Police certificate for foreigner in Guangzhou, China

My fiance is citizenship of South Korea, and she went to school in Guangzhou, China for 2 years. I am applying for a K-1 visa for her and she needs a Police Certificate for her stay in Guangzhou.

How would I go about getting one?

I dont think the police have any information about her, also she doesnt have a residence card for China.

Thanks for your help.

here is what is in our FAQ:

--------

Police Report, Foreign resident of China:

¡±If he/she did not register with the local police station while he/she lived or worked in China, he/she would not be able to get the initial certificate from the local police station.¡± -- USCONGUZ

I'm a foreign fiancee in China too. I got 3 years residency in China. I have been scheduled for interview and I have a police report from the Provincial Notary Office.

What I did was to inform all my past and employers (have been living in the same city/province) that I needed a Police Certificate. They all gave me letters of no criminal record which I took to the PSB. The PSB asked me to come back after a week. Then the PSB gave me a letter in Chinese which I took to the Provincial Notary Office. And this letter was used to prepare my police certificate which was translated to English and notarized.

For a third country national, he/she should apply for the initial certificate of no criminal record from the local police station as well as from the work unit where he/she resided and worked while in China. Based on this certificate, he/she can apply for the notarial certificate of no criminal record.

Foreign National Police Certificate for China -- USCONGUZ

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17981

Paper for Police

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17980

Other countries? Start looking here:

http://www.kamya.com/misc/polcert.html

My fiance is citizenship of South Korea, and she went to school in Guangzhou, China for 2 years. I am applying for a K-1 visa for her and she needs a Police Certificate for her stay in Guangzhou.

I dont think the police have any information about her, also she doesnt have a residence card for China.

Thanks for your help.

I am a foreign fiancee in China too, and I was able to get the police certificate. First, I went to the local PSB where I am registered with my current living address and they gave me the paper staying my residency address in China. Then I went to the public notary bureau and applied for the police certificate in english. In a week I got it. Good luck!

Thanks for your help.

I am a foreign fiancee in China too, and I was able to get the police certificate. First, I went to the local PSB where I am registered with my current living address and they gave me the paper staying my residency address in China. Then I went to the public notary bureau and applied for the police certificate in english. In a week I got it. Good luck!

How do I search for PSB in guangzhou? Also a where can I find a public notary bureau?

Right now, I'm living in the US and my fiance is living in Korea. I plan on going to Guangzhou to meet with my fiance this winter and would like as much info I can get so there wont be any delays.

Thanks for your help guys!

How do I search for PSB in guangzhou? Also a where can I find a public notary bureau?

Right now, I'm living in the US and my fiance is living in Korea. I plan on going to Guangzhou to meet with my fiance this winter and would like as much info I can get so there wont be any delays.

Thanks for your help guys!

Does your fiancee remember the address she stayed in Guangzhou? Was she registered at the local PSB? If she was, then she should go to that PSB where she was registered and ask them to issue the paper saying she was staying at ...... (address) from the period .... untill ...... Then go to the public notary bureau (can find out calling 114 in Guangzhou and ask them the phone no. for Guangzhou gong zheng ju.

There's the other way to get the police certificate: apply in South Korea in Chinese embassy. Hope it'll help you.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your help.

Hi DCCY,

We are in a similar situation. Did the PSB in Guangzhou issue you the police certificate? We asked our local PSB here in Shanghai¡¡and they won't issue it.

This was on visa journey last week

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93637

"For future reference, I know exactly how to handle this situation now.

Anyone who runs into this hurdle in any country should be able to follow this same procedure.

I contacted by email the US Department of State located in China, explaining the exact details of the situation--including where she worked and the dates she did, etc.

They responded the same day with the private email address of the American Citizen Services of China, and when I gave them the same email I sent before, they responded immediately with the answer, in writing, in the email, from the U.S. Consulate in China by a Chief Immigration Officer.

It stated specifically that what was written on the reciprocity table on the U.S. department of state's website was still accurate and verified with local authorities.

Next step is to send an email the US Consulate of Manila and explain what steps you've taken so far and ask them what further action they'd have you to take--this shows you're making an effort on your end.

They will send a letter to your fiancee with her Packet 4 that states exactly what to do next.

They will inform her to get a copy of the letter you received from the Chief Immigration Officer, and take it to that country's Embassy in the Philippines, then get it verified, authenticated and notarized by that embassy's official, and then make a copy of the reciprocity table portion dealing with the issue also, and bring that to the interview along with your other evidence.

So in the end, what you need is:

1) Authenticated, notarized and signed letter verifying the email the American Citizen Services Official sends you. The Embassy stated that this MUST be done by the Chinese Embassy of the Philippines by Mr. Wang. This will vary per country, obviously.

2) A copy of the reciprocity table website portion that states exactly what they verified with you in writing with the local police officials.

3) A verbal explanation to the Immigration Officer that interviews you that you made the attempt to obtain the Police Certificate, but the above evidence is all that was obtainable.

This officer should make a note on your form, and it should no longer be an issue.

In the end, the REASON certain Visa classes are not eligible for Police Records is because some Businesses do not handle Visa's correctly and do what's known as "same-day" stamping of the passport--even though the worker lives in the country far more than one day.

This is an attempt to save money on taxes and other fees, and to relieve them of liabilities they'd otherwise obtain if they were to correctly stamp the workers' passports. China is very notorious for this scandal.

