NUWORLD, let me put this as bluntly as possible.

The police department is a service.

I provide a service. When my customers start bitching about that service, I guess I could tell them and myself that they are wrong. They're crazy. They're ungrateful.

Would that be wise?

If I started to hear these things from more and more of my customers, should I yell louder and louder wihle sticking my fingers in my ears, "NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! I can't hear you!"

Well that would keep me from hearing what they say. That's for sure. Maybe I could tell them they have no clue what I do and other exporters on other continents are even worse, so shut up, you big poopy head!!!!!

Or, on the other hand, I could stop, listen, ask questions, examine why and how my relationship with them used to be so much better and ask myself "Am I part of the problem?"

Do what you want.

I'm not a criminal. I drive a bike so small and geared so low that I can barely get out of the way of traffic. It doesn't even do 80 mph. My car can't speed if it wanted too. It has a 75mph governor installed by me to keep the employees from running the thing to death.

I get occassional tickets like everyone else.

And I think the police are not serving the community or themselves as well as they could.

If I had to wear body armor in my job, and I didn't want to quit, you'd be damn sure *I* would be reexamining the way I do business.

Jim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police in China are perhaps 1000% better than police in the United States. They are polite, they are helpful, they don't sweat the little stuff. They've never heard of John Wayne, have no complex's. Don't fear their own citizen's. They don't need 3 cars to make a traffic stop. They aren't armed to the teeth and scared so s**tless of the public that they feel the need to use them.

Most importantly, Chinese cops are on the street where they might actually be helpful. They don't see themselves as secondary collectors of taxes that politician's don't have the guts to collect. Whereas American police either can't be found or 90% of them are in speed traps desperately trying to collect traffic fines to supplement taxes.

I have never felt a twinge of dread with Chinese police, even when they have occassionally waived me over on my scooter to point out some inadvertant infraction. They've never tried to ticket me either.

On the other hand, the Police in San Diego and most of Southern CA are feared by the citizens and shoot people at an alarming rate I never saw even in the violence of the projects in Chicago.

American police need to get over themselves. And if they feel they have to wear body armor 24/7, maybe they ought to look at themselves as the cause.

I don't know Where YOU live in China but everywhere I have been in China the Police are on Street corners armed with automatic weapons and then there are also military personnel with rifles .

I worked for 6 months in San Diego and Southern California on the Newcastle virus program .

We used about 2,000 locals on the program , I never ever heard about the GREAT FEAR OF THE POLICE

But then I am Not an Expert in all things

You would have to tell me where your everywhere is. I've never seen any such thing. But I rarely travel farther north than Shanghai nor further west than Shenzen. I'm all over the place everywhere in between. I've never seen police with automatic weapons aside form the bank armored car pickups. And those are usually armed with shotguns.

And when did being critical of the mandate of police turn to meaning that I feared them? Not many people fear the police. But I can understand why some do that don't deserve too.

I don't fear the police. I don't dislike police personnel as people. I'm a conservative and a former Marine. I have the same personality that many cops do.

I am critical of it for having a public face that is driven by state and local political leadership to be a revenue source.

I haven't even started in on what I consider to be the real creeping problem with police work.

Cities.

America's population is becoming increasingly urban.

A significant population of urban centers is poorer and additionally minorities. Most prisoners in our prisons are minorities. There is some statistic I saw someplace that said that by the age of 30 that 80% of male blacks would have been arrested at least once. A significant percentage had been incarcerated.

Did they deserve it? Probably. Were there other methods to deal with the problem? Maybe. Were the laws too stringent? I can't say. I'm not in favor of drug use, even at a recreational level. But most of these arrests are either for drug use directly or for the crimes committed to support drug use. Should we be locking up such a significant number of our citizens for drug use? Does this make the public love police?

It is a fact that something over 90% of all urban residents have a relative or acquaintance that has been arrested. 65% know someone or who have a relative that has been imprisoned.

More than half of those think those people were treated unfairly or even arrested for racial motivations.

I have no idea if they are right or wrong. And frankly, it really doesn't matter. Perception equals reality. This is as true a statement of social thinking as has been made by anyone. Perception equals reality.

I only think we have too much traffic enforcement. More than half of the residents of urban America thinks the justice system is unfair and targets them because of their race.

Its normal for the poor to hate and fear their government. In America that didn't used to be the case. But at least you can explain it as a world-wide norm.

I neither hate nor fear it. I ignore it as much as possible.

But, you now have the new paradigm of the poor in America distrusting the police. Plus you are seeing more and more people like me that resent the use of police as armed tax agents.

