The good part about living in China

If you spend lots of time in these foreign countries you can rapidly grow old.The years fly by quickly.

:blink: IMHO it would simply not be possible to be more wrong than this statement... :o Stay in the US and partake of the magic elixir that keep everyone from ageing... :ph34r:

I have never lived in China but we plan to spend most of our time there when I retire in 6 years. Last year we bought 2 apartments in Hainan and Yunnan for winter and summer homes there. We intentionally bought in small cities where the life-style is definitely slower, more relaxed, and cheaper than the big cities. I find China to be much more slower paced than the US. Job stress in the US is a given... :angry: road rage, a declining standard of living and a political system that is widely accepted to be broken... :( and life here seems less and less appealing. Being able to live at a much higher standard of living in a more relaxed manner with great, fresh food available in their respective seasons... :D and fine weather to boot...book our tickets please... :huh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being able to live at a much higher standard of living in a more relaxed manner with great, fresh food available in their respective seasons... :D and fine weather to boot...book our tickets please... :huh:

Wow, sounds like Texas!

As aye,

Jim

PS. Send me your credit card number, I'll book your ticket, now! :angry: "Hey...stop shoving and pushing you guys, :o I asked first for the credit card number... :( you guys can carry his luggage or chip in for his cab fare to the airport! :blink: Hey...geez...no shoving...damn you guys..." :ph34r:

Edited by SinoTexas (see edit history)

Being able to live at a much higher standard of living in a more relaxed manner with great, fresh food available in their respective seasons... :cheering: and fine weather to boot...book our tickets please... :huh:

Wow, sounds like Texas!

As aye,

Jim

PS. Send me your credit card number, I'll book your ticket, now! :angry: "Hey...stop shoving and pushing you guys, :o I asked first for the credit card number... :cheering: you guys can carry his luggage or chip in for his cab fare to the airport! :blink: Hey...geez...no shoving...damn you guys..." :ph34r:

Texas??? You mean the state where it rains all the time and is hotter than hell in the summer and then colder than a witches tit in winter??? That Texas???

And don't forget I can still post from China dudes...You WON"T be getting rid of me that easily... :( :D :cheering:

I will not bring an American man to live in China permanently though I can handle his visa very easily and I feel comfortable staying in Guangzhou.

1. Whenever a man of a different color, race is walking down the street, hookers always run after him. You'd be very busy to spend the rest of your life driving away hookers from him.

2. Men are men. The temptation is too much in China. I've seen two gals at CFL, the marriage ended in disaster after the wife brought the husband to China.

3. If you are not as pretty as Miss Hong Kong or Miss Asia, it's a bad idea to date any foreigner (poor or rich) in China. You will always see young pretty women who try to approach your man.

Gals, don't waste your time or life.

OUCH!!!

Hi Eunice,

I've been to Guangzhou four times and stayed for over a week each visit, and I have never seen any hookers, although I'm blinded by fidelity to my Lovely Wife. Is it really that bad? Am I really that bad?? I'd ask where all this is happening, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea! :boxer:

I would LOVE to live in China and we actually plan to split our time evenly between Nanning and wherever we settle after I sell my house in Northern California. What do I like about it?

1. My wife.

2. My wife's family.

3. My wife's friends.

4. The people.

5. The places.

6. The feeling of adventure I get from doing the simplist things

7. The excitement of learning about a new culture.

8. The relaxation I get from being somewhere other than the U.S. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the U.S. I was born here and I will die here, but the different "skill set" required by living in China is refreshing. I am usually happy to get home to the States, but I never get tired of China and I doubt I ever will. On the contrary, part of me feels so much like I've gone "home" when the plane touches down in Hong Kong. I always feel like kissing the ground. It's a feeling like I've never had anywhere before.

9. The food. I've been there often enough now to have some real favorites and I look forward to eating dishes I just can't get here every time I go back.

10. The pace of living.

11. The smells.

12. Walking most everywhere I go and actually being able to get somewhere that way.

13. Being able to afford a cab wherever I go and enjoying the ride.

14. Traveling by train.

15. The feeling of a vibrant, new world. I'm a firm believer in China's future. If only I had been younger when I started going to China, I just KNOW I would be a millionaire before I die.

