Interview Result...

Sorry about the speedy bump, but I'm sure you'll get pink by the end.

Our relationship is also relatively short. I'm just curious, how long did you know each other before the engagement and how many times did you go to China to see her?

The interview lasted about 20-25 minutes. Lychee was asked so many questions. The VO seemed to have a hard time with our short relationship before engagement. This may be short for American standards but very common in chinese culture around Fujian. She was probed about our relationship.. first meetings... time together in china... my job... and was asked again about our short time in a relationship before deciding to marry. He then asked for our pictures. Lychee gave them to him and explain them. She gave him our chat conversations and e-mail. Next he asked for my I-134 and tax information. She gave him my tax information, with my affidavit of support, my letter from my bank showing amount deposited since it was opened, my letter from my employer showing my employment status and salary, and every pay stub since I started working there. In the end he decided to give her a blue slip and stated she must hand him in-person my bank statements since I opened my account. Lychee was devistated. She felt he was trying to "play father" and make us wait longer because he feels things are too fast. Regardless I am mailing out the required documents tomorrow and we'll just have to wait until GZ finally decides to reschedule us for another interview. This time it'll have come congressional power behind it compliments of my good buddy Goodlatte.

:o

Edit: Also they want a letter stating my trips to china and who arranged everything and what we did. The thing is... Lychee ALREADY gave my letter to the VO with that EXACT information in it... :D

On the blue slip they have 3 boxes to refuse you with and one fill-in-the-blank one... The boxes refer you to the sections of Immigration and Nationality Act which describe ineligibility. The three listed sections are 221(g), 212(a)(4), and 212(a)(9)( :(. More information about these sections can be described in detail here...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligib...ities_1364.html

They are very broad terms giving the VO much leniency on the grounds of denial. That's just FYI info. We were rejected based on 221(g). Our "blue slip" consisted of two blue papers and was accompanied by 2 pink papers stating that the VO has reason to believe the relationship is not bona fide. These are good info for making your "Kitchen Sink" and covering all your bases. I still recommend giving them more than they ask for since they want proof of a relationship. I went to China only once. We knew each other 2 months before engagement. This may be uncommon for Americans (not really if you know my relatives) but in Chinese culture, especially in small towns around Fuzhou it's not uncommon to find someone marry someone else they don't even know yet becaues it was arranged by their parents. Also, it's not too far-out to conceive that two people, who studied each other's language in hopes of one day possibly marrying cross-culture, could meet one day and after two months fall in love, and in no less than 7 months of knowing each other... possibly marry.

Edited by Zachary And Lychee (see edit history)

On the blue slip they have 3 boxes to refuse you with and one fill-in-the-blank one... The boxes refer you to the sections of Immigration and Nationality Act which describe ineligibility. The three listed sections are 221(g), 212(a)(4), and 212(a)(9)( :(. More information about these sections can be described in detail here...

They are very broad terms giving the VO much leniency on the grounds of denial. That's just FYI info. We were rejected based on 221(g). Our "blue slip" consisted of two blue papers and was accompanied by 2 pink papers stating that the VO has reason to believe the relationship is not bona fide. These are good info for making your "Kitchen Sink" and covering all your bases. I still recommend giving them more than they ask for since they want proof of a relationship. I went to China only once. We knew each other 2 months before engagement. This may be uncommon for Americans (not really if you know my relatives) but in Chinese culture, especially in small towns around Fuzhou it's not uncommon to find someone marry someone else they don't even know yet becaues it was arranged by their parents. Also, it's not too far-out to conceive that two people, who studied each other's language in hopes of one day possibly marrying cross-culture, could meet one day and after two months fall in love, and in no less than 7 months of knowing each other... possibly marry.

In addition to what David said in regards to fiances, I think your short engagement and only one trip may have caught their attention.

While it might be true as you say, "This may be uncommon for Americans (not really if you know my relatives) but in Chinese culture, especially in small towns around Fuzhou it's not uncommon to find someone marry someone else they don't even know yet because it was arranged by their parents", it's not the Chinese that need convincing of your relationship, it is the folks at USCONGUZ that need to validate your relationship. USCONGUZ is in the business of looking out for visa fraud, etc and I doubt they are interested in how relationships in Fuzhou are carried out.

I also think you would have a hard time having USCONGUZ buy into your thought of, "Also, it's not too far-out to conceive that two people, who studied each other's language in hopes of one day possibly marrying cross-culture, could meet one day and after two months fall in love, and in no less than 7 months of knowing each other... possibly marry."

As an old cowboy who spends time teaching university students in China, I think I would leave out the cultural arguments and focus on facts that prove your relationship in a tangible way. Good luck on your overcome.

As aye,

Jim

In addition to what David said in regards to fiances, I think your short engagement and only one trip may have caught their attention.

While it might be true as you say, "This may be uncommon for Americans (not really if you know my relatives) but in Chinese culture, especially in small towns around Fuzhou it's not uncommon to find someone marry someone else they don't even know yet because it was arranged by their parents", it's not the Chinese that need convincing of your relationship, it is the folks at USCONGUZ that need to validate your relationship. USCONGUZ is in the business of looking out for visa fraud, etc and I doubt they are interested in how relationships in Fuzhou are carried out.

