Interview report

Guest Mike and Lily

Guest Mike and Lily

Well, now that my Lily and I are together, I guess it's time to give my report on our interview. Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to make sure she got here OK before I said anything that could come back to haunt us. Her VO was a black man about 30 years old, and he spoke fluent Putonghua and Cantonese. Lily answered all the questions in English however. There was a younger white man and a middle aged white woman also conducting interviews. The white man gave the quickest and easiest pink slips, and the white woman's interviews were the longest. Here is about how the interview went:

VO: May I see your passport?

SO: Gives him both passports.

VO: Briefly looks at both passsports and asks how many times have we met?

SO: This is his 6th visit

VO: How did you first meet?

SO: On the internet

VO: How long have you known him?

SO: Two years.

VO: May I see pictures?

SO: Gives him 30 pictures spanning a 21 month period.

VO: Examines pictures while SO explains where they were and when they were taken.

SO: I also have e-mails and phone records, would you like to see them?

VO: No. Do you know he is recently divorced?

SO: Yes, would you like to see his divorce papers?

VO: No, Have you met his parents?

SO: No, but I have talked with them on the telephone.

VO: No. Does he have children?

SO: Yes.

VO: How Many?

SO: Answers question.

VO: How old are you?

VO: (Looking surprised) So you were XX years old when you met?

SO: Yes

VO: Let me see his divorce papers.

SO: Gives divorce papers

VO: Examines the divorce papers for about 5 minutes, briefly consulting another official.

VO: How old are his children?

VO: What do they think of your marriage?

VO: How many times have you met (second time asking this)

SO: This is his 6th visit.

VO: May I see his taxes

SO: Gives entire folder with all financial information.

VO: Examines documents carefully for a few minutes

VO: Hands documents back and asks how many children does he have? (again)

SO: Answers question

VO: May I see a copy of his passport (asks for this despite having seen the original)

SO: Gives him a notarized copy of my passport.

VO: Looks it over carefully, hands document back.

VO: Why do you want to go to the USA?

SO: To be with my fiance because I love him.

VO: I am concerned that because of your age difference that you may not have a genuinine relationship with this man.

SO: I have know him for two years and we love each other very much.

VO: I will give you the visa but I am still a little concerned.

SO: Thank you.

I found it very interesting that he asked for the copy of my passport at the end of the interview when he had already looked over the real thing. It kind of confirmed a theory I have. Some on this site believe that they decide who they are going to pass or fail prior to or during the interview. My view isn't quite so jaded. I believe they DO decide who they will scruitinize before and during the interview. If they see something they don't like, they look for I's that aren't dotted and T's that aren't crossed. After all, this is America, they can't discriminate on the basis of age, sex national origin, right? But they will take any factor they decide they don't like and then sruitinize the application for very minor things they could give a blue slip for. In our case he looked for the copy of the passport. If she didn't have it, I bet Lily would still be waiting in GUZ for her overcome appt. right now. The VO already knew we had the rest of our bases covered.

I really believe they they will scruitinize a application they are not happy with for whatever reason by going after specific things like SSN and residence evidence for EX's, lack of a common language between petitioner and beneficiary, presence or absence of statements of relationship between petitioner and beneficiary and petitioner and EX, and even a notarized copy of a passport when they have already seen the original as well as other tickytack paperwork deficiencies.

I hope this helps any of you that are preparing for your interview.

Excellent write up Mike and thanks. Very informative. It will definitely help me. Good luck to you.

I agree. Excellent write-up! It looks like you had it well covered. Good thing you had a copy of your passport, and notarized at that!

I agree with your judgment of them. It is quite reasonable but they do take age and age differences into consideration. There has been reports about that in the past where applicants were denied a visa due to the differences in age.

I'm glad it all worked out for you. Congratulations! :lol:

Guest Mike and Lily

I should also add that your SO showed a lot of poise and confidence in handling an interview like that one without getting rattled.

She really did. I am very proud of her! :)

Well, now that my Lily and I are together, I guess it's time to give my report on our interview. Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to make sure she got here OK before I said anything that could come back to haunt us. Her VO was a black man about 30 years old, and he spoke fluent Putonghua and Cantonese. Lily answered all the questions in English however. There was a younger white man and a middle aged white woman also conducting interviews. The white man gave the quickest and easiest pink slips, and the white woman's interviews were the longest. Here is about how the interview went:

VO: May I see your passport?

SO: Gives him both passports.

VO: Briefly looks at both passsports and asks how many times have we met?

SO: This is his 6th visit

VO: How did you first meet?

SO: On the internet

VO: How long have you known him?

SO: Two years.

VO: May I see pictures?

SO: Gives him 30 pictures spanning a 21 month period.

VO: Examines pictures while SO explains where they were and when they were taken.

SO: I also have e-mails and phone records, would you like to see them?

VO: No. Do you know he is recently divorced?

SO: Yes, would you like to see his divorce papers?

VO: No, Have you met his parents?

SO: No, but I have talked with them on the telephone.

VO: No. Does he have children?

SO: Yes.

VO: How Many?

VO: How old are you?

VO: (Looking surprised) So you were XX years old when you met?

SO: Yes

VO: Let me see his divorce papers.

SO: Gives divorce papers

VO: Examines the divorce papers for about 5 minutes, briefly consulting another official.

VO: How old are his children?

VO: What do they think of your marriage?

VO: How many times have you met (second time asking this)

SO: This is his 6th visit.

VO: May I see his taxes

SO: Gives entire folder with all financial information.

VO: Examines documents carefully for a few minutes

VO: Hands documents back and asks how many children does he have? (again)

SO: Answers question

VO: May I see a copy of his passport (asks for this despite having seen the original)

SO: Gives him a notarized copy of my passport.

VO: Looks it over carefully, hands document back.

VO: Why do you want to go to the USA?

SO: To be with my fiance because I love him.

VO: I am concerned that because of your age difference that you may not have a genuinine relationship with this man.

SO: I have know him for two years and we love each other very much.

VO: I will give you the visa but I am still a little concerned.

SO: Thank you.

I found it very interesting that he asked for the copy of my passport at the end of the interview when he had already looked over the real thing. It kind of confirmed a theory I have. Some on this site believe that they decide who they are going to pass or fail prior to or during the interview. My view isn't quite so jaded. I believe they DO decide who they will scruitinize before and during the interview. If they see something they don't like, they look for I's that aren't dotted and T's that aren't crossed. After all, this is America, they can't discriminate on the basis of age, sex national origin, right? But they will take any factor they decide they don't like and then sruitinize the application for very minor things they could give a blue slip for. In our case he looked for the copy of the passport. If she didn't have it, I bet Lily would still be waiting in GUZ for her overcome appt. right now. The VO already knew we had the rest of our bases covered.

I really believe they they will scruitinize a application they are not happy with for whatever reason by going after specific things like SSN and residence evidence for EX's, lack of a common language between petitioner and beneficiary, presence or absence of statements of relationship between petitioner and beneficiary and petitioner and EX, and even a notarized copy of a passport when they have already seen the original as well as other tickytack paperwork deficiencies.

I hope this helps any of you that are preparing for your interview.

Congrats!! May I ask what is the age difference between you and your fiancee?