16. The innocence of the culture. No matter HOW hard all the girls try, they just CAN'T be as slutty as Madonna or Britney. There is an innocence to China that is very refreshing to this jaded American. I LOVE seeing two teenage girls walking down the street, hand in hand. It is utterly charming to see this and I wish it were that way here in the States.

17. The traffic. I will never stop being fascinated by the way all those vehicles can careen around like random atoms without any resultant catastrophic accidents.

Suffice it to say, if I were to believe in re-incarnation, I would be believe that I was Chinese in my last life. I feel a kinship with the place that I can't explain to any of my Stateside friends. Their loss; I think they just need to go there themselves and experience it.

Best Regards

As long as I have been a member of CFL, I have heard stories about those who have lived in China, are now living in China, and those who think they would like to live in China. I have heard the many down sides to living in China. I would like for the people that live or have lived in China to share the good side(s) of living in China.

Things are cheap in China Chilton, but it means cheap in both sense of the word. You're paying less money but you're getting cheap quality as well. Goods exported abroad get a lot more inspection than goods sold domestically inside China. To live in China, you get both ends of extremes. One is really, really cheap. The other end is really, really expensive. For an expat to live in China, wanting to eat and indulge in the same western amenities he's used to in the US, it's EXTREMELY expensive to live in China--much more so than the comparable living standard in the US. But if you want to live like a local Chinese person, you can live extremely cheap in China. But it also means you won't be making much money either in China.

I will not bring an American man to live in China permanently though I can handle his visa very easily and I feel comfortable staying in Guangzhou.

1. Whenever a man of a different color, race is walking down the street, hookers always run after him. You'd be very busy to spend the rest of your life driving away hookers from him.

2. Men are men. The temptation is too much in China. I've seen two gals at CFL, the marriage ended in disaster after the wife brought the husband to China.

3. If you are not as pretty as Miss Hong Kong or Miss Asia, it's a bad idea to date any foreigner (poor or rich) in China. You will always see young pretty women who try to approach your man.

OUCH!!!

Hi Eunice,

I've been to Guangzhou four times and stayed for over a week each visit, and I have never seen any hookers, although I'm blinded by fidelity to my Lovely Wife. Is it really that bad? Am I really that bad?? I'd ask where all this is happening, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea! ;)

I would LOVE to live in China and we actually plan to split our time evenly between Nanning and wherever we settle after I sell my house in Northern California. What do I like about it?

1. My wife.

2. My wife's family.

3. My wife's friends.

4. The people.

5. The places.

8. The relaxation I get from being somewhere other than the U.S. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the U.S. I was born here and I will die here, but the different "skill set" required by living in China is refreshing. I am usually happy to get home to the States, but I never get tired of China and I doubt I ever will. On the contrary, part of me feels so much like I've gone "home" when the plane touches down in Hong Kong. I always feel like kissing the ground. It's a feeling like I've never had anywhere before.

9. The food. I've been there often enough now to have some real favorites and I look forward to eating dishes I just can't get here every time I go back.

10. The pace of living.

11. The smells.

12. Walking most everywhere I go and actually being able to get somewhere that way.

14. Traveling by train.

15. The feeling of a vibrant, new world. I'm a firm believer in China's future. If only I had been younger when I started going to China, I just KNOW I would be a millionaire before I die.

16. The innocence of the culture. No matter HOW hard all the girls try, they just CAN'T be as slutty as Madonna or Britney. There is an innocence to China that is very refreshing to this jaded American. I LOVE seeing two teenage girls walking down the street, hand in hand. It is utterly charming to see this and I wish it were that way here in the States.

17. The traffic. I will never stop being fascinated by the way all those vehicles can careen around like random atoms without any resultant catastrophic accidents.

Suffice it to say, if I were to believe in re-incarnation, I would be believe that I was Chinese in my last life. I feel a kinship with the place that I can't explain to any of my Stateside friends. Their loss; I think they just need to go there themselves and experience it.

Best Regards

Excellent post Mike...I think the bottom line for many of your thoughts is that being in China makes us feel more ALIVE, more aware of everything going on around us... :D a very delicious feeling... :D

It looks like we might move to Hong Kong this winter, so maybe we can be both (rich and happy, or broke and bored)....

my understanding Hong Kong was very expensive to live in or even near

Ha! Yeah, but when the company is paying, I don't mind....

Yeah, as an earlier poster said, living in China takes a different skillset, but it seems more interesting. Even the little daily activites seem interesting.

