Medical in Guangzhou tomorrow

NYTIMES

It took around 3 hours for my wife and stepdaughter to do the medical thing. I just sat outside and took in the scenery. They went to the First Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College.

She will need the necessary vaccinations for applying for permanent residence. There are 3 shots involved; varicella (chicken pox), tetanus/diptheria, and the MMR. All of these are simple shots and shouldn't be a problem to obtain in China. These are the 3 that the civil surgeon looks for. The TB skin test, another simple test, may be needed also.

Can she get these shots while in GZ?

thank you very much.

I think she can but I think most people wait until they get to the states. People have reported in the past getting the shots done in China. They say it is less expensive. So, it is possible to get the vaccinations done in China but it is just as easy to do it all here in the states because once married, you can have your health insurance pay for it all. Just be sure to have a record on it. In China, they use a yellow record book which will work with any civil surgeon. Either way, it should be easy and straight forward to accomplish.

-good luck

Hello Ben, we had the Medical Exam on Shamian Island, I am not sure of the name of the clinc. They would not let us get the vaccinations until after we got the "PINK" visa. We returned for the vaccinations, and w e also got a certificate of health book, which the Doctor said would be good for our return to get the CR-1. We had to go to a different office of that clinic, much closer to Mr. Yang's and also near the post office where we picked up the visa packet. So hopefully we are good to go.

It took us about 3 hours on Saturday Morning, there were several bus loads of adoptive children and their parents, but it didn't seem to slow them down much. I hope this helps, Mike & Zhen

We got the shots in GZ at the same clinic where she got the physical. We waited until after she got the visa then got the shots. They give you a little yellow book that has all the shots given inside. It satisfied our civil surgeon who signed off on the I-693 supplimental. As Jim said though, call your local county health clinics and see if you can get them free or cheap. Also some county clinics have a designated civil surgeon on staff. I recently learned that there are more civil surgeons than those listed on the USCIS site.

It seems like I read in the FAQs somewhere that you should avoid the MMR if your planning on getting pregnant with 3 months.

Is that true?

I have heard two stories.. one from each [medical] side of the ocean...

I think it's best to consult your personal doctor's opinion...

Good advice, as usual.

It seems like I read in the FAQs somewhere that you should avoid the MMR if your planning on getting pregnant with 3 months.

Is that true?

I have heard two stories.. one from each [medical] side of the ocean...

I think it's best to consult your personal doctor's opinion...

We were warned in Guangzhou. As our luck would have it, Lisa got pregnant 2 months after her MMR shot.

Her pre-natal doctor here in Portland told us, not to worry. It is only speculation that bad things can happen. Nothing is really known for sure so of course physicians will try to err on the side of caution.

Our son was born very healthy and absolutely intelligent enough to drive me crazy. (Wait, my wife reminded me, I was already crazy.)

I still would not press the issue and test the unknown theory unless absolutely necessary. You can always have a child later as a few months shouldn't make too many problems. The MMR shot is required for AOS and can only be waived by a USCIS IO.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Yes Mike that was helpful and my lao po is leaving with daughter tonight by train and i told her to go to First Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College.

Will keep everyone posted as we get closer to interview, I am leaving on August 24th from NY to be with her on interview.

Thanks again,

Ben

Hello Ben, we had the Medical Exam on Shamian Island, I am not sure of the name of the clinc. They would not let us get the vaccinations until after we got the "PINK" visa. We returned for the vaccinations, and w e also got a certificate of health book, which the Doctor said would be good for our return to get the CR-1. We had to go to a different office of that clinic, much closer to Mr. Yang's and also near the post office where we picked up the visa packet. So hopefully we are good to go.

It took us about 3 hours on Saturday Morning, there were several bus loads of adoptive children and their parents, but it didn't seem to slow them down much. I hope this helps, Mike & Zhen

Hello David, just for your info, when we were at the clinic for the medical exam, Yizhen asked the nurse about geting the vaccinations, and was told, "no". We asked again, and we were told, "no"! I was angry, and we asked the doctor and he also said "no!" he said we have to wait until we pass the interview. When we returned for the sealed envelope, we asked a different doctor and he gave us the same answer.

When we passed the interview, we returned and got the vaccinations, the doctor was very nice, and he told us that we could get a special book "Certificate of Health Examination", he said it would be good for our CR-1, and he gave us the yellow "certificate of vaccination book".

We never got a good explanation for the refusal to give us the vaccinations before we got the visa, and other than an extra trip to the clinic, we ended up getting good help for the CR-1. When I asked about the Medical exam and the vaccinations at ACH, I was not given much help! The VO had to go and ask someone else, and when he returned, he said we should just go and get another exam because it probably will be hard to find for the CR-1 interview. With a smile I asked if he or his boss wanted to pay for this extra exam. It probably is not very important, because as far as I can tell we are the only ones returning to China for CR-1 instead of AOS in the states. Mike & Zhen