I'm Confused

Another dumb question here. :o

I have noticed that a number of folks have applied for AOS, EAD, and AP at the same time. Yet when I read the instructions for EAD and AP, it states that an applicant must have a petition for AOS currently pending. If you applied at the same time, how did you prove that you had a petition for AOS pending? :o

I guess the return receipt from the AOS petition would count, but then, one would have to wait until after receiving the receipt before filing EAD and AP. Maybe I am missing something here. Help! :D

It might be the difference of what each office requires. Or maybe it's like other offices of the same nature and we've been through this before; even though their connected to the same body, the left hand doesn't know what right one is doing. In any event there is not consistancy.

It might be the difference of what each office requires.  Or maybe it's like other offices of the same nature and we've been through this before; even though their connected to the same body, the left hand doesn't know what right one is doing.  In any event there is not consistancy.

Boy oh Boy is this ever the case. Our Social Security Office will not even contemplating issuing a card until BCIS enters the info into the system. That has yet to happen. I totally agree that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The woman(girl) at our SSN office was very confused that my wife was issued a K-1 visa. I almost showed her the memo about K-1's being authorized to receive a SSN. After the argument she then she mentioned that she believed that yes a SSN could be issued but, it would specify an EAD is needed and also the BCIS would have to submit for a security check. BINGO, her light come on.

I know I'm being sarcastic and I apologize for that but, I too have been through the ringer (waiting) of the K-1 visa process and I find that the scruitiny of my wife and me is not over. I think, these people believe absolutely nothing they are told by by you or me.

We just did all the forms last week and the ssn on the same day. Instead of sending the paperwork in, we lined up at the local INS office with all the forms ready for about three hours. Got the work permit on the same day, green card interview will be several months away. SSN will be mailed to my wife in 4-6 weeks because she just changed her last name and Social Security worker couldn't pull up her new name from the INS office yet.

I used to work at the university and helped foreign students with their SSN. Back then (4 years ago) they just needed their passport and I-94.

Hey all,

Nancy applied for her SSN, and got a card in 2 weeks. We haven't even sent her AOS application in yet, as we are waiting for an official marriage certificate from Vegas.

On her SS card, it says "valid for work only with INS authorization." So I assume that means she can't work until she gets her EAD. However, on the EM-00154 memo it says:

"A nonimmigrant alien in K-1 alien status is authorized to work based on that status..."

"When an alien K-1 status applies for an original or replacement SSN card, accept as proof of employment authorization either an unexpired: I-94 showing the alien is admitted as a K-1 for a 90-day period; or..."

Anyway, what this seems to say is that she should be able to get a work-authorized SSN right away. Has any one had any luck in getting the SSA office to issue a work-authorized SSN without EAD?

Thanks.

-Emery

I haven't been able to get them to issue a SSN of any kind! They refuse to do anything until BCIS enters Li's name into the system and, although she has been here 10 weeks now, that has yet to happen. :angry: :angry: ;)