its grown tremendously! Going back is definitely in our plans, I should get back to studying mandarin now :(

NO. I have seen this documentary. I rented from Netflix. It was the first videos I watched when I decided to dive into learning about China. It really put things in perspective for me, which is what I wanted. It's very lengthy, and took me some time to get though it. But it does take a cold hard look at China and what the country has endured over the last century.

A few other "movies" I can suggest that I thought were worth watching.

The Road Home

Ju Dou

The Story of Qiu Ju

Not One Less - Really good movie

The Blue Kite (this is a good movie to watch after watching A Century of Revolution, it was banned in China)

i just finished viewing the entire series. Now I have a good perspective as far as what the Chinese people have endured and how far they have come. Also now I have a much better understanding of my wife and the way she grew up. I will never be the same. :rolleyes:

Am I the ONLY one of CFL that has seen this????????? :angry:

Just got done watching "Chinas sexual revolution" and I reccomend everyone watch it, especialy if your SO is from the older generation. There is a huge gap between the younger generation (30's and below) compaired to the older in terms of marriage and sexual relation.

One thing that struck me as odd, they show Beijing has many sex shops all over but when I walked around shanghai I didnt see one at all. Maybe I just didnt explore enough.

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)

Finally someone besides me has seen it. 6 hours is a long time but I took it 2 hours at a time. Awhile back there was a thread here about Chairman Mao but I didn't know anything about him to participate. After he died people began to wonder if he was really that stupid or was he just plain evil. I think he was a stupid AND evil man.

Thanks for the other "movie" suggestions Tim. I will check them out.

NO. I have seen this documentary. I rented from Netflix. It was the first videos I watched when I decided to dive into learning about China. It really put things in perspective for me, which is what I wanted. It's very lengthy, and took me some time to get though it. But it does take a cold hard look at China and what the country has endured over the last century.

A few other "movies" I can suggest that I thought were worth watching.

The Road Home

Ju Dou

The Story of Qiu Ju

Not One Less - Really good movie

The Blue Kite (this is a good movie to watch after watching A Century of Revolution, it was banned in China)

i just finished viewing the entire series. Now I have a good perspective as far as what the Chinese people have endured and how far they have come. Also now I have a much better understanding of my wife and the way she grew up. I will never be the same. :lol:

Am I the ONLY one of CFL that has seen this????????? :)

Just got done watching "Chinas sexual revolution" and I reccomend everyone watch it, especialy if your SO is from the older generation. There is a huge gap between the younger generation (30's and below) compaired to the older in terms of marriage and sexual relation.

One thing that struck me as odd, they show Beijing has many sex shops all over but when I walked around shanghai I didnt see one at all. Maybe I just didnt explore enough.

I know quite a bit about the older generation as I have learned from my wife. Also she is from the rural area so sometimes they are last to fall in line with what goes on in the big cities. I will check out this movie and thanks!!!!

Maybe you were in the wrong district. We went to Shanghai in June of '05 and I saw 2 or 3 "barber shops" on every street. Blatant. Same in Nanning, but in isolated pockets. Same in Guangzhou and Guilin and Shenzen. I saw some in YongKang City, too. In fact, other than P.I. (where I lived for a year) and Thailand (never been, but from what I've heard), I've seen more "sexy for hire" in China than any other place I've ever been!

I'm amazed that it's so open while being illegal, but I read somewhere that China has strict laws, loosely enforced, while the U.S. has loose laws, strictly enforced. I'm not sure I agree with the U.S. part, but as for China, when it comes to this issue, I agree with that analysis. It might be illegal, but I've seen a lot...

Best Regards