Another video I'd like to recommend is "China, from the inside" by PBS Home video.

I think it is well done. Just started watching it so I'll give some more feedback when I've completed it. It's 4 hours.

Timb

Let me know how it is. I might want to see this as well. Thanksssssss

Never mind :lol: I couldn't resist!! I just ordered it from PBS. ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched both the Century of Revolution and China from the Inside. Both are quite worth watching.

Indeed they are for those who want to broaden their knowledge of China and understand more of what our Chinese loved ones had to endure. The documentaries will answer many questions. :lol:

As for the others you've listed above, I would be happy to comment on them too if anyone in China knows who they are. I'm an equal opportunity truth teller when it comes to slimey politicians; I've known too many of them personally.

P.S. It's MARRIED presidents, and... the key issue for my Chinese friends was that he was MARRIED. Seems they have a sense of morality that escapes most present day Americans. :D

P.P.S. I've edited out your quote from my original post and I'm also deleting same. It wasn't intended to be a political comment, it was more a comment on the morality of the Chinese women I know in China. They were really offended by the situation and were surprised when I told them what I knew after they asked me about B.C.

Deleted my post as well. I think you could have made your point equally as forcefully by saying "I'm still educating them on how immoral some of our politicians are." Just seemed to be unnecessarily political to insert BC into the conversation. :lol:

P.S. All those I listed with the exception of Foley were/are MARRIED. :D

As for the others you've listed above, I would be happy to comment on them too if anyone in China knows who they are. I'm an equal opportunity truth teller when it comes to slimey politicians; I've known too many of them personally.

P.S. It's MARRIED presidents, and... the key issue for my Chinese friends was that he was MARRIED. Seems they have a sense of morality that escapes most present day Americans. :D

P.P.S. I've edited out your quote from my original post and I'm also deleting same. It wasn't intended to be a political comment, it was more a comment on the morality of the Chinese women I know in China. They were really offended by the situation and were surprised when I told them what I knew after they asked me about B.C.

Deleted my post as well. I think you could have made your point equally as forcefully by saying "I'm still educating them on how immoral some of our politicians are." Just seemed to be unnecessarily political to insert BC into the conversation. :D

P.S. All those I listed with the exception of Foley were/are MARRIED. :D

Thanks guys :P It is very important to me that we keep this thread focused on China. For some reason, the Chinese people are very near and dear to my heart. :lol:

Just got done watching "Chinas sexual revolution" and I reccomend everyone watch it, especialy if your SO is from the older generation. There is a huge gap between the younger generation (30's and below) compaired to the older in terms of marriage and sexual relation.

One thing that struck me as odd, they show Beijing has many sex shops all over but when I walked around shanghai I didnt see one at all. Maybe I just didnt explore enough.

I know quite a bit about the older generation as I have learned from my wife. Also she is from the rural area so sometimes they are last to fall in line with what goes on in the big cities. I will check out this movie and thanks!!!!

I actualy got this from a friend, as an .avi video. File name says CBC and on the intro the only clue I get is the title name of the show "Doc Zone" hope that helps you =)

I found the link but it wants me to download a plug in. Is it safe?

What website, I can look at it for you with my virus protection on and make sure.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1002968 sometimes I do not trust virus protection :)

You dont need a plug in for that, so dont download any if it asks, you need a "bit torrent" program, to load the .torrent file. FYI this is p2p sharing. You can use a program called utorrent. It will load the small file and start downloading.

Just got done watching "Chinas sexual revolution" and I reccomend everyone watch it, especialy if your SO is from the older generation. There is a huge gap between the younger generation (30's and below) compaired to the older in terms of marriage and sexual relation.

One thing that struck me as odd, they show Beijing has many sex shops all over but when I walked around shanghai I didnt see one at all. Maybe I just didnt explore enough.

I know quite a bit about the older generation as I have learned from my wife. Also she is from the rural area so sometimes they are last to fall in line with what goes on in the big cities. I will check out this movie and thanks!!!!