As was said, things are cheap, but they are also cheap quality. That is annoying... I'm not talking walmart quality, I'm talking dollar store quality, or worse... But you learn to live with it after a while.

By biggest problem was that I was so poor while I was living there. In a good month, I made $500. Mcdonalds was an expensive treat.

Chilton,

Are you thinking of moving here my friend?

Steve

Hey Steve, I am keeping all options open. We are looking for a house in China now to use either for retirement or when she gets tired of living in the USA :D And of course if we get another white slip then the move will be done rather quickly :D

As long as I have been a member of CFL, I have heard stories about those who have lived in China, are now living in China, and those who think they would like to live in China. I have heard the many down sides to living in China. I would like for the people that live or have lived in China to share the good side(s) of living in China.

Things are cheap in China Chilton, but it means cheap in both sense of the word. You're paying less money but you're getting cheap quality as well. Goods exported abroad get a lot more inspection than goods sold domestically inside China. To live in China, you get both ends of extremes. One is really, really cheap. The other end is really, really expensive. For an expat to live in China, wanting to eat and indulge in the same western amenities he's used to in the US, it's EXTREMELY expensive to live in China--much more so than the comparable living standard in the US. But if you want to live like a local Chinese person, you can live extremely cheap in China. But it also means you won't be making much money either in China.

Yes I have been there enough to know how cheap (in both senses of the word) things are there. I would never want any western amenities. Clothes are cheap, vegetables rice and noodles are cheap and housing is cheap. I will be well covered and well fed. This is all I rreally want. I am easy to please :D

Yes I have been there enough to know how cheap (in both senses of the word) things are there. I would never want any western amenities. Clothes are cheap, vegetables rice and noodles are cheap and housing is cheap. I will be well covered and well fed. This is all I rreally want. I am easy to please ;)

I would say that's the attitude you have to have to live in China successfully and happily. If you will be miserable without expensive Western amenities then stay home. But if you can be satisfied with a simple dinner of live lobster, crab, abalone and shrimp... :D then you'll be just fine... :D

OUCH!!!

Hi Eunice,

I've been to Guangzhou four times and stayed for over a week each visit, and I have never seen any hookers, although I'm blinded by fidelity to my Lovely Wife. Is it really that bad? Am I really that bad?? I'd ask where all this is happening, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea! ;)

1. My wife.

2. My wife's family.

3. My wife's friends.

4. The people.

5. The places.

10. The pace of living.

11. The smells.

14. Traveling by train.

Best Regards

Excellent post Mike...I think the bottom line for many of your thoughts is that being in China makes us feel more ALIVE, more aware of everything going on around us... :D a very delicious feeling... :happydance:

Yes Mike, very excellent post ;) Great follow up Roggie ;)

But if you can be satisfied with a simple dinner of live lobster, crab, abalone and shrimp... :happydance: then you'll be just fine... ;)

Bon appetite Roger USA Today It's the export stuff that is being scruntanized a little more. As for the domestic stuff...

As aye,

Jim

There will always be those who truly believe that if they "live" on organic mung bean sprouts and distilled water they will live forever... :D

My motto is Jim..."Don't worry, be happy." ;)

OUCH!!!

Hi Eunice,

Hey, Mike. We can choose any star hotel, you walk slowly out of the lobby, your wife and I just watch at a distance of 20 meters away, I'm sure there'll be two hookers approaching you. Or you go to a cafe shop or a bar, your wife and I just stay at distance of 20 meters. Let's see what happens. We bet for $100.

Charles, your wife will come to Guangzhou for visa interview. If you accompany your wife in Guangzhou, we can try the way I mentioned above, but I think your wife will hate the bad idea :happydance: :D

Conditions: If you are white, black or yellow, hookers will approach you. If you look like King Kong or ET, hookers may hesitate.

Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)

THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE GOOD PART TO ME, TELL ME MORE :happydance:

In 2004, my neighbor is a foreigner. He got his computer and wallet, passport stolen at his home at night when he was sleeping. His door, lock were not broken. The police believe it's some hooker he brought has made a copy of his key.

I used to be an interpreter for some technical guys (married men) travelling around China. Hookers called their room number in the hotel. I told them:"I don't care you fuck around. If you get caught by the police, you will be in BIG trouble." One guy was very experienced:"Just give the police some money. Ni Xin Ku Le. You go, you go!"