If you don't feel that way, that's cool with me.

But, let's just clear up the fear thing right now. I don't fear the police. I don't hate the police. I am UNSATISFIED with the police.

Jim

Edited by JimandSarha (see edit history)

PS: Continuing to point out other countries problems with their police is an interesting diversionary tactic. But not effective. When you have no retort on the issue being debated, misdirection is the general direction taken and points to a weakness of any real argument.

The simple argument noone wants to actually debate is:

Could we have more actual crime reduction if we used the police force for something other than the dominant use, traffic enforcement.

No one has even attempted (wisely) to claim this isn't true.

No one has even attempted effectively to mount an argument that the police are not doing revenue enhancement.

If someone is driving +20 in traffic, weaving in and out, driving under the influence, great, pull them over.

But looking for people doing 4 over and for touching a white line without actually causing an issue is pushing it in my book. We are over enforced for no other reason than collecting revenue. If this wasn't the case, then police cars in America would do what they do in much of the rest of the world. Drive around with the light bar going. Let people know they should behave. No, what we have are stealth techniques. Hiding on the side of the road. Driving in blind spots. Using unmarked squad cars. Using cars not generally associated with police work like Camaros and Mustangs.

Why?

They don't want you to NOT do the violation. They want to stealthily CATCH you doing the violation.

And when it works? When there is a decrease in traffic violations?? They panic and raise the fines to make up for the decrease in revenue.

Just like gas taxes. The liberal governement will TELL you they want to raise gasoline taxes to lower fuel consumption. For the good of the country don't you know...

But, when gas prices go up from market forces and we stop driving as much or switch to more efficient cars, and therefore the tax income is lowered, they fricking panic and start in on plans to tax us on miles driven instead on consumption.

I sold my BMW M3 and bought a Prius. I reacted to the fuel prices using market forces. Now California has to figure out how to make up for me dropping from about 8 gallons a day to 1 gallon a day when I'm in the country driving.

If we all did this, you'd see the true colors of government come out. "It" (policy, police motives, all of it) is all about the money.

There was even a article in the LA Times a couple of years ago about what they do with people that they arrest. See Paris Hilton for a resource. When they take someone into custody, they will take them to a local police station for processing. The cash register rings once for the police. Then they will move you to an interim incarceration facility like South Central and leave you there overnight. The cash register rings again. The next day they move you to Twin Towers for processing and medical evaluation. The cash register rings again.

During these three transactions you are moved often enough that it is difficult to imposssible for you to make bail. The will even take your possesions and seal them. So even if you were arrested with enough oney to bond yourself out, you can't.

After they get done billing they state as much as they can get before spending THEIR money on you, then the County of Los Angeles will get around to seeing if you can get bailed out.

It's a racket. It drives up your taxes. It keeps people locked up for 3 days or more when they could have been out in 30 minutes with standardized bonding (it is standardized) and access to a cash machine. But that doesn't further the revenue goals of the county. They need to move you around a lot and let doctors look at you and all that stuff. Not because you need it, they make money on it.

I could go on and on with this stuff. My family is full of lawyers and judges. The system is disgustingly broken. Its not the cop's fault. I'm sure most of them didn't dream of being glorified revenuers. They wanted to make a difference. It doesn't mean it isn't busted.

Jim

Edited by JimandSarha (see edit history)

Just to clarify....

This topic is filled with emotion and I want to make my postion absolutely clear.

Nobody has more respect for the job that is being done by the police officers in this country than I. 99.9% of them are fine, upstanding people who are willing to risk their lives on a DAILY basis, simply because they want to do the right thing. I admire them and, to repeat, I couldn't do their job.

That said, it is very, very important that they be supported by their superiors, administrators, our lawmakers, the courts and... THE PUBLIC! We don't help them when we allow stupid 'revenue generating' measures to be passed into law. We don't help them when our government increasingly tries to enforce 'nanny-ism'. We don't help them when their daily sacrifice is trivialized by those who see them as nothing more than tools of enforcement for whimsical stupidity, simply there to be squandered on some capricious nonsense codified by brainless idiots in our city councils, state and/or federal legislatures. We don't help them when SERIOUS criminals are allowed to run free without paying the penalty for the crimes they have commited. We certainly don't help them when we allow our broken justice system to continue to put dangerous felons on the street, thereby endangering the lives of any officer who may unknowingly do a traffic stop on a person convicted of a violent crime.