I also think you would have a hard time having USCONGUZ buy into your thought of, "Also, it's not too far-out to conceive that two people, who studied each other's language in hopes of one day possibly marrying cross-culture, could meet one day and after two months fall in love, and in no less than 7 months of knowing each other... possibly marry."

As an old cowboy who spends time teaching university students in China, I think I would leave out the cultural arguments and focus on facts that prove your relationship in a tangible way. Good luck on your overcome.

As aye,

Jim

I intended on keeping my cutural arguments only on this board where they mattered and held weight. As for the interview... I've got a whole slew of overcome relationship evidence coming their way!

"I fear nothing when I am in the right!" - Abbott and Costello in "Jack and the Beanstalk"

On the blue slip they have 3 boxes to refuse you with and one fill-in-the-blank one... The boxes refer you to the sections of Immigration and Nationality Act which describe ineligibility. The three listed sections are 221(g), 212(a)(4), and 212(a)(9)( :). More information about these sections can be described in detail here...

Personally I think you are very lucky you did not get the white denial paper. You must have had a nicer VO than I had.

Hang in there Zach.

Plan B

Schedule the appointment, give the Consulate the evidence, and wait for a decision.

While it's hard not to have emotional response in regard to the Consulate, they simply don't operate on emotions. Try not to burn too much energy, it will only make one crazy.

Most of all take care of your Lychee.

Guest Rob & Jin

Hang in there Zach.

Plan B

Schedule the appointment, give the Consulate the evidence, and wait for a decision.

While it's hard not to have emotional response in regard to the Consulate, they simply don't operate on emotions. Try not to burn too much energy, it will only make one crazy.

Most of all take care of your Lychee.

Hang in there, take a breath, compose yourself, be strong for HER, you will overcome

Guest Mike and Lily

This further confirms my theory that if they see something they don't like, they look for a technicality to give you the blue. Some applications they hardly look at all, others they scruitinize with a fine tooth comb. They didn't like the length of your relationship, so they found some ticky-tack discrepancy to fail you on. That is the main reason everyone should carry a fully detailed kitchen sink to cover every possiblity. If they don't like anything, they can scruitnize your application for anything to trip you up.

But don't despair, they will very likely let you through with ease next time. But for now, you must wait. Good luck on your overcome.

Thanks people. Maybe they were jealous of my record time and said "woah woah woah how'd this guy slip through so fast?" :P

If I may ask, how did Lychee get an overcome date so quickly?

The same way I got to the first interview so quickly... Chocolates. Godiva Chocolates. :P Just kidding. Anyways, immediately after hearing she was denied I called up the non-free visa line and after two attempts in 12 minute intervals I was able to provide the necessary information to schedule the overcome interview for Lychee. I spoke with a guy named Rocky on the phone who was a kewl guy. He asked for the following information about Lychee:

Birthdate,

National Identification Number,

Passport Number,

Case Number,

Phone number,

First and Last Name

Make sure you have this handy or else you'll have to buy another pin and call back and start from the beginning with the information. My cell phone actually dropped the call mid-conversation once and I called back, all three times I got the same guy. He said the first available time was Oct 22 at 2 PM. He'll then give you an appointment number. I recommend the petitioner do this himself. Don't let the SO in China do it. Lychee never had success before trying to use this service in China. She would wait forever until time ran out. I've always had immediate response and success doing it myself in English.

Steve I understand you're point, but the main reason behind our failing is because of the short timespan between meeting and getting engaged. I am afraid that if I don't go to China it will hurt our follow-up... however the follow-up is scheduled for 2:00PM this time... what does that mean? Does it mean she'll just drop off the information and leave? Will she be interviewed again? How do you guys handle the plane tickets when you go for the interviews? Do you buy 2 round trip tickets? And if so, if she gets denied do you get a refund on your tickets or just eat a $1000 loss? Remember I'm a young guy right out of college and even though I'm doing well with my job now, if I planned anything for this follow-up and things fell through, it would take me a while to save up enough money again for both of use to come home together.

Edit:

The Guangzhou consulate website states on FAQ about "My visa application was denied. Where, when and how do I submit additional required documents?":

You may come to the consulate to submit them. We will provide you a decision on your application the next afternoon. ......

http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/kvfaq.html

If this is the case, that's giving us a 50/50 chance again and makes the idea of going back to China a little more palatable. Is this a question we can "Ask Guangzhou" about? Will the answer be given the next afternoon as they stated?

If at all possible go to the overcome and have the SO show the VO your passport ,

The reason they want detailed records of your account is to see if any moneys were paid to you by your SO.

If there is any large sum transaction in the records you need to have further documentation to prove where the moneys came from and that they were NOT somehow tied to your SO.

Don't buy 2 round trip tickets yet

We were able to get tickets tickets on the same flight from a travel agency in China after the Visa was approved .

Good Luck :)