I actualy got this from a friend, as an .avi video. File name says CBC and on the intro the only clue I get is the title name of the show "Doc Zone" hope that helps you =)

I found the link but it wants me to download a plug in. Is it safe?

What website, I can look at it for you with my virus protection on and make sure.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1002968 sometimes I do not trust virus protection :)

You dont need a plug in for that, so dont download any if it asks, you need a "bit torrent" program, to load the .torrent file. FYI this is p2p sharing. You can use a program called utorrent. It will load the small file and start downloading.

Thanks I will give it a try. :rolleyes:

Just finished part two of this. Quite enlightening. Goes into detail why woman in China have the highest suicide rate in the world. Predicts future could get worse with crimes against woman because of the gender imbalance.

Another video I'd like to recommend is "China, from the inside" by PBS Home video.

I think it is well done. Just started watching it so I'll give some more feedback when I've completed it. It's 4 hours.

Timb

Let me know how it is. I might want to see this as well. Thanksssssss

Never mind ;) I couldn't resist!! I just ordered it from PBS. ;)

I am looking forward to watching the documentaries, Chilton. However, as to your remark:

>>>old school Chinese journalists give their opinions ...

...an old school journalist never flatly states their opinion - it is outside of the discipline. Comments from an old school journalist will always be ladden with qualifiers like "it appears that," "from what I can see," or other such phrase.

:smartass:

I finished watching a China: a century of revolution. It contained no new information for me. However, seeing the pictures over such a span of time did hit me at another level: the realization that China has lived mostly in turmoil for a century...the pictures drove that home.

It also got me thinking about how the Chinese mind set could allow these things to happen; the influence/impact of Т, filial piety; the snitch society; and Mao as a godhead. All of that is well known, but the faces transformed that knowledge into something other than information.

It is indeed a powerful program and worth whatever I paid for it on Amazon.com

Chilton, Took your advice when you first posted this and ordered the video, Like Griz said .. alot of it's well known ... but adding a face and seeing the footage brings it much closer.

Thanks for the advice .... i will be watching the others i've seen listed here also ... history is of great interest to me and now i have a new history to learn.

Myself I did not know much of the things that went on during this time so it was a great learnin' for me. The footage was awesome and indeed brought it all home. I saw it just before my last visit to China and it definitely gave me a new perspective as I could understand more and relate more to what they had been through. "China from the Inside" should be showing up at my door any day now.

These documentaries are great tools that help me understand my wife more than ever. Thanks PBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was interesting how Mao would throw these lavish parties every Sat. and dance to Western music. What was more interesting is how he would have many young ladies in a private room to "rest" for about an hour.

This is a great series in that it gives a comprehensive overview of China's history since the Nationlists overthrew the Qing dynasty in the early part of the 20th Century.

Edited by yimi386 (see edit history)

It was interesting how Mao would throw these lavish parties every Sat. and dance to Western music. What was more interesting is how he would have many young ladies in a private room to "rest" for about an hour.

This is a great series in that it gives a comprehensive overview of China's history since the Nationlists overthrew the Qing dynasty in the early part of the 20th Century.

Yeah old Mao liked to "rest" alright. I wonder if all that "restin" inspired all of the quotations in the "Quotations from Chairman Mao" book that is the 2nd most printed book in the world. :toot: It was funny to see how the parties became more frequent as he got older :toot:

I still wish that Dr Sun-Yat-sen would have lived longer.

Guest nanningbob

The documentaries were great and added a bit to my knowledge of China's recent history.

What I found even more interesting was later watching a couple of Chinese movies with tai tai. Joanne mentioned The Blue Kite. Great movie and it put into drama the effects of Mao's policies in the mid to later 50's. I also watched The Long Road Home. That about a school teacher in rural China that's a cross between a romance and drama. Lust.Caution was also very good.

Had I watched these movies before the documentaries I'd have not appreciated them nearly as much or realized their historical significance. One thing I liked about all three movies is the style; a cross between a drama and a documentary. Unlike Hollywood, the movies were NOT soley to display special effects but to tell a moving story.

Netflix has the 3 disc series.....