The counterpoint to all this is that the police THEMSELVES must do a better job of 'self-policing'. As Police Commissioner of my small town, I knew who was a "cowboy" and who wasn't. Not only did the officer's let me know, but complaints from regular citizens always became a pattern around those officers who had an "issue" with politeness and authority. One of my jobs was to intervene before that kind of problem became a SERIOUS problem. Unfortunately, too often, other officers would close ranks. They never knew on which given day that potential "loose cannon" would be watching their backs. It was also their unspoken "code"; to support each other and defend each other an draw together in that peculiar "brotherhood" that would cause them to cover for each other.

If the police were more universally respected, if the public didn't have an image based solely on marginal traffic stops by a SWAT team garbed, sunglass wearing, gun toting authoritarian figure, it might be easier for that public to comprehend how much they need and should appreciate that officer that is willing to lay down his life for them when their is a SERIOUS problem afoot.

I don't know how to solve the problem, but I know one exists, and I know it's gotten worse since I did my 3 year stint as Commissioner some 18 years ago.

There are two sides to this issue. Nobody should be gratuitiously insulting the police, but we should NEVER be reading stories about unarmed citizens being shot 18 times while sitting in their car after a batchelor party, and, IF we do hear about such a occurance, there should be an IMMEDIATE investigation with civilian oversight, open to the public, with no bullshit about 'administrative leave' and 'privacy concerns'. It should be as open as it would be with ANY citizen, maybe even moreso. In fact, with all the traing they SHOULD have completed, there is no reason a policeman shouldn't be held to a higher standard than a regular citizen. Any of the sensationalist police involved shootings we read about in the papers would result in the IMMEDIATE arrest of an armed citizen; not right to handle that citizen any more harshly than someone who should be TRAINED to handle deadly force. To do less than any of the above is to jeapordize the relationship between the citizenry and L.E., and that just isn't worth it, for anybody.

Oh yeah, there should also be universal "Shall Issue" laws mandating issuance of a Concealed Carry Permit for any law abiding citizen of sound mind who applies for said permit. Almost all GOOD officers support such a measure because they know it will reduce street crime. It has proven to do so in the 90% of states that have already adopted such laws; these are states where violent crimes have dropped with none of the "blood-in-the-streets" we were promised by the lunatic anti-gun fringe.

Best Regards

Edited by DMikeS4321 (see edit history)

PS: Continuing to point out other countries problems with their police is an interesting diversionary tactic. But not effective. When you have no retort on the issue being debated, misdirection is the general direction taken and points to a weakness of any real argument.

Could we have more actual crime reduction if we used the police force for something other than the dominant use, traffic enforcement.

No one has even attempted effectively to mount an argument that the police are not doing revenue enhancement.

If someone is driving +20 in traffic, weaving in and out, driving under the influence, great, pull them over.

But looking for people doing 4 over and for touching a white line without actually causing an issue is pushing it in my book. We are over enforced for no other reason than collecting revenue. If this wasn't the case, then police cars in America would do what they do in much of the rest of the world. Drive around with the light bar going. Let people know they should behave. No, what we have are stealth techniques. Hiding on the side of the road. Driving in blind spots. Using unmarked squad cars. Using cars not generally associated with police work like Camaros and Mustangs.

Why?

They don't want you to NOT do the violation. They want to stealthily CATCH you doing the violation.

And when it works? When there is a decrease in traffic violations?? They panic and raise the fines to make up for the decrease in revenue.

Just like gas taxes. The liberal governement will TELL you they want to raise gasoline taxes to lower fuel consumption. For the good of the country don't you know...

But, when gas prices go up from market forces and we stop driving as much or switch to more efficient cars, and therefore the tax income is lowered, they fricking panic and start in on plans to tax us on miles driven instead on consumption.

I sold my BMW M3 and bought a Prius. I reacted to the fuel prices using market forces. Now California has to figure out how to make up for me dropping from about 8 gallons a day to 1 gallon a day when I'm in the country driving.

If we all did this, you'd see the true colors of government come out. "It" (policy, police motives, all of it) is all about the money.

There was even a article in the LA Times a couple of years ago about what they do with people that they arrest. See Paris Hilton for a resource. When they take someone into custody, they will take them to a local police station for processing. The cash register rings once for the police. Then they will move you to an interim incarceration facility like South Central and leave you there overnight. The cash register rings again. The next day they move you to Twin Towers for processing and medical evaluation. The cash register rings again.

During these three transactions you are moved often enough that it is difficult to imposssible for you to make bail. The will even take your possesions and seal them. So even if you were arrested with enough oney to bond yourself out, you can't.

After they get done billing they state as much as they can get before spending THEIR money on you, then the County of Los Angeles will get around to seeing if you can get bailed out.

