Greencard pending due to namecheck

Hmmm, I'm not sure enough to say if she can apply for citizenship or not but I do know that my wife's 2 yr card expired 2 years from the date of the AOS interview not the date the card was made. I also know she is eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years from the same date.

Yes I was wondering what the issue date would be on the card, so it is possible that approved pending name check, as in OP's case may and probably will result in the 10 year card, and the ability to apply for citizenship shortly there after.

But the 10 Year card depends on how many years they've been married, not the green card date. Citizenship depends on the green card date.

Dating the green card to the interview date could make it a little sticky if someone's green card were issued close to the 2nd anniversary of the AOS interview.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I'm not sure enough to say if she can apply for citizenship or not but I do know that my wife's 2 yr card expired 2 years from the date of the AOS interview not the date the card was made. I also know she is eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years from the same date.

Yes I was wondering what the issue date would be on the card, so it is possible that approved pending name check, as in OP's case may and probably will result in the 10 year card, and the ability to apply for citizenship shortly there after.

But the 10 Year card depends on how many years they've been married, not the green card date. Citizenship depends on the green card date.

Dating the green card to the interview date could make it a little sticky if someone's green card were issued close to the 2nd anniversary of the AOS interview.

Our IO did mention my wife can apply for USC in three years after

he said we passed.

We shall see. :P

Everything I have read says that a permanent resident may apply to become a citizen if they have been married to the same US citizen for a period of 3 years after they became a permanent resident. It mentions being issued a green card but is vague as to whether or not a green card is required. Since the IO approves or denies the resident status at the time of the interview and everyone I know who has received their green card has the date of the interview approval as the issue date then I assume the same holds true for citizenship application. Sigh Where is Frank when we need him?

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

I was just curious. The new rules and fees go into effect 6-30-2007.

Can I file for citizenship for my son and wife due to the fact we have been married past a certain time. (I have been told this is true)

Would save me a ton of money and also we could just get by all of this AOS crap!

If anybody knows anything about this, please give me some advise.

If not, I'll just keep hanging my head and try to remain patient.

Patrick

Hang in there Patrick. I myself have given up being patient. I have been working all weekend on a PLAINTIFF¡¯S ORIGINAL COMPLAINT

FOR WRIT IN THE NATURE OF MANDAMUS & DECLARATORY JUDGEMENT.

In my damages section I am listing:

18. The Plaintiff has been greatly damaged by the failure of Defendants to act in accord with their duties under the law.

(a) Specifically, Plaintiff , has been unable to obtain legal permanent residence, travel and work without restriction and accrue time to be eligible for Naturalization as a citizen of the United States.

Member #153 is mightily pissed off about the green card for the SO. Suing the SOB's is my only option and I am finally going to do it. I've held off for awhile, but 34 months is enough.

I assume that they never gave you a reason why it's taken this long ?

did you ever try the political route ?

anyway

I hope this gets their attention .

I filed a Freedom of information request and I have NOT gotten it -that was 3 years ago - I filed a complaint about that last year - said they would process my request -so far nothing

IN most cases unless YOU do Take them to court they can have you wait till Hell freezes over B)

I was just curious. The new rules and fees go into effect 6-30-2007.

Can I file for citizenship for my son and wife due to the fact we have been married past a certain time. (I have been told this is true)

Would save me a ton of money and also we could just get by all of this AOS crap!

If anybody knows anything about this, please give me some advise.

If not, I'll just keep hanging my head and try to remain patient.

Patrick

Hang in there Patrick. I myself have given up being patient. I have been working all weekend on a PLAINTIFF¡¯S ORIGINAL COMPLAINT

FOR WRIT IN THE NATURE OF MANDAMUS & DECLARATORY JUDGEMENT.

In my damages section I am listing:

18. The Plaintiff has been greatly damaged by the failure of Defendants to act in accord with their duties under the law.

(a) Specifically, Plaintiff , has been unable to obtain legal permanent residence, travel and work without restriction and accrue time to be eligible for Naturalization as a citizen of the United States.

Member #153 is mightily pissed off about the green card for the SO. Suing the SOB's is my only option and I am finally going to do it. I've held off for awhile, but 34 months is enough.

