New Visa Application Rules

I used a service I came across on the web and had my visa 5 days later. It was about $200 USD for a multiple entry. By far a very easy way for me to get my visa. Would've cost more flying out to get it. I used their express service and express service at the consulate. I think you can get the visa a bit cheaper if it's not express and single entry.

-Tim

http://www.instantpassport.com/

This is the link I use. I have used them 3 times already and have been very pleased with their service.

BTM,

I just my new Chinese Visa from Ca. I called the Chinese Consulate in L.A. and asked for names and phone numbers of people they could recomend. I contacted one of them and got my Visa in about 10 days. The person I went thru only charged me $ 20. over the Visa price and I think he was part of the Consulate. Not sure, but it was fast and not questions and the check was made out to the Chinese General, so he had to get his cut from the consulate.

Guest R2D2
BTM,

I just my new Chinese Visa from Ca. I called the Chinese Consulate in L.A. and asked for names and phone numbers of people they could recomend. I contacted one of them and got my Visa in about 10 days. The person I went thru only charged me $ 20. over the Visa price and I think he was part of the Consulate. Not sure, but it was fast and not questions and the check was made out to the Chinese General, so he had to get his cut from the consulate.

Good thinking Wolf! :angel:

TimD -

The basic changes are...

1) The price went up a bit.

2) You can no longer apply for a visa through the mail. You have to appear IN PERSON (or via a friend or trusted person) at the consulate that serves your geographic area.

I've decided to go back to China in June, SARS and humidity be damned! This separation is driving both of us a little nutty.

BTW, I'm one of the "fortunate" ones to have Lincoln, NE, as my BCIS service center. I can't believe how long it takes for them to do an initial approval for an I-129F application (hope it's approval!). And in the mean time, there's no apparent way to get ANY information on the application's progress. My tax dollars hard at work, as usual.

Bill

My abbreviated (and complete) timeline so far...

Initial application received: 1/17/03

Waiting for reply: 2/17/03

Waiting for reply (grrr): 3/17/03

Still waiting for some kind of word: 4/17/03

STILL waiting for a sign of life from Nebraska: 5/17/03

Hoping our application wasn't lost: Today

Seriously considering Chinese citizenship: Tomorrow

When in June are you leaving? I leave June 20th and am planning on living there for a year or two with my wife while the visa process drags out. The company I am working for now just filed chapt 11 so I figure nows a good time to go out there and work.

I'm flying from LAX to Shanghai, to avoid Beijing, and then we'll have a driver take us to Nanjing, which I believe is about 4 hours. Door to door it will take me about 28 hours to get back home with my wife.

-Tim