It's a racket. It drives up your taxes. It keeps people locked up for 3 days or more when they could have been out in 30 minutes with standardized bonding (it is standardized) and access to a cash machine. But that doesn't further the revenue goals of the county. They need to move you around a lot and let doctors look at you and all that stuff. Not because you need it, they make money on it.

I could go on and on with this stuff. My family is full of lawyers and judges. The system is disgustingly broken. Its not the cop's fault. I'm sure most of them didn't dream of being glorified revenuers. They wanted to make a difference. It doesn't mean it isn't busted.

Jim

Here is a novel idea, slow down, observe the speed limits and traffic laws and you won't be getting tickets.

As aye,

Jim

Why?

Jim

Ok!!! I have had enough!!!

JimandSarha: Yes there are many policers here in this thread!!

You have no clue how many, But we are here!!!

I have noticed you have not replyed to any of the police here!!

WHY??? Maybe you where the one i had in me back a while back!!!

Maybe you where the one that was bitching about the way police do there jobs!!

You seam to know the law, But you do NOT!!!

Yes it is easy to fine all the Info you need on the internet.

But untill you live the life you have NO!! clue what you are talking about!!!

As for finding you, NO PROBLEM!!!

You say you have had your fair share of tickets.

That tells me you do not know the law and do not care!!!

The next time you see the red and blues in your rear view it may just be me or one of the other officers here reading your CRAP!!

I'll see you soon buddy!!

I agree. You're giving him exactly what he wants. Validation of his mis-guided paranoia.

I say just let him bloviate to his hearts content. Don't stoop to his level.

He's just one insignificant voice with an axe to grind railing against cops.

The majority of us have enough respect for law enforcement to know the difference between the everyday cop doing his/her job and the rare one who abuses his/her position.

Michael, (NUWORLD) it¡¯s OK, my friend !! You are a kind sweet man ;)

To [each] member whether within or outside of the law enforcement community, who understand what is occurring here; let us all take a step back and try, try, try, to ignore the provocations, starting right now !!!

Let¡¯s return to what this wonderful community of [true] ¡®members¡¯ and friends is all about: Our SO¡¯s, Lao Po¡¯s and Lao Gong¡¯s, mostly in China and with a few elsewhere in Asia/World and the process to enable their union with each of us here, ASAP. And also a place where those who are fortunate to now have their loved one at their side, can come and share their lives and experiences.

Trying to keep up with a shadowy individual like this, is a waste of energy and is counter productive for any of us. He may have a [few] followers here and maybe even a sock puppet or two, and that is their choice; however, for the rest of us who are moderates and don¡¯t taunt, or call each other names, and don¡¯t respond easily to illogical thought, let¡¯s get back to the [fun] and mutual support that we all enjoy here at the fabulous CFL. :wub: :P The collective body here at CFL, is made up of some outstanding individuals, who all deserve so much better than what has happened here of late.

Last, and this is only my opinion; but my God, do I ever feel a responsibility to speak out: It is not beneficial nor appropriate, for any of us in a public forum such as this one...... one that is assessed and viewed often, by officers of the federal government, who may be passing judgment on any of you in the months ahead; to engage in dialogue about an activity, namely ¡®money laundering¡®, which is deemed as a felonious activity and ¡°poses a national security threat¡± in any of its forms. Don¡¯t get led down the preverbal path by some unknown pied piper. Moreover, observing some individual member comments in one thread today, I am not alone in this judgment nor feeling of discomfort, in this regard. ;)

Excerpt, from a USDOS web page:

The U.S. State Department (DOS) said in a 2006 Strategy Report that "money laundering of any category, poses both international and national security threats, at the highest level; through corruption of officials and legal systems, undermines free enterprise by crowding out the private sector, and threatens the financial stability of countries and the international free flow of capital."

Peace and success to all of my member friends here !!! ;)

My family owns a law firm. My father, brother, sister. All lawyers. The sister is a Circuit Court Judge.

I've got cops for "friends". They think we're friends. I think they take too many steroids, work out too much and thnk their Glock is their penis.

Why do people not have a high opinion of law enforcement? Lots of reasons. Too many to go into. Probably its mostly the attitude and the complete lack of doing what they are paid to do.

Most cops are in traffic enforcement as far as I can see.

How many rapes, robberies, assaults and murders are there on the roads????

Sure, driving is dangerous. But in the scheme of things, the real societal destruciton is not in us driving 80 in a 65.

So why are they there? Its the money. They are addicted to the money they get from traffic enforcement.

I can honstly tell you that I could get stopped 5 times a day for traffic offenses and never miss the money. I've got all I can use and then some. Its the attitude.

