China Bashing on Economics...Why it's Wrong...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me out.

America is guilty of "baseless demonization" when we point out China's exporting defective products to us?

(Waiter!!!Theres a fly in my soup.)

Now they blame "American designers"?

Lead paint in toys made in China is America's fault?

Actually, it can seldom be said to be the country's fault.

In the latest toy recalls, Mattel also shares part of the blame, though, IMO, not the majority of the blame. They should never trust suppliers and need to check to make sure the products were made to specs. Ultimately what Mattel sells to American consumers is mattel's responsibility should anything happen.

It isn't actually difficult for them to analyze each batch produced.

Help me out.

America is guilty of "baseless demonization" when we point out China's exporting defective products to us?

In the latest toy recalls, Mattel also shares part of the blame, though, IMO, not the majority of the blame. They should never trust suppliers and need to check to make sure the products were made to specs. Ultimately what Mattel sells to American consumers is mattel's responsibility should anything happen.

Golly wouldn't a huge company like Mattel have inspectors on the ground at their supplier's factories to check stuff out ahead of it being shipped to the US... :(

Help me out.

Mattel should take the blame. Mattel can blame its suppliers and do whatever to penalize the suppliers if they didn't conform to Mattel's design and specified quality standard. However, Mattel is still responsible to its own customers in US.

Help me out.

Mattel should take the blame. Mattel can blame its suppliers and do whatever to penalize the suppliers if they didn't conform to Mattel's design and specified quality standard. However, Mattel is still responsible to its own customers in US.

I agree.

Mattel is ultimately responsible for it's products. Companies in other countries using sub-standard materials in products shipped for sale in the US is nothing new. Mattel should have been aware that this possibility existed and should have had measures in place to check.

Unless, of course, they didn't really want to know...

I agree with these sentiments. When a company like Mattel orders a product made from a foreign supplier then it is their responsiblity to set the specifications. If they don't specify no lead base paint then they are at fault.

Help me out.

OK,so if Mattel discovers a problem,and they notify the Chinese factory of the problem,won't they be blamed of "complaining" and "pointing the finger" and playing a blame game?

Even if its Mattel's fault,they should not accept any more shipments from the Chinese factory.

Waiter,theres a fly in my soup.

Help me out.

OK,so if Mattel discovers a problem,and they notify the Chinese factory of the problem,won't they be blamed of "complaining" and "pointing the finger" and playing a blame game?

Even if its Mattel's fault,they should not accept any more shipments from the Chinese factory.

Waiter,theres a fly in my soup.

It's a little more complex than that. First of all, Mattel has their own factories in China. However, they subcontract out certain tasks and have written contracts with these suppliers and subcontractors. Mattel's main error is believing that people in China follow the terms of contracts.

Actually, they could easily to a spectrum analysis on each batch and that is now what they will do. Still, the buck stops with Mattel and they're just going to have to take the punch on this one. Hopefully they'll step on Qc and also go after those suppliers and subcontractors who did shoddy work.

I just heard a report on the radio on the way to work that said that Mattel is taking some more responsibility and will hold their Chinese suppliers feet to the fire a little more and will also do more of their own independent testing.

They will also not accept any products containing lead that are meant for children. This brings me to the most surprising thing about the story that I wasn't aware of.

Apparently it is presently NOT illegal to sell toys containing lead in the US,only ones with lead paint. I'm flabbergasted by that. I just assumed that it was illegal period. No wonder so many products have slipped through the cracks. :unsure:

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

I just heard a report on the radio on the way to work that said that Mattel is taking some more responsibility and will hold their Chinese suppliers feet to the fire a little more and will also do more of their own independent testing.

They will also not accept any products containing lead that are meant for children. This brings me to the most surprising thing about the story that I wasn't aware of.

Apparently it is presently NOT illegal to sell toys containing lead in the US,only ones with lead paint. I'm flabbergasted by that. I just assumed that it was illegal period. No wonder so many products have slipped through the cracks. :)

You'd be surprised to know that lead is present as a metalic component in a large number of consumer goods. That in itself is hardly a safety issue. The issue that has mattel and other toy manufacturers in a bind is lead in parts and pieces that may be ingested by children. Things such as paint, small accessories and the likes usually wind up in the mouths of children.

Barbie's entire head, for example, would be difficult to ingest and were it made of lead there would be no issue.

Apparently it is presently NOT illegal to sell toys containing lead in the US,only ones with lead paint. I'm flabbergasted by that. I just assumed that it was illegal period. No wonder so many products have slipped through the cracks. :angry:

You'd be surprised to know that lead is present as a metalic component in a large number of consumer goods. That in itself is hardly a safety issue. The issue that has mattel and other toy manufacturers in a bind is lead in parts and pieces that may be ingested by children. Things such as paint, small accessories and the likes usually wind up in the mouths of children.

Barbie's entire head, for example, would be difficult to ingest and were it made of lead there would be no issue.

I happen to know Barbie's head consists entirely of air. :D

Apparently it is presently NOT illegal to sell toys containing lead in the US,only ones with lead paint. I'm flabbergasted by that. I just assumed that it was illegal period. No wonder so many products have slipped through the cracks. :sosad:

I happen to know Barbie's head consists entirely of air. :P

:P :P

There is a new twist to the story. Chinese officials are now being questioned and have to respond to questions as to why goods for exports, including food items, have to meet a higher standard. Is Chinese life not a life or just as worthy? It is a good start.

Yes, a good start. Product safety should be as stringent on goods for domestic sale as they are for export goods.