Help with Family Name Change

We were CR-1 all the way thru (i.e. no K3) and when we applied for a SSN no problem at all when she said she wanted my family name added to her name.

Ditto here....After Ying was in the US for about two weeks, we went to the Social Security office.....showed her Ying's visa and the translation of our marriage certificate. Because the computer showed that Immigration had not yet submitted he for a SSAN, she was processed for an initial card. It was no problem to put it in her married name.....Must be a Texas thing.

We're just waitng to do it when we file citizenship papers. Seems much easier. Social Security Numbers, Bank account numbers and Driver Licence numbers all stay the same anyway. Changing the names assocated with these documents also dosen't seem to be very hard.

(Heck, divorced people do it all the time!)

Once a certificate of citizenship is issued, you can apply for a passport. Using these two documents, changing drivers licences, SSN and etc shouldn't be so hard at all.

This is a related subject to the family name change.

I'm bringing my SO to America on a K1.

At what point do I submit the paperwork to change her family name to mine?

Get married, get your SS, apply for Texas ID or TDL and AOS in her married name and you're home free.

We tried that and the MORONS at Social Security would not change it , we did have the name change on her drivers license and then had to change it back because it did not match the home land security info

So we maybe will try to change it on the AOS for the 10 year Green card .

It is a real Pain in the ---

I think we will do the court name change since she goes by Lisa and many people have a problem with Yanping which will then be her new middle name