Pollution responsibilty...A shared problem...

The developed nations like the US and Europe have long been complaining about reducing their own emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants until the developing nations like China and India do likewise. But this report from the Voice of America informs us that nearly a quarter of those carbon emissions in China are a direct result of manufacturing products that are sent to the west. China benefits by the jobs this trade creates but China suffers by the fouling of it's own air, land and water.

Research Report Says West Should Share Pollution Responsibility with China

A report published by a climate change research institute says about a quarter of China's carbon emissions are from the manufacture of goods exported to the West. The report suggests that countries importing Chinese goods should share the responsibility of the pollution caused by their manufacture.

Beijing is one of the world's most polluted cities with poor air quality. China's rapidly growing economy has catapulted that country to its position as the world's leading polluter.

But a report published by the Tyndall Centre, a climate change research institute, says some 23 percent of China's carbon emissions are generated during the manufacture of goods destined for Western consumers.

The report is called "Made in China." It questions the current practice of deciding who is responsible for emission reduction by counting carbon emissions within national borders.

It further suggests that a fair assessment of a nation's carbon footprint would include imported goods manufactured elsewhere.

Tao Wang of the University of Sussex is one of the report's co-authors.

He says although exports of carbon intensive products such as rolled steel and aluminum are increasing at more than 50 percent annually, the majority of China's trade surplus comes from less carbon intensive goods such as textiles and consumer electronics. Wang tells VOA that developed countries have a responsibility to help developing countries reduce emissions.

"Because of the huge amount of exports and manufacturing shipped to developed countries I think it's also fair to ask OECD countries to help developing countries by providing more efficient technology transfers to help them to reduce their carbon emissions," he said.

The United States argues against industrial countries reducing their emissions unless new economies like China and India also do so. But the report notes that the United States is the top destination for exports of Chinese made goods.

Wang argues that developed countries should take the lead in reducing emissions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wang argues that developed countries should take the lead in reducing emissions.

Developed countries taking the responsibility and initiative to change their ways so as to reduce emissions that harm the planet and the people who inhabit it?

That might cost some big businesses some profits.

Not bloody likely. :rolleyes:

If I follow the authors thought process we should expect that by purchasing a steak in a restaurant we should be responsible for the proper disposal of all manure and other by products generated by the original animal and if it ended up on someones front porch we should be forced to pay to have it removed and disposed of properly, not to mention the mental and emotional damages caused to the owner of the porch or anyone who came in close proximity of the offensive material.

I believe that my responsibility in such a case is over when I pay what the price requested for the steak, those who raised the cow, butchered the cow, packaged the beef, shipped it to the restaurant and prepared it for my consumption are each responsible for their part of the process.

To expect the final consumer to be responsible for anything other than the price they agreed to pay to the seller is absurd. If we also believe in cause and effect as a method to derive responsibility this could be carried back to the original animal that conceived the species and further more on to the creator of that animal.

Using the same logic as the authors any post on the Internet that causes someone anguish is the original posters liability and they should make their contact information available for any and all financial claims for the distress caused by the original post as well as responses that post generated which may have caused additional harm.

So Roger could be personally and financially responsible for any reader who believes you have harmed Sheep by your stance as a Goat. :)

Once we begin to follow the slippery slope of responsibility it has no end, each person, business or country has their own responsibility for their action or actions and attempts to place their responsibility on others is less than honest.

The United States argues against industrial countries reducing their emissions unless new economies like China and India also do so. But the report notes that the United States is the top destination for exports of Chinese made goods.

The US will always hide behind the curtain of profit driven economy... they are the #1 abusive nation in emissions but don't want to do anything about THEIR own problem. Blowing same old smoke...

If I follow the authors thought process we should expect that by purchasing a steak in a restaurant we should be responsible for the proper disposal of all manure and other by products generated by the original animal and if it ended up on someones front porch we should be forced to pay to have it removed and disposed of properly, not to mention the mental and emotional damages caused to the owner of the porch or anyone who came in close proximity of the offensive material.

I believe that my responsibility in such a case is over when I pay what the price requested for the steak, those who raised the cow, butchered the cow, packaged the beef, shipped it to the restaurant and prepared it for my consumption are each responsible for their part of the process.

To expect the final consumer to be responsible for anything other than the price they agreed to pay to the seller is absurd. If we also believe in cause and effect as a method to derive responsibility this could be carried back to the original animal that conceived the species and further more on to the creator of that animal.

Using the same logic as the authors any post on the Internet that causes someone anguish is the original posters liability and they should make their contact information available for any and all financial claims for the distress caused by the original post as well as responses that post generated which may have caused additional harm.

So Roger could be personally and financially responsible for any reader who believes you have harmed Sheep by your stance as a Goat. :rolleyes:

Once we begin to follow the slippery slope of responsibility it has no end, each person, business or country has their own responsibility for their action or actions and attempts to place their responsibility on others is less than honest.

I shot an arrow into the air, it fell to earth I know not where.

If it happened to go through your head, tough luck sucker... :o

The US will always hide behind the curtain of profit driven economy... they are the #1 abusive nation in emissions but don't want to do anything about THEIR own problem. Blowing same old smoke...

Yes David we all do seem to be on planet earth together don't we... :o And it must make perfect sense in Ubermod Lee's universe that the poor nations clean up after the rich ones... :rolleyes:

Many good points for sure.......... :o :blink:

I saw much pollution on my trip to Beijing! We went to the CCTV tower to look over the city and could only see about half of it, how sad. :rolleyes:

I work with the Illinois EPA on several different areas and the city of Chicago is a special designated area and in the last few years it is cleaner. This unfortunately is just a small improvement to a bigger problem.

