For all the veterans and for those that either never had the chance, or chose not to serve in the Armed Forces of the US, whether liberal or not; at the end of the day, it really doesn¡¯t matter.

I f y o u a r e a b l e,

Save for them a place

Inside of you,

And save one backward glance

When you are leaving,

For the places they can no longer go,

Be not ashamed to say

You loved them,

Though you may or

May not always have,

Take what they have left

And what they have taught you

With their dying

And keep it with your own,

And in that time

When men decide, and feel safe,

To call the war insane,

Take one moment to embrace

Those gentle heroes

You left behind.

By Captain Michael Davis O'Donnell

Killed in Action 24 March 1970, Republic of Vietnam

Promoted to Major after status changed to MIA

My only prayer on this weekend is to my special friends that have left me behind! PFC Peter Geis, SP5 David Dewalt (Combat Medic), Cpl Howard Kroze, PFC Gilberto Jesus Rodriquez, Cpl Huachucua Menedez/Santiago, SP4 Cosme Miguel Ibarrara, SGT Stacy Spell, CW2 Gary Bolz, 1LT Steven Gilpen, PV2 Joshua Barry Dixon (aka ¡°dapper¡± ), SSG Eric Wade, SFC Jim Morrissey and finally SGT Issac Stanislaski.

Your families and I still remember who and what you were. It has been going on 28 years. Your memories are still fresh in my mind, as I had met with you yesterday. It keeps me alive. Although, I have thought of it many times in the past, quitting Life to be with you. I still see you in my dreams and nightmares. I will remain strong for you!

I see your families when I can They are doing fine. The children still remember you. A portion of their minds has moved on. However, you have never left completely.

I¡¯m still lonely and look forward to the day when we can be together again as soldiers. May God continue to hold you gently! I will see you soon, my friends.

Guest knloregon

Let me join your tribute Cerberus,

And thank you for posting------and thank you for posting the names of specific men.

It allows me to focus better.

This year, in my neighborhood we lost another WW 2 vet. ---I have written about him here before---my neighbor, Pete--who never thought he was much. But he served on an ammuniton ship in the Pacific, which resupplied the "Mighty Mo's" 16 inch guns. The kamakazi tried, but missed his ship, so he felt his role was minor... So long Pete....

And yes, as some here know, I was a war protester during VN, but I have nothing but respect for those who served... and gave "The last full measure...."

I will join in.

My father was in WWII and in Paten's 3rd Army. He saw a lot of action in Re-con. He did not do anything special about celebrations because he did not want to brag, nor did he draw attention to any dreams he had after coming home that might be nightmares for others. He just worked hard after. But he had a lot of really good stories.

I missed Nam but stayed up and watched the POWs come home every night it was broadcast. I just had to do it for some reason. If I had volunteered it would have been when we were downsizing and pulling out. If our leaders had decided to escalate when I was 18 then maybe I would have joined.

I would like to pay tribute to those who never get it. The men and women who supported our country and the troops and the world by producing the equipment used in the military. Of course my old story here of one particular program that helped bring down the Berlin wall, and broke the Soviet Unions will to compete. That weapon system cost the lives of some good people because of the urgency and time table that would not change no matter the 3 major redesigns. One of those people was my immediate boss who dropped dead from a heart attack like the others on that program, some right in the office, with an average of one per month. Stress so high you could feel it in the office. He left 2 young teenage boys behind and a wife. When a video and small model was sent to all who worked on that system, including those who no longer worked for those companies (they tracked everyone down), I called and made sure those 2 boys personally got copies so they knew what their father died for. I hope they knew the importance of it. Anyway it was the cold war. The war their father died in.

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)

Thank you Cerberus and to all of those who have served, your sacrifice will never be forgotten!!!

My annual tribute to the best man I have ever known, my father. He served with the 1st Division, the Big Red One in Europe. Never talked much about his time in Europe. Like many from his generation he felt that he did what was asked and then put it behind him as best he could. It wasn't until high school that I learned of his 5 bronze stars and his involvement in D-Day and the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge). How anyone could have lived through that and returned to live a normal life is beyond me. He was a quiet man who cherished my mother and refused to let his children join the military, insisting that he served so his children would never have to.

http://altairdigital.com/arpanet/dad.jpg

My Dads' daily diary from WWII

http://altairdigital.com/arpanet/dday.jpg

My Dad carried this poem with him until the day he died.

http://altairdigital.com/arpanet/lookgod.jpg

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

During some really really bad times in WWII my father prayed, though this was not his typical daily practice. Being the forward radio operator in the G2 net in reconisance when the orders came to turn around and retreat he never trasmitted the curse words that came with it. He figured they needed all the help they could get from above. They were always under heavy fire during those times. In recon they were the ones holding the enemy by the nose so the main force could kick the enemies ass. So they went in behind enemy lines shooting and blowing up everything and everybody to make it look like a major attack to draw enemy fire away from where the main force would attack from. They had a high turnover rate.

Let me join your tribute Cerberus,

And thank you for posting------and thank you for posting the names of specific men.

It allows me to focus better.

This year, in my neighborhood we lost another WW 2 vet. ---I have written about him here before---my neighbor, Pete--who never thought he was much. But he served on an ammuniton ship in the Pacific, which resupplied the "Mighty Mo's" 16 inch guns. The kamakazi tried, but missed his ship, so he felt his role was minor... So long Pete....

And yes, as some here know, I was a war protester during VN, but I have nothing but respect for those who served... and gave "The last full measure...."

KNL,

That is why I added the line that liberal (protester) or not; in the end it really doesn't matter where you stood on a particular issue. At the risk of sounding liked a "canned" statement of propaganda, the reason that you can stand and protest where you is what we (soldiers) did. Many times we on our perspective and disagree, but that is YOUR right! However, we still bear the scars! This is NOT a debate or a political tirade. What is done; IS Done! The Russian proverb comes to mind; "The hardest thing to catch in the world, is a spoken word! Once said, it can never be undone." I suppose that it is the same in any war/conflict. Once started, it can never be recalled and a war never has prejudice. All (soldiers and civilians) become equal to the fury and horrors therein!

I apologize to all. Have been a bit quiet this weekend, remembering! That is the most painful part of war. Thinking of things that I should have done, the things I could have done and finally the things I would have done. When it is happening it isn't too bad! When you have time to philosophize, then the ghosts come back! Yes! Even, 25 years plus later!

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Thank you Cerberus and to all of those who have served, your sacrifice will never be forgotten!!!

My annual tribute to the best man I have ever known, my father. He served with the 1st Division, the Big Red One in Europe. Never talked much about his time in Europe. Like many from his generation he felt that he did what was asked and then put it behind him as best he could. It wasn't until high school that I learned of his 5 bronze stars and his involvement in D-Day and the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge). How anyone could have lived through that and returned to live a normal life is beyond me. He was a quiet man who cherished my mother and refused to let his children join the military, insisting that he served so his children would never have to.

http://altairdigital.com/arpanet/dad.jpg

My Dads' daily diary from WWII

http://altairdigital.com/arpanet/dday.jpg

My Dad carried this poem with him until the day he died.

http://altairdigital.com/arpanet/lookgod.jpg

Rak,

Very poignant poem and also filled with many truths. It always surprised me how many people found God in a fowhole, or prayed to him when they were in deep trouble! Only then do they find Him!

My only solution was to make peace with God, before and then fight like Hell to remain alive and sane! Too bad many other people can't find this out before. What was the old adage; "There aren't many atheists in foxholes?"

My condolences to your family and yourself, for the loss of your father