Easiest interview ever and other random ramblings

Kris-Jing

Once Jing finally got her turn today things couldn't have been easier. VO was an Asian guy, she said his English was pretty poor and she had a hard time understanding him. But like any proud Shanghainese girl, she wasn't going to switch to Mandarin. Turns out it was no big deal. He asked for her passport, she asked if he wanted mine also, he said sure and gave it a quick look. Then asked her for the I-134. She asked if he wanted the copies of my paychecks, employment letter, etc, he just said no, he didn't need any of that, and congrats, you pass.

This whole process couldn't have been easier. Our circumstances are outside of what seems to be the norm here in a few ways, I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

Now random things.

Guangzhou is strange. I've never seen a city anywhere near that size with such a laid back slow pace. Very different from places like Shanghai. I saw lots of 6 lanes roads with no traffic on them, and couldn't help having thoughts like "where did all the people go?"

The Grand Palace Hotel is a 2 star at best. At least the internet was free and we only stayed one night. We only paid 445RMB and I should have gone with my initial gut instinct of avoiding places like that. I didn't see anything in the vicinity of the consulate that provided quality accommodations other than the Westin. If I ever had to go back there that is where I would stay.

We're now in Hong Kong, things sure are clean here, the Kowloon Shangri-La hotel is awesome, with service as good as any hotel I have stayed in anywhere. Off to the Ocean Park tomorrow. Rode a bus over here, that takes too long, so we will take a train back to pick up the visa on Thursday, then fly back to Shanghai.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once Jing finally got her turn today things couldn't have been easier. VO was an Asian guy, she said his English was pretty poor and she had a hard time understanding him. But like any proud Shanghainese girl, she wasn't going to switch to Mandarin. Turns out it was no big deal. He asked for her passport, she asked if he wanted mine also, he said sure and gave it a quick look. Then asked her for the I-134. She asked if he wanted the copies of my paychecks, employment letter, etc, he just said no, he didn't need any of that, and congrats, you pass.

This whole process couldn't have been easier. Our circumstances are outside of what seems to be the norm here in a few ways, I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

Great, Congratulations.

Eat moon cake and celebrate.

Hey Kris... what am I, about 1000 feet from you if you are still in GUZ.... ha ha.. congrats on the pink....

I am curious how soon Jing number got called from where you were in line this morning... As you know at ACH.. the numbers were not called in order.. figure it is the same for the interviews..

>L

Congrats on your SO's interview success. ;) Have a safe flight back to the US.

As my wife (SO at the time) is from Shanghai as well, I looked into this in depth (with DavidZ's help) and it seems there are VERY FEW--perhaps only one case on CFL--where a Shanghai SO was issued a blue slip. Almost everyone's SO from Shanghai has passed very easily and received PINK on their first try.

In our case, my then-SO didn't even get to give my I-134 to her VO. He asked 8 quick questions, looked over some of our photos and asked for my taxes and then issued her PINK. All told, it took less than 5 minutes for the entire interview.

It does royally suck for some SOs from other parts of China who have to endure much greater scrutiny, but there is good evidence from CFL that SH SOs have a very easy time at the GUZ interview.