As a result, they will not release Police Certificates for certain Multiple Business Visa classes or under certain timeframes depending on the country's inner ethic.

Hope this helps others that get caught in the rut we were in!"

Anyone who runs into this hurdle in any country should be able to follow this same procedure.

I contacted by email the US Department of State located in China, explaining the exact details of the situation--including where she worked and the dates she did, etc.

They responded the same day with the private email address of the American Citizen Services of China, and when I gave them the same email I sent before, they responded immediately with the answer, in writing, in the email, from the U.S. Consulate in China by a Chief Immigration Officer.

It stated specifically that what was written on the reciprocity table on the U.S. department of state's website was still accurate and verified with local authorities.

Next step is to send an email the US Consulate of Manila and explain what steps you've taken so far and ask them what further action they'd have you to take--this shows you're making an effort on your end.

They will send a letter to your fiancee with her Packet 4 that states exactly what to do next.

They will inform her to get a copy of the letter you received from the Chief Immigration Officer, and take it to that country's Embassy in the Philippines, then get it verified, authenticated and notarized by that embassy's official, and then make a copy of the reciprocity table portion dealing with the issue also, and bring that to the interview along with your other evidence.

1) Authenticated, notarized and signed letter verifying the email the American Citizen Services Official sends you. The Embassy stated that this MUST be done by the Chinese Embassy of the Philippines by Mr. Wang. This will vary per country, obviously.

2) A copy of the reciprocity table website portion that states exactly what they verified with you in writing with the local police officials.

3) A verbal explanation to the Immigration Officer that interviews you that you made the attempt to obtain the Police Certificate, but the above evidence is all that was obtainable.

This officer should make a note on your form, and it should no longer be an issue.

In the end, the REASON certain Visa classes are not eligible for Police Records is because some Businesses do not handle Visa's correctly and do what's known as "same-day" stamping of the passport--even though the worker lives in the country far more than one day.

This is an attempt to save money on taxes and other fees, and to relieve them of liabilities they'd otherwise obtain if they were to correctly stamp the workers' passports. China is very notorious for this scandal.

As a result, they will not release Police Certificates for certain Multiple Business Visa classes or under certain timeframes depending on the country's inner ethic.

David Z, if this is true, maybe put it in the FAQ for future reference.

• 1 year later...

I just came across this posting, I am a US citizen and I am in the last stages of my paperwork of bring my Nigerian husband to the US, he lived in Guangzhou from 2004-2008 and now the National VISA Center is asking for a police certificate and I am having a hard time getting it. Someone did tell me that because he was on a F VISA the PSB would not issue him one. I have called every number possible and I have had two of his friends go to the police where he lived along with a email from the American Embassy in Guangzhou written in Chinese but they are saying they dont issue these documents. Any help?

I just came across this posting, I am a US citizen and I am in the last stages of my paperwork of bring my Nigerian husband to the US, he lived in Guangzhou from 2004-2008 and now the National VISA Center is asking for a police certificate and I am having a hard time getting it. Someone did tell me that because he was on a F VISA the PSB would not issue him one. I have called every number possible and I have had two of his friends go to the police where he lived along with a email from the American Embassy in Guangzhou written in Chinese but they are saying they dont issue these documents. Any help?

Again NVC cannot demand sonething that does not exist.

He went on a F VISA when exiting he got a L VISA, he did register with the Police in his garden where he lived.

As I noted before, The China PSB does not issue certs for F and L Visas, this is noted on DOS website in the Reciprocity tables, all you need to do is note this and provide photocopies of the visas noting the type of visa. The consulates and NVC use the reciprocity tables and will not demand you to get something that does not exist.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=510317
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just read the post and let me share my experiences in Beijing with getting the police certificate.

I am a Russian citizen and I lived here for 4 years, I went to the local police station, and they said I needed to go to every police station within Beijing for every address I ever stayed at.

I said its ridiculous, and went to the foreigner visa section of the Entry and Exit Bureau.

They gave me the address of the place that is the affiliate of the Entry and Exit Bureau and deals with the police certs.

I went there, presented my passports (current and old), and in 2 weeks time I received a police certificate stating I have no criminal record in Beijing.

I didn't have to present any employer letters or local police station letters.

I hope this was helpful.

Good luck

Hi, I just read the post and let me share my experiences in Beijing with getting the police certificate.

I am a Russian citizen and I lived here for 4 years, I went to the local police station, and they said I needed to go to every police station within Beijing for every address I ever stayed at.

I said its ridiculous, and went to the foreigner visa section of the Entry and Exit Bureau.

They gave me the address of the place that is the affiliate of the Entry and Exit Bureau and deals with the police certs.

I went there, presented my passports (current and old), and in 2 weeks time I received a police certificate stating I have no criminal record in Beijing.

I didn't have to present any employer letters or local police station letters.

I hope this was helpful.

Good luck

What visa type were you living in China on? If it was a resident visa like a work visa, then yes a police report is able to be got, but if it was on a visitors F or L Visa, then no police record is available, a record is not kept on persons visiting China, only on persons legally residing in China.

What visa type were you living in China on? If it was a resident visa like a work visa, then yes a police report is able to be got, but if it was on a visitors F or L Visa, then no police record is available, a record is not kept on persons visiting China, only on persons legally residing in China.

Jiaying had to get her own police report from the city of Houston (since they didn't like her fingerprints) - it was basically a "haven't heard of her" declaration.