AOS too quick?

I had registered for email updates for the AOS, AP, and EAD status changes for my wife and stepson. I had sent in the applications for all on March 6. I just got several emails:

1) AP for wife has been approved

2) AP for stepson has been approved

3) AOS for wife has been approved

4) AOS for stepson requires additional evidence

5) Notification that a notice has been mailed welcoming

the new permanent resident (my wife)

I'm a little confused by this. Maybe I'm misinterpreting these emails. Can anyone answer the following:

a) I have not received anything about the EAD for both my wife and stepson. Can my wife work if she gets the AOS but not the EAD?

B) I thought that the AOS takes a couple of years, not 2-1/2 months.

c) Not sure why my stepson's AP is approved at the same time that his AOS requires more information.

d) Don't I have to do anything else when my wife gets her AOS. I seem to remember having to do something 90 days before the 2nd anniversary of her arrival in this country (I94) but not sure what.

Any comments would be apprciated. Thanks.

I have been reading often where AOS process faster than EAD, and AP. One of the reasons we are holding on AP (no international trips planed for a while)

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

A) YES AOS results in a Green-Card, a person can apply for SSN and work with the green-card.

B ) No it can take as short as 2 months but also as long as 2 years due to name checks.

C) AP, AOS, and EAD are handled by different sections of USCIS so one may approve the AP while the other doing AOS may need more evidence, and still another doing EAD may be backlogged.

D) You need to file I-751 to lift the conditions on the 2 year conditional green card within 90 days of the expiration of the green card. Has nothing to do when a person enters the country or wedding anniversary.

Great timeline for AOS. It does happen and they seem to be approving more of them without an interview these days. The EAD may have been a waste of money but you didn't know that at the time. With the AOS approval she will get a green card. She can get a SSN, work and travel. As Dnoblet mentioned you will need to file to lift the conditions within 90 days PRIOR to the green card expiration date. This is very important because if you wait until it expires she will be out of status and could be deported. Good luck and relax for 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...