I assume that they never gave you a reason why it's taken this long ?

did you ever try the political route ?

anyway

I hope this gets their attention .

I filed a Freedom of information request and I have NOT gotten it -that was 3 years ago - I filed a complaint about that last year - said they would process my request -so far nothing

IN most cases unless YOU do Take them to court they can have you wait till Hell freezes over :angry:

...and that's a damn shame, too!

I'm still waiting on my stepdaughter's GC. The date on her I-485 receipt notice is August 2004. I think I'm following behind Stats and Patrick, kind of like, "take a number and step aside, please." :P

I think you're right,Carl.

Patrick says the IO approved his wife but the GC is in namecheck limbo. If she was indeed approved by the IO at the appointment, then her time starts there with or without the greencard.

Wouldn't the time start correspond to the Notice of Action (I-797) approval date? Has your stepdaughter received a NoA (I-797) for her AoS petition?

Patrick says the IO approved his wife but the GC is in namecheck limbo. If she was indeed approved by the IO at the appointment, then her time starts there with or without the greencard.

WHOA - we are placing too much emphasis on the word "approved" here. The interview is passed, or no by the IO, the security check is passed or not, and the green card is dated when it's dated. I think what we're hearing is that's it's post-dated to the interview date. But the hoops are still jumped through before the card is issued.

Wouldn't the time start correspond to the Notice of Action (I-797) approval date? Has your stepdaughter received a NoA (I-797) for her AoS petition?

We didn't get any kind of I-797 of approval. It's like Pete said earlier in this thread is the same thing that happend to us. Once the IO approved the AOS, the 3 years to citizenship begins. Our IO said the same thing as he stamped my wife's passport with the temporary I-551.

The 3 years start when the IO approves the case.

We didn't get any kind of I-797 of approval. It's like Pete said earlier in this thread is the same thing that happend to us. Once the IO approved the AOS, the 3 years to citizenship begins. Our IO said the same thing as he stamped my wife's passport with the temporary I-551.

The 3 years start when the IO approves the case.

Right, I understand your situation, but technically, shouldn't USCIS send you an I-797 NoA approval letter once the IO approves your case? Without a cleared background check, the IO wouldn't issue a I-551 stamp in your SO, or daughter's--passport, correct? Is your daughter waiting for a background check? Or what's holding her GC issuance?

WHOA - we are placing too much emphasis on the word "approved" here. The interview is passed, or no by the IO, the security check is passed or not, and the green card is dated when it's dated. I think what we're hearing is that's it's post-dated to the interview date. But the hoops are still jumped through before the card is issued.

I guess each case is different, Randy, but I'm going on what the IO said to us at our appointment. I watched him as he placed the I-551 stamp in my wife's passport and said that the 3 years to citizenship starts now. Patrick's timeline says interveiw passed but waiting namecheck. I'm sure his wife will eventually get her GC as his stepson got his.

But I would think the 3 years would start at the time, and date, of the approval regardless how long it takes to get the GC.

I guess each case is different, Randy, but I'm going on what the IO said to us at our appointment. I watched him as he placed the I-551 stamp in my wife's passport and said that the 3 years to citizenship starts now. Patrick's timeline says interveiw passed but waiting namecheck. I'm sure his wife will eventually get her GC as his stepson got his.

But I would think the 3 years would start at the time, and date, of the approval regardless how long it takes to get the GC.

Yes - the IO knows (and will tell you) whether it's waiting for an FBI security check or not, or whether the card will be in the mail. If the green card is post-dated for those of us who have to wait for the clearance, that is good news.

There is no NOA after the interview. You get a welcome to America letter then shortly after the green card.

Yes - the IO knows (and will tell you) whether it's waiting for an FBI security check or not, or whether the card will be in the mail. If the green card is post-dated for those of us who have to wait for the clearance, that is good news.

The date on the GC will be the 'final' approval date--not always the interview date. My wife and stepdaughter both interviewed on the same day--both passed but my stepdaughter needed the FBI namecheck. My wife's GC is dated the date of the interview--my stepdaughters is dated six months later-AFTER the name check was done!!