Failed Driving Test

Lily passed the written part of the TN driver's license test a couple of weeks ago and received her learner's permit. I scheduled the driving portion for yesterday. We arrived on time and filled out the paperwork with the female examiner. I noticed her East TN accent was very heavy and Lily was having trouble understanding her. Hell, I was born here, and I was having trouble understanding her.

Lily reads and writes english very good, and can understand most people's spoken english with no problem.

The examiner took Lily to the car and said, "go o'var an git in". Lily said very pleasantly, "sorry I donot understand". I started to interpret for Lily, but the examiner told me to stay 20 ft. away. The examiner barked another instruction which I couldn't make out at that distance, and again Lily didn't understand. At this point, the examiner turned to me, waved her hands like an umpire calling someone "safe", and said, "No communication, No Test. She'll keel both of us'ns. Yuns needs to larn hern batter anglish" (I'm not exaggerating).

I started to lose it and you can guess what I wanted to say to her, but I maintained.

Hell, we got thru the GUZ ordeal with no problem, so I know we can deal with this.

I'm glad I didn't lose it because the examiner apparently had discretionary authority to not mark this down as a "failed" test. She said we would be able to to reschedule and retake the test anytime, but we should "larn hern batter anglish" for the next time.

We left with Lily in tears. Took me the rest of the day to make her feel better and realize it wasn't her fault.

We'll reschedule at a different examing station in a couple of weeks.

:huh: Hank

similar thing happened to my wife here in Florida. My wife and the examineress walked outside, had some mis-communication to start with, got in the car, drove around one row of cars in the parking lot and returned- 'failed.' We went to a different office the next day. She passed without trouble and everybody had smiles.

There just ain't no pleasing some people.

Hank, you probably already thought of this, but ... I would be very upfront when next you two go for the road test. When you sign in mount your very best smiles and tell them that Lily is new to TN and has trouble understanding "our" accent; request that they steer her toward someone who doesn't have much of an accent ... could work ...

Lily passed the written part of the TN driver's license test a couple of weeks ago and received her learner's permit. I scheduled the driving portion for yesterday. We arrived on time and filled out the paperwork with the female examiner. I noticed her East TN accent was very heavy and Lily was having trouble understanding her. Hell, I was born here, and I was having trouble understanding her.

Lily reads and writes english very good, and can understand most people's spoken english with no problem.

The examiner took Lily to the car and said, "go o'var an git in". Lily said very pleasantly, "sorry I donot understand". I started to interpret for Lily, but the examiner told me to stay 20 ft. away. The examiner barked another instruction which I couldn't make out at that distance, and again Lily didn't understand. At this point, the examiner turned to me, waved her hands like an umpire calling someone "safe", and said, "No communication, No Test. She'll keel both of us'ns. Yuns needs to larn hern batter anglish" (I'm not exaggerating).

I started to lose it and you can guess what I wanted to say to her, but I maintained.

Hell, we got thru the GUZ ordeal with no problem, so I know we can deal with this.

I'm glad I didn't lose it because the examiner apparently had discretionary authority to not mark this down as a "failed" test. She said we would be able to to reschedule and retake the test anytime, but we should "larn hern batter anglish" for the next time.

We left with Lily in tears. Took me the rest of the day to make her feel better and realize it wasn't her fault.

:headbang: Hank

In the commonwealth of Virginia, a person has 3 chances to pass. If they fail on the third try, they will have to wait 90 days before taking the test again. My wife passed on the third try.

The first two trys are a story to their own!... :lol:

Lao po passed her written and driving test on the same day (Yes, she drove in China too).

The behavior of the Examiner may have actually have been a violation of you state or even Federal law by excluding her due to language difficulties (mostly on the Examiner's part it per your story). Especially when all that was needed was a little patience on her part.

Lao po passed her written and driving test on the same day (Yes, she drove in China too).

The behavior of the Examiner may have actually have been a violation of you state or even Federal law by excluding her due to language difficulties (mostly on the Examiner's part it per your story). Especially when all that was needed was a little patience on her part.

Especially considering that they have to be able to deal with deaf people. Most of the driving testers are adequately fluent in 'pointing' to be able to get through a driving test with anyone.

:headbang: Hank

Shoot 'far, Hank, ya'll fergot tuh brang the jug, you'ns oughtta done knowed it's better 'n' if'n' ya'll gitten the 'zammner likkerrd up fust.......

Jest put the 'shine in wunn them newfangeld water jugs everbudys suckin' on these days...."here, Ma'mm....wudja hole my watter?" Oughtta work....

Steve

This behavior has been a common experience for me , most of the time I just let it ride and go on with life , This week I had a county employee run me through the wringer on a new motorcycle title ,and claimed we were lying in a pointed reference to my wife being from over there-I never fiqured out what we were lying about , but went to the head of the tag agency and filed a written complaint

I Solved the problem to-

I hit them where it hurt , They lost the license fee and sales tax to Georgia and since I am buying another new car they lost the sales tax fee and licensing fee on that one too.

Since Lisa is a legal resident of Georgia and I am a Legal resident of Florida .I can do that :headbang:

The county lost about $2800 in fees since I did not get an apology .

I told the Tax collector that his employee does represent him and maybe it would be nice if they started leaving a comment box so that the citizens could comment on the lousy service and outrageous attitude of his clerks .

Hank, you probably already thought of this, but ... I would be very upfront when next you two go for the road test. When you sign in mount your very best smiles and tell them that Lily is new to TN and has trouble understanding "our" accent; request that they steer her toward someone who doesn't have much of an accent ... could work ...

You're right Jim, and I did try this approach to a certain extent when we were doing the pre-test paperwork, telling the examiner I must speak clearly and without contractions when communicating with Lily. She ignored me! I think my biggest mistake was scheduling the test at 4:30 pm. I believe it was the last appointment of the day and the examiner just wanted out of there so she used the communication issue to knock off a little early.

Especially considering that they have to be able to deal with deaf people. Most of the driving testers are adequately fluent in 'pointing' to be able to get through a driving test with anyone.

That's what I thought too, Randy. I know several deaf people with Licenses.

Yes, Lily had driven in china. Had a chinese License.

Shoot 'far, Hank, ya'll fergot tuh brang the jug, you'ns oughtta done knowed it's better 'n' if'n' ya'll gitten the 'zammner likkerrd up fust.......

Jest put the 'shine in wunn them newfangeld water jugs everbudys suckin' on these days...."here, Ma'mm....wudja hole my watter?" Oughtta work....

Steve

:cocktail: ;) :) It Ourtta, Steve. A good drank uv splo might'a hepped.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I thought too, Randy. I know several deaf people with Licenses.

Hi Hank. That's reprehensible what happened.

I'm not making light of your wife' situation and this is not a joke so please take this suggestion/idea seriously. Can you just tell your next examiner that your wife is deaf? Then the examiner should just point as Randy indicated. Deaf people are legally able to drive, so it shouldn't matter at all--legally--if your wife understands the examiner in English or not. So long as your wife can read and understand English signs and instructions, her ability to comprehend oral English should be irrelevant, as in the case of deaf people.

What am I missing here? :beer:

This is pure speculation on my part but wouldn't they just want a translator that knows sign language? I found this link that says they allow interpreters for deaf people in NJ

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/Dr...l/Chapter_2.pdf

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)