Talking about culture

American culture...

Music:

Blues

Rock ('n Roll)

Jazz

Country and Western

All of these derived and evolved from Negro spirituals.

Sports...

Baseball

Football

Skateboarding

Snowboarding

Basketball

and others

All of these began or evolved in the good ole USA

Fashion...

Movies...

and on and on and on...

Our culture is multi-faceted and rich. From the playing field to the art of the deal, American Culture has touched and influenced more people around the world than any country at any time anywhere. Right or wrong, good or bad, many countries try disparately to cling to their customs and traditions while continuing to be invaded by ours.

What about food?

Hot Dogs

Hamburgers

Pizza

Tacos

Chili

guvment cheese

Fortune Cookie

Chop Suey

General Tzo's Chicken

Freedom Fries

Freedom Toast

Deep-fried Oreos

Deep-fried White Castles

Deep-Fried Twinkies

...and much, much more

I also created a sandwich for a local restaurant that sells on the average of 4,000 dollars a month. It's called the "Cajun Dutchman." A triple decker on pumpernickel, with Gouda cheese, bacon, ham, roast beef and my special Cajun mayonnaise. Yum Yum!

...and just because someone in the US conceived the idea does not make it culture; wackos putting cheese on their head and painting their beer bellies does not necessarily constitute culture.

Do you really believe that deep-fried twinkies are a cultural asset?

It seems to me that you use the term culture quite loosely...especially when it comes to the enduring part. Let's look at the list again in a hundred years...then maybe we'll be talking cultural assets.

I would concede that baseball has become an American sport even though it was conceived in Britain in the mid-1700's. Football is not an American invention it has been around thousands of years - the first references to the game were around 500 BC; it is the spectical that is the American invention. Skateboarding & snowboarding are culture?

The music forms may become cultural assets, but the forms mentioned must be associated with a sub-group of Americans; not American culture at large. Time may change that.

Oh...one more thing...the asset part is important. Do you really want to consider "drive-by shootings" part of American culture?

Anything conceived and mass produced, and accepted and utilized by societies, is CULTURE!

Great post Jason, and no, not just because he agrees with me folks. :lol: This says exactly what I was trying to say only much better. I'll just add, so many here work so hard diving onto the Chinese culture hoping to make our SOs feel at home here, myself incuded, but on the other side, we do a dis-service by not introducing them to American culture. I believe we would force them to always seem to be an outsider.

Besides, when in China, how many American resuraunts did you see? How many people wore blue jeans? Other cultures look at us and then some want to emulate us. No, I don't think we are the greatest thing ever to happen but we are good enough that others notice.

On the side, I just noticed this Jason.

Group: Members

Member No.: 915

Are you really here in Mo-town? I really think we aught to get together if we are living in the same feakin city. :cheering:

Guest ShaQuaNew
I'll just add, so many here work so hard diving onto the Chinese culture hoping to make our SOs feel at home here, myself incuded, but on the other side, we do a dis-service by not introducing them to American culture. I believe we would force them to always seem to be an outsider.

Introducing our wives to the "American Culture" is fine, expected, and a part of our responsibility. However, the rate at which any one individual can tolerate cultural immersion will also vary from person to person. Some of our Chinese wives and husbands will experience a great shock upon coming to the USA. This shock will manifest itself in the form of anger, depression, isolation, etc. The rate at which our partners can be immersed is best decided by them. If you want to educate about US culture and they don't want to hear it, then don't force the issue. They are likely getting tired of hearing about it and need a break.

On the other hand, cultural immersion is necessary in order to assimilate into American society. The experts are all nearly in agreement that the great model of bilingual education does NOT work. It simply made the student more comfortable and failed to enable them to learn English and delayed or permanently damaged their ability to assimilate. I suggest that the liklihood of that happening to a Chinese person married to an English speaking American is very unlikely.

