During a recent phone conversation, I mentioned to my SO that I have an urn with my mother's ashes in it in my house and that I'm holding on to them until I can find the vacation time to spread them out at sea (per my mother's wishes). This deeply troubled my SO, because she feels that this act sort of invited restless ghosts or something into our house. She wont even let me leave the urn in the garage when she gets here.

Obviously, I can get a friend to hold onto them, although I feel strange asking the favor. Having an urn in the house is a pretty common western tradition, does your SO have serious issues with this too?

During a recent phone conversation, I mentioned to my SO that I have an urn with my mother's ashes in it in my house and that I'm holding on to them until I can find the vacation time to spread them out at sea (per my mother's wishes). This deeply troubled my SO, because she feels that this act sort of invited restless ghosts or something into our house. She wont even let me leave the urn in the garage when she gets here.

Obviously, I can get a friend to hold onto them, although I feel strange asking the favor. Having an urn in the house is a pretty common western tradition, does your SO have serious issues with this too?

Do it now ! Will she settle for a river?

If our SO expect us to respect their culture and traditions which I don't think any of us will have a problem doing so, then, how about making it a two-way street.

You've been married how long? Ain't no such thing as a two-way street; there's only her way and the wrong way.

I would agree with you on many other things but this particular issue is different. If the situation was turned around, how would she feel?

I've heard that some chinese keep the urn at a business who 'take care of it'.. till the famly takes care of it.. but it doesn't go in the house...

I'm not sure that I would care to live in a house with a cremation urn, either.

I've heard that some chinese keep the urn at a business who 'take care of it'.. till the famly takes care of it.. but it doesn't go in the house...

I'm not sure that I would care to live in a house with a cremation urn, either.

In China the Chinese believe the deceased who are cremated and placed in urns should be buried underground in a gravesite and not kept in the house, they can pay a yearly fee to keep the urns at a cemetery until they purchase the gravesite. My wife also believes in spirits or ghost and they are not something to take lightly. Each year they have a ceremony for the deceased where they burn incense, replicas of currency, gold coins, shoes, etc. and will eat a feast in honor of the dead to ensure they have everything they will need in their afterlife. She doesn't understand how or why Americans can celebrate Halloween and thinks it is a foolish tradition.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)