If we knew in November what we know now, 20/20 hindsight we would have chosen the CR-1. Only file the I-130, and stick with it. We were hoping to have the I-130 catch the I-129F just like (NUWORLD, Mike), but they changed the proceedure, and we were in a catch - 22. Unknown territory, I filed the I-824. Now we will have the choice in the distant future. At least we will be together, Mike & Zhen

Mike,

One thing. Do you have to have the NOA2 for both the I-130 AND the I-129F (CR1 &K3) before sending in the I-824?

If we pay the fees (either $200x2 or $340x2 depending on weather we get the approvals before or after the end of July) for the I-824 and we get the K3/4 first and our SO and daughter make it here and we change our minds and decide to do the AOS rather than return to GZ for the CR1/2 interview, will the DHS apply the fees paid for the I-824, $680, towards the AOS fees of $2020 (for my SO and her daughter)???

Or if we pay the fees for the I-824 are we deciding to return to China for the CR1/2 interview?.....Unless we want to pay another $2020 to AOS in the US???

What do you think?

Mark

I am confused. If one goes through a K3 interview then does she have to go through a CR/1 interview also?

Yes.

But then they answered this pretty clear.

We could have done some things different and wound up maybe getting AOS here, BUT we made some errors in doing the CR1/2 process which caused some time delays. I just didn't worry about the time lines like my wife. She signed up to get an MBA during the process so I figured what the heck, we have a long way to go anyway. As it is she came over for a visit on the K3 and returned to finish her last 2-3 classes just in time for the CR1/2 interview. So in hind sight some of my 'don't give a rats-' attitude worked out almost perfect. She got upset that I did not try to figure out the AOS process time closer and finger print, so she could return just in time for more classes. I looked at the time and it just looked all over the place, or too risky in her class attending situation. So I just concluded CR1 & 2 all the way.

Took us an extra 285 days longer for CR1 after she got the K3, but 37-45 days of that is our own delay/mistakes, and another 2 months for a mantis check on her work/education after the CR1/2 interview. There was no way for her to come over here on a K3 with this college thing going, until Chinese New Year. If there had been no mantis then the timing would have been perfect. Otherwise she could have been back here 30-45 days ago.

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)

I am confused. If one goes through a K3 interview then does she have to go through a CR/1 interview also?

Yes.

But then they answered this pretty clear.

We could have done some things different and wound up maybe getting AOS here, BUT we made some errors in doing the CR1/2 process which caused some time delays. I just didn't worry about the time lines like my wife. She signed up to get an MBA during the process so I figured what the heck, we have a long way to go anyway. As it is she came over for a visit on the K3 and returned to finish her last 2-3 classes just in time for the CR1/2 interview. So in hind sight some of my 'don't give a rats-' attitude worked out almost perfect. She got upset that I did not try to figure out the AOS process time closer and finger print, so she could return just in time for more classes. I looked at the time and it just looked all over the place, or too risky in her class attending situation. So I just concluded CR1 & 2 all the way.

Took us an extra 285 days longer for CR1 after she got the K3, but 37-45 days of that is our own delay/mistakes, and another 2 months for a mantis check on her work/education after the CR1/2 interview. There was no way for her to come over here on a K3 with this college thing going, until Chinese New Year. If there had been no mantis then the timing would have been perfect. Otherwise she could have been back here 30-45 days ago.

Hey Doug thanks for the explanation. I studied your timeline close and it was somewhat confusing to me. But now I understand. Thankssssssss

Mark, you need the NOA-2 Approval for the I-130. The I-130 and the I-129F should be approved together. The I-130 Noa-2 will stay that it is being held in the states for AOS, thus the need for the I-824.

No fees are ever transferred! bye bye !

You could change you mind before you pay any bills for the CR-1, at the NVC. Looks I won't receive a bill until after the K-3 and arrival in the states

You will be paying the $340 + $450 each, So far I have not seen any fee increases posted by DOS, Mike & Zhen

Well it definitely sounds like the CR1 only would be the way to go. The only advantage I can see is that the K3 "might" be quicker but then again only by a short amount of time. But in the same sense, the K3 has its extra burdens when she gets to the USA. Plus the K3 costs additional money. This has turned out to be pretty much a no brainer. Thanks guys a lot for your help and your experiences. Nothing beats a CFL informed decision :)

When my wife arrives in the U.S. does she get the G.C. there on the spot? or do we need to do more paper work?

I think i understand the process of getting the SS#.

The GC should arrive automatically in the mail...

Some CR1s are confused by a checkbox on a form submitted, thinking they will get a SSN too... that is not the case. You should go to a SS office about 10 days after arrival (let your SO get into their system).

David, I have been reading about the SS card, and I looked over the DS-230, part-2 the problem has been that most people don't answer the questions correctly. #33a. must be no; and yes, for the question do you want to be assigned a SS# . Also you must answer #33b. consent to disclosure with a yes. It also says if you don't receive your SS card with in 14 days after you enter the U.S. to go to your nearest SSA office and they can see if you have been entered into the system. If not, they will help get your card quickly. Mike & Zhen

it also says over 75%, of those who fill out the form correctly, get their card within the 14 days!

David, I have been reading about the SS card, and I looked over the DS-230, part-2 the problem has been that most people don't answer the questions correctly. #33a. must be no; and yes, for the question do you want to be assigned a SS# . Also you must answer #33b. consent to disclosure with a yes. It also says if you don't receive your SS card with in 14 days after you enter the U.S. to go to your nearest SSA office and they can see if you have been entered into the system. If not, they will help get your card quickly. Mike & Zhen

it also says over 75%, of those who fill out the form correctly, get their card within the 14 days!

Try it. Others have. Like David says, it's typically used for employment, not family visas.

Try it, and wait 14 days, then go to your SS office and fill out an application there.