Quickie marriage/Quickie divorce

I live in Florida.

When my fiance and I leave China,we will live in Florida.

Just trying to be practical,where is the best place to get married quickly in America,but is the easiest place to get a non contested divorce?

Ive never been married before so I have no experience with this.

I just want everything to go smoothly for both of us,and if my fiance is not happy in America married to me,I want to get the whole thing over with easily.

I dont have much money,or own any land,and my personal property is just a 1966 Dodge Dart and a 1950 Spartian Royal Mansion travel trailer.Im not worried that I would loose a lot of stuff in a divorce situation.

What state is the BEST place to get married,if the thing ends up in a non contested divorce?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick marriage has to be Las Vegas, it is recommended to take the completed marriage license back to the county clerk's office to get cert quickly.

http://www.co.clark.nv.us/clerk/marriage_information.htm

As for non-contested divorce, firstly you may want to consider a prenuptial before getting married.

You're funny. A '66 Dodge Dart? I remember that in some goofy song, one time. "Nerd" comes to mind :P

On a more serious note, you can get married quickly anywhere in the US. Just pay the clerk for the license and have the Justice of the Peace marry you on the spot! Most states have done away with the blood test thingy.

Divorce is a different story, however. No one can predict the outcome or the course of a divorce for you. But one thing is for sure; they can be pretty nasty, not to say costly! Proceed with caution! ;)

I think most states have a cooling off period after getting the license - in Texas, it's 2 days.

As far as divorce, I think you still need to schedule a court hearing, even if uncontested. In Louisiana, you must live separately for a year (unless they've changed it recently)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

As for non-contested divorce, firstly you may want to consider a prenuptial before getting married.

Ok.

She gets the electric bicycle,the toothpicks,the refridgerator

w/ 3 year old box of frozen peas,and the pirated DVDs from China.

I get the 66 Dodge Dart,all the Jethro Tull albums,the fishing poles,

and the 1950 Spartian Royal Mansion Travel Trailer.

I live in Florida.

Just trying to be practical,where is the best place to get married quickly in America,but is the easiest place to get a non contested divorce?

Nothing says love like planning your divorce before getting married.

Perhaps you should investigate writing a prenuptial agreement that both of you sign before getting married.

Ok.

She gets the electric bicycle,the toothpicks,the refridgerator

w/ 3 year old box of frozen peas,and the pirated DVDs from China.

I get the 66 Dodge Dart,all the Jethro Tull albums,the fishing poles,

and the 1950 Spartian Royal Mansion Travel Trailer.

That's every bit of what? 8 grand? :P

In Georgia you can walk right in, fill out some paperwork, get married immediately and leave with the certificate in hand. In Fulton County Georgia you can download the forms from the internet, take $85.00 to the courthouse, wait a month or two and then be divorced.

I've been quiet since this thread started. Mainly because the idea of wanting to know how to get divorced before you are even married really bothers me. Every marriage has risks but it seems to me if someone is that unsure about it then perhaps they shouldn't get married at all.

After living in China to be with her for so long and struggling through the visa process in the way you have both gone through it seems the two of you would have determined if you were committed to each other by this time.

One foot in and one foot out is not a good way to begin a marriage of any type or culture.

Texas is 2-3 days wait on marriage, but I here Oklahoma is same day marriage and I know Nevada is same day marriage because I did it once. In fact the clerks office is open until 11 or 12 midnight and the marriage shops are open that late as well, except on weekends when it is all night for everything.

Getting a divorce in Nevada is not as quick as you think. I looked into it my last time. I guess it still boils down to property and probably your own state needs to do the divorece.

Personally I have always said some similar things to my wife and DEARLY wished she could have visited America, my house, my family, and all before making a commitment of marriage. Of course I sent as many pics of everything that I could, including the cities and maps. I understand where your coming from, but wouldn't push it too much.

(On a side note you can legally marry your first cousin in Texas, but Nevada it must be at least a 2nd cousin.) B)