There indeed is a cultural immerson. This can be experienced by simply taking your partner to places and letting them have the experience at their own pace. Taking in what they will. Perhaps you could go to a play, a rodeo, a sporting event, wine tasting; places where it's safe and Americans of the type you like to associate frequent. It's also good for you to go outside your own comfort zone. Maybe you hate ballet. Why not get some tickets and take your wife. Is ballet American? :greenblob:

I still think you guys are playing fast and loose with the word culture.

>>>Anything conceived and mass produced, and accepted and utilized by societies, is CULTURE!

YIMI, your comment is the point exactly.

ANYTHING conceived and mass produced?

You mean that real doll (realdoll.com) is part of American culture?

Do you accept drive-by shootings?

Do you accept drug use?

Do you accept open homosexuality?

Do you accept wide-spread crime?

Do you accept trash TV?

Do you accept total body art?

Each of those is an "American culture" that is not accepted by most Americans...and all of them are relatively new phenomena.

...accepted and utilized by societies

...so all of America is into snowboarding?

A relative handful of people doing drive-by shootings or snowboarding does not make culture.

We are a country of micro-cultures, we have no unifying culture that is common to all of us - thus - no American culture.

I have never had a deep-fried twinkie or a deep-fried oreo...

The lack of American culture is why America has been in a state of political turmoil now for many, many, many years. A common culture is a stabilizing force. America simply does not have it; instead, America is comprised of micro-cultures that divide and conquer. Again I say if America has any one belief that is nearly common it is that "all innovation and change is good" and that is not culture...however it does unify the herd on the way to the buffalo jump. :D

The lack of American culture is why America has been in a state of political turmoil now for many, many, many years. A common culture is a stabilizing force. America simply does not have it; instead, America is comprised of micro-cultures that divide and conquer. Again I say if America has any one belief that is nearly common it is that "all innovation and change is good" and that is not culture...however it does unify the herd on the way to the buffalo jump. :o

I have generally agreed with your posts;

Our diverse 'melting pot' causes cultural pockets and I think there are still deeply rooted north vs south, or east vs west mentality. I do think the resulting diversification leads to the difficulties in commonality.

And I truly agree that we have an overt focus on change, but I would say it is more of a 'forced march' mentality driven by every sector whether political, economic, media & pop culture of each generation. Maybe the reason our psychological underpinnings change so much is because people change so much since society is changing so much.

Compared to china, where "change" has been a fundamental truism of nature since the dawn of man; they accept change as inevitable, but historically did not make a psychology of it; it stays in their philosophy.

The lack of American culture is why America has been in a state of political turmoil now for many, many, many years. A common culture is a stabilizing force. America simply does not have it; instead, America is comprised of micro-cultures that divide and conquer. Again I say if America has any one belief that is nearly common it is that "all innovation and change is good" and that is not culture...however it does unify the herd on the way to the buffalo jump. :o

Our diverse 'melting pot' causes cultural pockets and I think there are still deeply rooted north vs south, or east vs west mentality. I do think the resulting diversification leads to the difficulties in commonality.

And I truly agree that we have an overt focus on change, but I would say it is more of a 'forced march' mentality driven by every sector whether political, economic, media & pop culture of each generation. Maybe the reason our psychological underpinnings change so much is because people change so much since society is changing so much.

Compared to china, where "change" has been a fundamental truism of nature since the dawn of man; they accept change as inevitable, but historically did not make a psychology of it; it stays in their philosophy.

I think we are sort of preselected for change. Most of us are a few or maybe more thana few generations from our ancestors that came to the US. Most of our ancestors came since they wanted some kind of change. Maybe freedom to be jewish or freedom to be an anabaptist. Or maybe to make a better economic life. They all chose to change what they currently had. Many came here to be left alone and live their life without interference. These values are fairly common across the US. They involve change and the desire to be left alone. Many also chose to live a better life than what they left behind. These seem to be common.

I think we are sort of preselected for change. Most of us are a few or maybe more thana few generations from our ancestors that came to the US. Most of our ancestors came since they wanted some kind of change. Maybe freedom to be jewish or freedom to be an anabaptist. Or maybe to make a better economic life. They all chose to change what they currently had. Many came here to be left alone and live their life without interference. These values are fairly common across the US. They involve change and the desire to be left alone. Many also chose to live a better life than what they left behind. These seem to be common.

