Help! visa pickup problem

Guest connection

Guest connection

Hi,

I am a newbie here, but I would appreciate it if someone could comment on this issue.

I got the visa pick-up letter in May and I asked a friend of mine to pick it up. However since I traveled a lot after I interviewed on Dec 2002 and used up all the remaining pages, I had to obtain a new passport. The lady handing out visa told my friend that I needed to pay the $320 to "start all over" again since I had a new passport.

My questions are:

Is the immigrant visa (non-K) tied to the passport which I used for interview?

Does the start-all-over mean new namecheck : :( and interview?

I have sent the fax to GZ and asked my attorney, the answers are conflicting.

I would appreciate it if some one with similar experience or expertise can comment on this. Thanks!

Best Regards

Guest connection
When I ran out of pages in my US passport I just went to the passport office and they added pages.  Took 48hr I think.  Don't know if that'll have any bearing on your situation.

Thanks for the info.

As Chinese citizen, we are not allowed to have new pages added to the old passport. And since going to virtually any country requires visa, those pages just run out easily. The problem is the new passport has a new number which is different from the old one. Although I presented both, they might still think there should be a "correct" passport number on the immigrant visa packet.

This is something that I had never even thought of. Unfortunately, this sounds like you fell through a crack in the system that rarely occurs and which has probably made you persona non grata to them. I would be very surprised if they would budge an inch on this one. Your only hope would be to get the intervention of someone very high on the food chain.

Most Chinese people travel out of the country very rarely if at all. For that matter most Americans travel out of the country very rarely if at all. Your passport is your only binding identification as far as they are concerned. If the numbers on it changed, you are a new person. When they issued a new passport was it with new numbers or just re-using the original passport number? If they are new numbers, you have a problem. This could be one of the rare cases where a lawyers advice might be of use. (American immigration lawyer, not a local Chinese lawyer) Then again, if the new system has really sped things up, then maybe it is just as well to pay and start over again.

This problem is just absolutely absurd if you ask me. It seems the powers that be are committed to making things as difficult as possible. This problem could be solved so easily if someone would just take the time to be compassionate and reasonable. :(

Guest connection

Thanks Owen, Mick and Myles. Myles is right: the new passport has a new number but with a page says this is a replacement of the previous passport with number XXXX.

I got the "official" email response from GZ saying that I just need to show an explanation letter. I replied and asked him to talk to the lady at the gate for this. I have also faxed a letter to GZ.

I am holding my breath now, and hopefully the good news will come next Monday.

Thank you guys!

Guest connection

Just want to give you an update:

My friend has picked up my visa successfully. However he was inevitably charged 2700 RMB for the "re-issuance".

For those of you who might want to change your passport during white-slip period (how crazy this idea is), be careful. This is the price you need to pay.

Just want to give you an update:

My friend has picked up my visa successfully. However he was inevitably charged 2700 RMB for the "re-issuance".

For those of you who might want to change your passport during white-slip period (how crazy this idea is), be careful. This is the price you need to pay.

Glad your friend was finally able to pick up the visa but I am dumbstruck that they charged an additional 2700 RMB. :lol: