ESL

My wife has been taking ESL classes at SF City College for some time now.

When she is at home, doing homework, she often asks for help.

I will look at her lessons and in my mind I can complete them in little time at all.

I try to keep things to "this a a better word to use" and "add a comma here" etc.

I often feel guilty for "cutting her off".

Does anybody have this same feeling?

Other than that I do my best to teach her american (GI) slang. :D

I give Yu help, by explaining various words, grammar, and punctuation.

That is part of our relationship, Yu is a sponge wanting to know English better, always wanting me to correct her. And always laughs when I do catch a misspoken word.

Yu is in intermediate ESL this semester.

That is part of our relationship, Yu is a sponge wanting to know English better, always wanting me to correct her. And always laughs when I do catch a misspoken word.

Same here, but grammar is hard for her to grasp at the moment since she's at the beginner level. She's made great strides and is ever so enthusiastic about learning.

Same here, but grammar is hard for her to grasp at the moment since she's at the beginner level. She's made great strides and is ever so enthusiastic about learning.

Yu was Vice Principal and English teacher at a foreign language school in Yangsho, Guangxi before coming to the USA, always disliked teaching grammar.

ESL classes were a total flop for my wife. She stopped going after saying that she came to learn english but everybody spoke spanish!

I tend to agree with her.

Mengwei was lucky to have 5 Chinese classmates who are now her friends.

My wife started going to ESL classes about three weeks ago. In fact she goes to two of them. One in the morning, 9-noon, and another one on another campus in the afternoon 12:30 - 4pm. Both are advance level but she says the morning one is harder than the afternoon. I will disclose that my wife did study English as her major in college so I fully expected her to place in the advance level classes but she does need more practice speaking English as oppose to book knowledge of English. With these two classes, she's getting the practice she needs.

She really likes the classes, not only because of learning to speak English better, but she's learning lots of things from all cultures over the world. There are students from many different countries and she's learning about their cultures first hand. She wasn't expecting that but is really enjoying that aspect.

pkfops wrote:

I often feel guilty for "cutting her off".

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I think I have an idea. My wife will be saying a sentence in English and half way through the sentence she'll make a grammatical mistake. I interrupt to correct her mistake before I forget. Is this what you mean? If so, I'm guilty of that. And yes, it does disturb the flow of what she's trying to say and at times it'll put her off. If I do it too often in a conversation, she'll just stop the conversation. ;)

Cutting her off.

I mean by not doing the entire lesson for her.

I give her a few hints and some help then let her

do the rest on her own; trying to keep her in the right direction.

After I've left her alone for awhile, I go back and check her progress.

Oh, I see. Haven't had to do that. She doesn't get a lot of homework, but what she does get, she does on her own. She does ask me questions from time to time but have never handed me a homework sheet to fill out for her. :)