I agree.. it's just the rapid face of change increases when it becomes a piece of society's nooks and crannies... Everytime I find a shoe that I really like, I know there is a good chance I'll never find it again, by the time my current shoe needs replacing. Computer systems rapidly change in areas that are not necessarily best for use but certainly feed profit. It's change for the sake of change and is irregardless of practicality or common sense at times.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Who are "THEY?" Change is unique with no two people on earth confronting and dealing with it in the same way. To attribute cultural adjustment to a whole culture is not only unfair, but inaccurate.

Drug use is not a relatively new phenomenon in the US.

I have never had a deep-fried twinkie or a deep-fried oreo...

You should try them. You would then be engrained in American culture. "Open your mind...Open your mind!"

A relative handful of people doing drive-by shootings does not make culture.

But it sure makes interesting fodder for the masses, and sells papers and adverstising space.

The lack of American culture is why America has been in a state of political turmoil now for many, many, many years. A common culture is a stabilizing force.

???

Did China lack culture during many years of political turmoil? ie. Lotus Rebellion, Boxer Rebellion, 1911 Revolution overthrowing the Qing Dynasty, Mao's tenure with The Great Leap Forward and The Cultural Revolution.

So what you are saying is that a stable, efficient political entity is defined by sharing a common culture?

Okay, I see where this is headed, so I'm refraining from political commentary.

HAPPY POSTING!

...and make sure to to try a deep-fried bacon cheesburger on a stick the next time you're at the County Fair.

mmm..mmm...American culture tastes so good!

Who are "THEY?" Change is unique with no two people on earth confronting and dealing with it in the same way. To attribute cultural adjustment to a whole culture is not only unfair, but inaccurate.

My meaning is: Change is an accepted historical and philosophical truism; it is not necessarily jumped ship to psychological tendency like here in the US.

Although, I'm not talking about cultural adjustment here... just life in one's own culture.. but I would say that what each person holds as true in their own culture, they will [at least at first] live as if that were true anywhere else.. over time, things 'change'...

Guest ShaQuaNew

My meaning is: Change is an accepted historical and philosophical truism; it is not necessarily jumped ship to psychological tendency like here in the US.

Although, I'm not talking about cultural adjustment here... just life in one's own culture.. but I would say that what each person holds as true in their own culture, they will [at least at first] live as if that were true anywhere else.. over time, things 'change'...

Huh?

:o

I can agree with this, but just to argue: Modern China is more about neo-Confucianism, not Taoism. Taoism is all about the change and flow of life. Confucianism is the rigid system of responsibility. Today's China does not really speak much about flow or change. Today's china is more about rigid systems.

I can agree with this, but just to argue: Modern China is more about neo-Confucianism, not Taoism. Taoism is all about the change and flow of life. Confucianism is the rigid system of responsibility. Today's China does not really speak much about flow or change. Today's china is more about rigid systems.

yep... but I do think that daoism is more culturally latent, so that most don't really see it at work in themselves... but it's there still (like gravity acting on us without thinking about it). Neo-C is the controlling aspect of the culture for over 500 years..which communism has always sought to dismantle (and has to some extent).

Guest ShaQuaNew

I agree, but only in part. I think it would be very difficult to describe the American culture in this day and age. Far too many variables and differences of opinion.

That's an excellent point and I would submit that it's becoming (is?) equally valid when looking at Chinese culture. One only has to look at the differences between rural China and urban China or the regional differences. Beijing vs Guangzhou is probably as different as Boston vs Atlanta.

While some generalization about Chinese and American cultures is useful we should not lose sight of the variations within the culture as well as the specific nature of the individuals interacting.

Good point.

:o

The CP tried to displace not so much dimantle the Neo-C. They wanted to build this alignment to the state. The state is more imporant than farther and God.