Bringing wife's son

Mike,

We did the same thing with Xiao's son. File the I-130 and get your other docs in order. Be sure to take proof of your and Lisa's relationship to the interview. We didn't and had to get a return date for the overcome. Also be careful. They made Xiao submit to a DNA test. That prolonged the second trip by about 2 weeks.

Mike and Xiao

My Fiancee's daughter is 19 and she has two more years of college left. My future wife would like to see her daughter live here in the USA after she graduates from college in China. It still up in the air on this as her daughter really does not know what will be in store for her two years from now. She does have a really good relationship with her Mother and Father. Since my Fiancee daughter is 19 and we will not be married until sometime next year what are some of the steps we can take in finding out more information on this subject.

My Fiancee's daughter is 19 and she has two more years of college left. My future wife would like to see her daughter live here in the USA after she graduates from college in China. It still up in the air on this as her daughter really does not know what will be in store for her two years from now. She does have a really good relationship with her Mother and Father. Since my Fiancee daughter is 19 and we will not be married until sometime next year what are some of the steps we can take in finding out more information on this subject.

After she gets her green card, your wife would file an I-130 for a visa for her daughter. The wait for an over-21 child is currently around 10 years, but would be shortened to around 5 years if your wife subsequently became a US citizen. See visa bulletin.

If the I-130 can be filed before she becomes 21, the wait is much shorter - closer to 1 year.

So get your wife here, get her green card, and file the I-130 for her daughter as soon as you can. If the green card doesn't come before the daughter's 21st birthday, you are stuck with the 5 to 10 year wait.

As an American citizen, you could get your step-child here sooner, but only if they are under 18 when you get married.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The fastest method for her daughter to be able to come to the US is for her to get a K-2 visa and come to the US with mom, this may affect her college plans.

Once they get here file for AOS which will include filing for AP at that time, she could then return to China for study. You will need to be able to get her back for the AOS interview when that occurs.

As mentioned the other option is for your wife to file for her and become a USC as soon as possible, which will give the petition a higher priority.

I talked with my Fiancee about these options and her daughter wishes to finish her schooling in China. Her Daughter does not really know if she wants to immigrate here to the USA. Her Daughter turns 20 this month and this is going to leave a very short window of opportunity for us if she wants to come to the USA. Plus I beleieve her Father has a lot of say in what happens with her. I wish we had more time to consider this but time is evaporating.

All I can add here is my own info.

I filed the I-130 for my stepson on 04/09/07 and received aceptance notification in May. This week I received notification that it has been approved and forwarded to the NVC. The approval letter states that the next we hear will be notification from Guangzhou to my stepson to tell him when is his interview date. I hope that it is not necessarry for his mother to be there for that interview since it took so long for her to get back home. We aren't ready for her to make a return trip just yet. Then again, he is 20 now so he ought to be able to handle it alone.

All I can add here is my own info.

I filed the I-130 for my stepson on 04/09/07 and received aceptance notification in May. This week I received notification that it has been approved and forwarded to the NVC. The approval letter states that the next we hear will be notification from Guangzhou to my stepson to tell him when is his interview date. I hope that it is not necessarry for his mother to be there for that interview since it took so long for her to get back home. We aren't ready for her to make a return trip just yet. Then again, he is 20 now so he ought to be able to handle it alone.

For PhoenixRising, the I-130 can only be filed by the mother after she gets her green card, since the daughter will be over 18 when they get married. By the time the mother gets her green card, the daughter will be over 21, putting her into a 10 year wait category.

A warning for you guys - when we were there for Jiaying's son's interview, another kid was given a blue slip because his parents weren't there. Hopefully, this won't happen for you.

after I had a certified/translated document from her father stating that he would let her come to America. She was 15 when I filed and is now 16.

A question.

I filed I-130 for my wife and our step daughter.

The divorce decree gives my wife sole custody of our step daughter.

Will I still need this letter from my wifes ex to get the visa for our step daughter?

If I need this, is there an example form I should try to get from him.

The step child relationship is proven by your marriage certificate and the child's birth certificate. This proves the child is the natural child of your wife and your marriage occurred before the child was 18.

It did not ask for his birth certificate on the I-130 only our marriage license. So I assume they don't need this until interview. Yes, it will be available at interview, but to beat the price increase I sent off the I-130 today. Now we just sit and wait.

Anyone have any idea on additional fees we will have?

I know they are going up the end of this month.