I know this has been hashed about before but..........

I always like to know what she is saying!!!! :o :rolleyes:

There are many words in Chinese that are the equivalence of "husband", such as "zhang-fu", "qian-shou", "wei-zi", "ai-ren"and "lao-gong", etc.

"Zhang-fu" and "wei-zi" is the formal way to call a husband, while "qian-shou" means "holding your hand" and "ai-ren" means "lover".

Among these words, "Lao-gong" is the most interesting and common one in modern China. Even un-married girls like to call their boyfriends "lao-gong", which suppose to mean "husband". The interesting point is that, according to Chinese history documents, "lao-gong" used to be what the prostitutes call their clients in the Weijin dynasty (220-589). And...... what a coincidence......, according to my observation, when an unmarried girl calls her boyfriend "lao-gong", it is 80/100 that they has sexual relationship.

(Though having sex before marrige is becoming common in modern China, it is still not appropriate to tell whether you have this experience in public in modern China. And even in modern China, there are still many men that are unwilling to marry with a non-virgin.)

Therefore, only by hearing what a girl calls a boy, you can tell their relationship, but few people notice it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the course of this discussion of men / women relationship, i'm surprise you don't mention the ever infamous phrase "er nai". i think in modern china, it's very common...unfortunately.

Yes it is, or I would not be soon marrying my wondeful SO!! :blink:

"internal memo forbidding its members to ¡°bao er nai¡± ¡ª to keep second wives, meaning mistresses. This was necessary since 80% of the officials charged with corruption were found to ¡°bao er nai¡± :rolleyes: :o

Because I was too embarassed to ask here, I asked my sweetheart why K1 applicants at CFL referred to there fiancee's as "lao po" and not "SO" and she told me it meant wife. I still don't understand why some here say lao po during the K1 process but, the point of my post is to say that she said when we marry, I will be her "lao gong". I'm sure you're all riveted with my story.... : )

My wife has called me Lao Gong even before we were married. I hear her refer me to her Chinese speaking friends as Lao Gong. My wife speaks Cantonese primarily and I wonder if this is why? My wife tells me that her love is strong from the beginning and that's why Lao Gong is my title.

My son confirmed the history of the meaning to me. The part of prostitutes calling their clients Lao Gong made him laugh. He said that happened to make these men feel important because they could not find love...

Wow... talk about different ends of a spectrum!

My wife has called me Lao Gong even before we were married. I hear her refer me to her Chinese speaking friends as Lao Gong. My wife speaks Cantonese primarily and I wonder if this is why? My wife tells me that her love is strong from the beginning and that's why Lao Gong is my title.

My son confirmed the history of the meaning to me. The part of prostitutes calling their clients Lao Gong made him laugh. He said that happened to make these men feel important because they could not find love...

Wow... talk about different ends of a spectrum!

Lao gong (Mandarin) is lou5 gung1 in Cantonese. ÀϹ« is the Chinese characters for either.

Because I was too embarassed to ask here, I asked my sweetheart why K1 applicants at CFL referred to there fiancee's as "lao po" and not "SO" and she told me it meant wife. I still don't understand why some here say lao po during the K1 process but, the point of my post is to say that she said when we marry, I will be her "lao gong". I'm sure you're all riveted with my story.... : )

Lao po can be translated in some areas to mean "old man" or "old lady"!! :D :P :blink: :ph34r: ;) B)

I really need to quit looking up all of these words!! :blink: :P

Lao po can be translated in some areas to mean "old man" or "old lady"!! :D :P :blink: :) ;) B)

I really need to quit looking up all of these words!! :blink: :blink:

Lao po doesn't translate to "old man". Maybe "Old grandma". :lol:

Actually ÀÏ (Lao) doesn't mean "old" here. It kind of "long time" just like we say "old friends" not necessary means old persons. ÀϹ« (Lao Gong) and ÀÏÆÅ (Lao Po) were originally young people's slang to call boy friend and girl friend in Taiwan from the 70's and later we change that to ÐÔ×Ó(Shing Ds=Sex=Boy friend) and ñR×Ó (Ma Ds=Horse=Girl friend, go figure :lol:). Just like the slangs in US.... They don't have to mean anything but get so popular and they become meaningful.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Actually ÀÏ (Lao) doesn't mean "old" here. It kind of "long time" just like we say "old friends" not necessary means old persons. ÀϹ« (Lao Gong) and ÀÏÆÅ (Lao Po) were originally young people's slang to call boy friend and girl friend in Taiwan from the 70's and later we change that to ÐÔ×Ó(Shing Ds=Sex=Boy friend) and ñR×Ó (Ma Ds=Horse=Girl friend, go figure :lol:). Just like the slangs in US.... They don't have to mean anything but get so popular and they become meaningful.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Lao is used all over the place... it's silly for one think it simply means old...