Now, lets not put my attitude to my perceived failure of the police to do what I consider to do their jobs. I can point out a correlating attitude that puts it all into perspective.

Do people dislike the fire department? No, generally the fire department gets very high marks from people.

How can this be?

Well, generally firemen show up when they are needed in 5 minutes or less.

There are no cops where we NEED them. They are on the road collecting taxes at the threatened point of a gun.

Could it be job performance? Hmmm. It seems cops are 100% effective in giving me a ticket.

Firemen on the other hand regularly fail to stop fires and the house is a complete loss. And yet, the public and even the specific homeowner usually thank the firemen for doing all they could. Why? When firemen get done doing their jobs, they are usually exhausted, quite often injured, possibly even dead. And they often apologize for not being able to do more.

Cops on the other hand occasionally shoot citizens to death for no apparent cause.

I appreciate the fireman who can't prevent me from potentially losing everything in the world I own including my wife and children much more than the cop who purports to be trying to save me from myself while handing me a ticket for $300.00, while the 'streets' are running with blood and drugs. Thank you very much Officer Friendly.

Hey, if someone breaks into your home then call the fire department, not the police. :lol:

The traffic checks do save people, and while I agree they shouldn't be there more than protecting schools and such, they are only doing what they are told. The fact is our prisons are underfunded in most cases, and busting you for $300 brings in revenue and doesn't fill up a jail cell, while busting an illegal standing on the corner for the next pickup, cost the State money.

The police have a stressful job, much more so than the Chinese police. American police chase a robber with sometimes semi-automatic weapons, something a Chinese officer would never see. Our highway patrol gets ran over on the road after pulling someone over. I've seen female cops literally bludgeoned nearly to death on TV. Again, these are all things Chinese police don't face. So realize you live in a criminal culture country where our cops have to be much tougher, so the John Wayne attitude if often fitting. Good evidence of this is that fact you stated you own a gun. How many Chinese did you meet that owned one?

====================

on to your next post...dunno which one

And about the accidents in the US compared to China. Check out their speed limits, and their requirements for a driver's license, and there will be your answers as to why they have less accidents. They don't' have "snow birds" driving', and teenagers are too poor to own a car either. Just comparing apples to oranges.

Amazing how a simple question about does your wife watch the TV show Cops and what was her reaction has evolved into a thread about good cops/ bad cops / revenue chasing / jack booted thugs / fear of police / police funding and taxation. Go figure!!!!

Amazing how a simple question about does your wife watch the TV show Cops and what was her reaction has evolved into a thread about good cops/ bad cops / revenue chasing / jack booted thugs / fear of police / police funding and taxation. Go figure!!!!

Ahhhh...

If only life were that simple. :D

Ahhhh...

If only life were that simple. :)

You guys know that almost every thread does this, usually in some related way. What was said makes you uncomfortable so you complain.

So do we need a class in thread etiquette? :sosad: I feel bad posting this because Don wants us back on topic, but........

When the word "Cops" is said what is the first thing that pops into your head? ............... It ain't the TV show! Hell give us a break will Ya?

First thing that pops in my head: For me it is a traffic cop with a radar cruising looking for speeders, or on the side of the road pointing it at you. Motorcycle cops are the worst and do little else. I cannot imagine a traffic cops attitude toward people to do this as a career. Every day get up to go write tickets. My guess is I see cops looking for speeders about 55-100 times-to-one patrolling a neighborhood, or businesses at night with a spot light. Too bad our cities, and cops, have decided to emphasize traffic so much. But then it is easy, like I said earlier. Much easier than breaking into organized crime or white collar crime. Just remove the radar and the image of "Cops" will get better.

Oh, I saw a bicycle cop in downtown Ft. Worth get real aggressive and bully like to a J-walker not so long ago. What an attitude. What a purpose in life that man must feel.

I don't dislike police people at all. Most are rather nice to talk with. It is a shame where city and other governments put their resources. They are the ones who decide, by law (ordinance) to emphasize what they do and result in who is hired and for what.

Oh yeah a little town next to Ft Worth, famous as a speed trap, fired Officer Rose, because he would not write tickets if someone was 2-3 or 5 miles over the limit. Seems he pissed off resident for stopping some children, and adults, to advise them to ride their bicycle on the right hand side of the street the legal way. He also corrected some other residents for other things. They just want ticket writers in that little town.

Our Fed Gov has a hand in speeding tickets. Seems locals must show enforcement or federal highway funding is withheld. Government Government Government. They love to regulate us instead of doing things that are really needed, like sealing borders and stopping drugs, etc etc etc. :toot: