US dollars what shape can they be in?

Hi,

I been to Russia,a few times,and they would examine US dollars with magnifine glasses,to find the most smallest flaw on the bill,and then say"no good"...Is China the same way?Do I have to make sure,each dollar bill I bring is in mint condition?

JIM

Don't bring any older "small face" bills and yes ... the better the condition is the more likely it will be accepted.

Beware of counterfeit 100 RMB notes, they are quite common. Also beware of a shop taking your 100 RMB note to the back room (or whatever) and then bringing it back saying that it is counterfeit ... they switched your note for one that is bad.

Don't bring any older "small face" bills and yes ... the better the condition is the more likely it will be accepted.

Beware of counterfeit 100 RMB notes, they are quite common. Also beware of a shop taking your 100 RMB note to the back room (or whatever) and then bringing it back saying that it is counterfeit ... they switched your note for one that is bad.

Are you serious about the counterfeit bills,switching good bills with bad ones? Wow !!!! thanks for the heads up on that one.

in China,they will accept traveler cheques,no problems? exchange them at any bank?

Jim

Some of us have reported mixed results in other threads. I never found anyplace that would accept mine on my first trip. Stuck with cash and my ATM for all subsequent trips.

Are you serious about the counterfeit bills,switching good bills with bad ones? Wow !!!! thanks for the heads up on that one.

Yes, I am serious. As a Laowei you are a prime target for mischief. It is often better to allow your lady to make any purchases without you being present.

Using your ATM card and bring along a small amount of cash seems to be the best way to go.

Most "Bank of China" and "China Construction Bank" ATM will allow you to draw RMB.

In some cities and in some banks, they may reject your US$ notes for anything as slight as a staple hole. I'd bring nice, clean bills. They will check each individual one with a special machine they use. If they haven't that machine or it isn't working that day, they will look at each bill carefully for a few minutes and, yes, sometimes use a magnifying glass.

You can cash traveler's checks in bigger cities at certain branches of Bank of China. Not every branch of Bank of China can do this, so choose the biggest one before you go in and waste 1/2 an hour in line.

Using your credit card can be a good option as long as you understand the fees involved. Sometimes using your card will cost you an extra 7% or more in certain ATMs -- and depending on your bank's fee structure. If you have a Bank of America account, you can use your BoA credit card or ATM card to get cash with no fees at all from most China Construction Bank ATMs since BoA just bought a 19.5% stake in that bank.

Be careful of counterfeits!

Bills have to have a new born on date 2000 and up

No dirty money, no rips, no grease, no writing on the bills, etc.

I always go to my bank a few days before im to leave and tell the

teller in going to China and need 5k in bills. Most time I came back the next day and walk away with new crisp bills.

I always take cash because cash is king in China. And any money left

over I always tell my wife to keep..... except a few a few bills for my pocket money, on my return to the states. I need money to get my Truck out of park and ride

Even with the new bills there will always be a few that they will kick

back, just go to a differnt place/bank or return later to a different Chinese teller or have you better half trade it in for you.

Just be carefull and don't walk down any dark alleys with that type of

cash in your pocket. Do the same as you would do in the states, In the

states you wouldn't be waving that much cash in a 7-11 or you wouldn't be walking down any dark alleys.

Use comment since and you would have any problems

have a safe and a happy trip

Bobby....

Edited by sleepless in Houston&CQ (see edit history)

Thanks for all the info,yeah I will stick with getting big fresh bills at the bank,I am going to Chongqing,And i think travelers cheques,are an "if "and "maybe" situation,as it was in Russia also. But I also have a Bank of America credit card too.

jim

I tried to change a bunch of 20's that were crisp new bills, but that had been folded for a money belt. The bank wouldn't take them. I had to go back home and iron them. After that, they would take them. In that small town, there was not ATM. For me, in the big cities, ATM was the way to go.

On 2 occasions, I got 50 RMB notes that were counterfit. I could not tell the difference, but none of the stores would take them. I ended up spending them at a busy supermarket.

Changing money is never a problem at any of the hotels, if you don't mind the exchange rate they give you.

The other trick for getting good service at hotels in China is to get a hotel club card. I got quite a few membership cards and depends on which hotel I stay in I just pull out their card. They run out to buy cigaretts, let me use the conference room for free, etc on top of the mileage I get. I found the Shangrila chain ( including traders, their less expensive brand) to be fairly good in services. The Holiday Inn Crown Plaza is a fairly good chain as well.