Just as one doesn't mean old tiger or old rat when saying Lao Hu or Lao Shi... Applied to teachers (or masters), I think it is more akin to veneration.

Actually ÀÏ (Lao) doesn't mean "old" here. It kind of "long time" just like we say "old friends" not necessary means old persons. ÀϹ« (Lao Gong) and ÀÏÆÅ (Lao Po) were originally young people's slang to call boy friend and girl friend in Taiwan from the 70's and later we change that to ÐÔ×Ó(Shing Ds=Sex=Boy friend) and ñR×Ó (Ma Ds=Horse=Girl friend, go figure :rolleyes:). Just like the slangs in US.... They don't have to mean anything but get so popular and they become meaningful.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Lao is used all over the place... it's silly for one think it simply means old...

Just as one doesn't mean old tiger or old rat when saying Lao Hu or Lao Shi... Applied to teachers (or masters), I think it is more akin to veneration.

Agree!! Like ÀÏé› (Lao Ban=Boss Man) ÀÏ°ÙÐÕ (Lao Ba Shin=Ordinary People) Àϸç (Lao Ga=Dude :lol:

Actually ÀÏ (Lao) doesn't mean "old" here. It kind of "long time" just like we say "old friends" not necessary means old persons. ÀϹ« (Lao Gong) and ÀÏÆÅ (Lao Po) were originally young people's slang to call boy friend and girl friend in Taiwan from the 70's and later we change that to ÐÔ×Ó(Shing Ds=Sex=Boy friend) and ñR×Ó (Ma Ds=Horse=Girl friend, go figure :)). Just like the slangs in US.... They don't have to mean anything but get so popular and they become meaningful.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Just as one doesn't mean old tiger or old rat when saying Lao Hu or Lao Shi... Applied to teachers (or masters), I think it is more akin to veneration..

I know it doesn't have to mean old DavidZ, but Lao Gong brings to mind exactly an antiquated image of an old imperial husband who has his feet washed by his subservient wife (or wives).

I dislike the term.

I dare say in more upper crust--and primarily educated--families, those terms are not used. It tends to come across as being a bit vulgar or crass. (I'm not trying to offend anyone here at CFL. I realize that many folks on here and their SOs use Lao Gong and Lao Pao, but I do think it's important to explain the full context for these terms.)

Now a days, the younger generation in the US likes to use terms such as "biatch" and "ho" as terms of endearment as well, but it's certainly no universally accepted and I just can't see Jim_Julian using those terms. ;)

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

Actually ÀÏ (Lao) doesn't mean "old" here. It kind of "long time" just like we say "old friends" not necessary means old persons. ÀϹ« (Lao Gong) and ÀÏÆÅ (Lao Po) were originally young people's slang to call boy friend and girl friend in Taiwan from the 70's and later we change that to ÐÔ×Ó(Shing Ds=Sex=Boy friend) and ñR×Ó (Ma Ds=Horse=Girl friend, go figure :blink:). Just like the slangs in US.... They don't have to mean anything but get so popular and they become meaningful.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Just as one doesn't mean old tiger or old rat when saying Lao Hu or Lao Shi... Applied to teachers (or masters), I think it is more akin to veneration..

I know it doesn't have to mean old DavidZ, but Lao Gong brings to mind exactly an antiquated image of an old imperial husband who has his feet washed by his subservient wife (or wives).

I dislike the term.

I dare say in more upper crust--and primarily educated--families, those terms are not used. It tends to come across as being a bit vulgar or crass. (I'm not trying to offend anyone here at CFL. I realize that many folks on here and their SOs use Lao Gong and Lao Pao, but I do think it's important to explain the full context for these terms.)

Now a days, the younger generation in the US likes to use terms such as "biatch" and "ho" as terms of endearment as well, but it's certainly no universally accepted and I just can't see Jim_Julian using those terms. :)

you and I have had this discussion before... I would agree there is some regional like and dislike... and I hope if I call you, as you are a dear friend... Lao Lance, you'll take no offense, and know I mean this in a most respectful, time honoring way :)