The I-134 is an old document that USCIS has not updated in years.

The consulate tends to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above 125% povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

GET IRS Transcripts. If self employed a then letter from employer or pay stubs wont be needed.

Example of why not to use bank statements: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=334360

So did you get the employment letter notarized?

Not sure why I notarized letter from employer (plus notarized copy of it) but don't mind over-kill. Notarization generally just means authentic copy or witnessed signing doesn't it? Why notarize originals?

Yeah, this one's a new one on me. We don't need the employer letter notarized do we?

(I fixed the quotes on this on. You can thank me later :P) Just kidding! :)

The I-134 instrucions only say a letter of employment on business stationery. It says nothing about notarization but I think that has always been the norm that is popular among visa petitioners.

It doesn't have to be notarized but I tend to think that it makes the document look more official and valid. Be sure to get the embossed seal and not just a signature from the Notary Public. Some states, like VA, they only have to sign and not seal but I always insist on the seal.

So they just sign and put the seal right on the letter? I'm more familiar with the docs like the I-134 that have the space for the notary to fill in.

They'll stamp it showing a signature/date line somewhere down at the bottom of the letter. You sign it, they'll sign it and then emboss it with the seal. Make sure they use the seal.

NO, only thing notarized was the I-134 form, the transcripts have all the data need and are usable in place of the (1040/W2/1099)

I don't get it I guess.

If I am well above the poverty line, been at my job for 8 years.

Seems like I-864 should be no problem.

Notarizing the employer statement just says that your signature on it is actually your signature. Doesn't say anything about the contents of the letter.

I don't get why this would be wanted.

I don't get it I guess.

Notarizing the employer statement just says that your signature on it is actually your signature. Doesn't say anything about the contents of the letter.

I-864 is different than I-134, by signing the I-864 YOU are swearing under penalty of perjury that all attached financial evidence is true and correct, this includes the employer letter, tax data, and pay stubs.
Are the Affidavit of Support forms required to be notarized?

No. The sponsor just has to sign the form. You should know however, when the sponsor signs an Affidavit of Support form, he/she certifies that the information provided, transcript and/or photocopy of tax documentation is true and correct, under penalty of perjury.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

This is not the case with the I-134, only the signature on the form is notarized, proving that the person signing that form is who they say they are, but the attached documents may be in-correct. This is why some to be on the safe side get the supporting documents notarized for the I-134.

I don't get it I guess.

It shouldn't be your signature...

it should be someone at your company.

The consulate tends to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above 125% povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

GET IRS Transcripts. If self employed a then letter from employer or pay stubs wont be needed.

Example of why not to use bank statements: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=334360

I will heed your advice and omit bank letter (but bring it with me just in case). Thank you for the eye-opener Dan!

I will heed your advice and omit bank letter (but bring it with me just in case). Thank you for the eye-opener Dan!

I hate to disagree here, but the suspicion in their case was over who funded the trips. If they see unexplained deposits on the statements, this may look suspicious. I drew up a paper explaining where my "unexplained" deposits came from (and included the corresponding statements from my brokerage), just in case (they weren't asked for).

Also they want a letter stating my trips to china and who arranged everything and what we did.

When they want more time to investigate a case, they can ask for anything you don't have. In my opinion, it's best to leave them some "open doors" that you can easily close.

This applies even if they simply want to toss you a few hoops to jump through.

I hate to disagree here, but the suspicion in their case was over who funded the trips. If they see unexplained deposits on the statements, this may look suspicious. I drew up a paper explaining where my "unexplained" deposits came from (and included the corresponding statements from my brokerage), just in case (they weren't asked for).

Also they want a letter stating my trips to china and who arranged everything and what we did.

When they want more time to investigate a case, they can ask for anything you don't have. In my opinion, it's best to leave them some "open doors" that you can easily close.

This applies even if they simply want to toss you a few hoops to jump through.

So do you suggest leaving the bank letter IN my "kitchen sink"? It basically says that I have done business with them since 1991. Have 3 accounts, account numbers, dates opened, present balance, amount deposited last 12 months. Signed and stamped and call if questions.

It supports amount in savings as stated on I-134 and was suggested by service that helped with I-129.

Keep or dump?

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

Not sure why I notarized letter from employer (plus notarized copy of it) but don't mind over-kill. Notarization generally just means authentic copy or witnessed signing doesn't it? Why notarize originals?

Yeah, this one's a new one on me. We don't need the employer letter notarized do we?

(I fixed the quotes on this on. You can thank me later :D) Just kidding! :blink:

The I-134 instrucions only say a letter of employment on business stationery. It says nothing about notarization but I think that has always been the norm that is popular among visa petitioners.

It doesn't have to be notarized but I tend to think that it makes the document look more official and valid. Be sure to get the embossed seal and not just a signature from the Notary Public. Some states, like VA, they only have to sign and not seal but I always insist on the seal.

So they just sign and put the seal right on the letter? I'm more familiar with the docs like the I-134 that have the space for the notary to fill in.

They'll stamp it showing a signature/date line somewhere down at the bottom of the letter. You sign it, they'll sign it and then emboss it with the seal. Make sure they use the seal.

My notary's seal is just a stamp with seal, her name, and when it expires. She then hand signs her name only underneath her stamp. No more embossing in Florida I'm told. She even said date not required. (I did ask if she can drip wax, or chocolate or just spill something on my form?)

So do you suggest leaving the bank letter IN my "kitchen sink"? It basically says that I have done business with them since 1991. Have 3 accounts, account numbers, dates opened, present balance, amount deposited last 12 months. Signed and stamped and call if questions.

It supports amount in savings as stated on I-134 and was suggested by service that helped with I-129.

Keep or dump?

In your kitchen sink - DEFINITELY! No reason to NOT have it handy in case they ask for it.

If the deposits wouldn't raise any eyebrows, I would (and did) include it with the I-134. It seems to me that having a lot of money (as illustrated by a pile of statements, ala Jim&Sarha) helps your case go through more smoothly - others may disagree, however.

I did, and copied it, and notarized both.

Keep or dump?

In your kitchen sink - DEFINITELY! No reason to NOT have it handy in case they ask for it.

If the deposits wouldn't raise any eyebrows, I would (and did) include it with the I-134. It seems to me that having a lot of money (as illustrated by a pile of statements, ala Jim&Sarha) helps your case go through more smoothly - others may disagree, however.

I never said ALOT of money! Actually, not bad since my home business did well last year but gave that up back in May. Just opened savings account in May which may look funny, but since starting new job in May, I'm back to mostly personal checking and savings and want to build them up with my SO for our future vacations.

I plan to include W-2's since I was married (though separated) during 2004 and 2005. For some reason, my ex's divorce lawyer pushed hard for us to refile our 2005 taxes as married filing jointly, which I did. Since this means those years show a pool of income on our tax transcripts, who earned what can only be determined by the W-2s.