I also have a friend who runs a large sporting goods store and he does get one item shipped into his store that does not say made in China. So yes we as consumers are part of the problem and no end in sight. I also work with a large brake supplier and they used to make most of there rotors right here in Illinois, no more, all 100% Chinese made. We as consumers want cheap products, but as always there is an unforseen cost!! :o :blink:

So Roger could be personally and financially responsible for any reader who believes you have harmed Sheep by your stance as a Goat. :rolleyes:

I shot an arrow into the air, it fell to earth I know not where.

If it happened to go through your head, tough luck sucker... :blink:

But isn't this the American tradition of refusing to accept responsiblity for your own direct actions? :o

The developed nations like the US and Europe have long been complaining about reducing their own emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants until the developing nations like China and India do likewise. But this report from the Voice of America informs us that nearly a quarter of those carbon emissions in China are a direct result of manufacturing products that are sent to the west. China benefits by the jobs this trade creates but China suffers by the fouling of it's own air, land and water.

Research Report Says West Should Share Pollution Responsibility with China

A report published by a climate change research institute says about a quarter of China's carbon emissions are from the manufacture of goods exported to the West. The report suggests that countries importing Chinese goods should share the responsibility of the pollution caused by their manufacture.

Beijing is one of the world's most polluted cities with poor air quality. China's rapidly growing economy has catapulted that country to its position as the world's leading polluter.

But a report published by the Tyndall Centre, a climate change research institute, says some 23 percent of China's carbon emissions are generated during the manufacture of goods destined for Western consumers.

The report is called "Made in China." It questions the current practice of deciding who is responsible for emission reduction by counting carbon emissions within national borders.

It further suggests that a fair assessment of a nation's carbon footprint would include imported goods manufactured elsewhere.

Tao Wang of the University of Sussex is one of the report's co-authors.

He says although exports of carbon intensive products such as rolled steel and aluminum are increasing at more than 50 percent annually, the majority of China's trade surplus comes from less carbon intensive goods such as textiles and consumer electronics. Wang tells VOA that developed countries have a responsibility to help developing countries reduce emissions.

"Because of the huge amount of exports and manufacturing shipped to developed countries I think it's also fair to ask OECD countries to help developing countries by providing more efficient technology transfers to help them to reduce their carbon emissions," he said.

Somewhere, someone missed the point that 77% of China's pollution is caused by industrialization for it's own use. We are dwelling on the wrong figures. That's like saying that 1% of Roger's brain is functional and focusing on that number for the story, while forgetting what the remainder of the equation says about the big picture.

As aye,

Jim

The first day in our hotel in Los Angeles, Jiangyi wanted me to run water through the coffee pot so that she could drink water. I put a glass under the bathroom tap and drank from it. I repeated it three times and her mouth was on the floor. Now she drinks tap water wherever we are at. I think we have come a long way in cleaning up our act. Try that in China.

As aye,

Jim

The first day in our hotel in Los Angeles, Jiangyi wanted me to run water through the coffee pot so that she could drink water. I put a glass under the bathroom tap and drank from it. I repeated it three times and her mouth was on the floor. Now she drinks tap water wherever we are at. I think we have come a long way in cleaning up our act. Try that in China.

As aye,

Jim

Honestly jim.. what's the point?

I've never drank water in china (except from a bottle of beer).. that is a given for their country...

I'm talking a world wide statistical issue and your talking drinking water.. I know your much better than this...

Do the numbers published every year per capita... I've already shown them here on CFL too many times...

In an ideal world this would be a matter of taking care of business, not profit margins. But it is not an ideal world, after all, "environ mental case" Al Gore just won the Nobel prize while driving SUVs and living in an energy pig mansion.

...and each of us share in such Gore hypocrisy.

So what are YOU going to do about it?

Of course the ugly heads of the United States bashers have reared again.

Nobody is twisting China's arm to make these goods that we purchase. They knew they were polluting their environment when they started making all these goods. It was their choice to do so. It is going to have to be their choice to clean it up.

At one time here in the US, we unabashadly dumped crap into our rivers and skys. We were making goods that were being shipped all over the world. Did we expect other countries to come here and clean up our mess. We are still polluting but it has been curtailed greatly with the onset of awareness and new technologies (and conscience). As with all people there is a learning curve that has to take place. China is twenty years behind us in their learning curve. They are learning, but like us, greed makes the lessons take a back seat for awhile. We should certainly help by offering them access to new technologies that help curb pollution. Access that they will have to pay for.

Of course the ugly heads of the United States bashers have reared again.

Nobody is twisting China's arm to make these goods that we purchase. They knew they were polluting their environment when they started making all these goods. It was their choice to do so. It is going to have to be their choice to clean it up.

At one time here in the US, we unabashadly dumped crap into our rivers and skys. We were making goods that were being shipped all over the world. Did we expect other countries to come here and clean up our mess. We are still polluting but it has been curtailed greatly with the onset of awareness and new technologies (and conscience). As with all people there is a learning curve that has to take place. China is twenty years behind us in their learning curve. They are learning, but like us, greed makes the lessons take a back seat for awhile. We should certainly help by offering them access to new technologies that help curb pollution. Access that they will have to pay for.

Right on ...amen