Western etiquette

²ÙÄãÂè £¨cao ni ma) would be a bit like F yer mom. Another gem is ±ä̬ (bian tai) which is like saying gay when used to describe something.

Eye shit is actually pretty standard Chinese. The Chinese word for shit, in fact sounds very similar to the English but does not have the same weight. It's similar to crap or crud.

Tofu is also an interesting swear word when used in certain contexts. For example, if you were to say that you would like to try a certain someone's tofu, you might be in for some trouble.

My SO speaks almost perfect English (is there such a thing), so we don't have many issues with misunderstanding most things. No Chinglish words. The only time she uses chinese is when she talks to her parents on the phone. With me everything is always in English. She was using English curse words long before we met and she knows what they mean and when you're supposed to use them and when you're not. As for "sleep" in your eyes, she calls it "stuff", the same as boogers in your nose. I can see where it would be difficult explaining to someone how you can have "sleep" in your eye and "boogers" in your nose. But... if you live in some regions of America.. the thing you use to put your groceries in at the store is a cart.. other regions it's called a buggy. And if you're going to take someone somewhere in your car.. some people in the U.S. would say... "I'm going to take your Mother to the store." Other people would say.. "I'm going to carry your Mother to the store." Seems okay to most of us.. but some might think to themselves, "carry" them to the store, they're going to "carry" them? We have alot of strange idoims in the American language that will forever be hard for us to understand, so how much more so for our chinese wives?

In another vein, I have a similar topic regarding tipping in restaurants. Is it required to tip in a Chinese buffet, or any buffet for that matter? I say no, my other half says yes.

so who's right?

My wife has worked as a server in Chinese buffets. Tips are always welcome. I'm like you though. If all they are doing is seating us and bringing us our drink and then the tab, it doesn't seem like a tip is warrented. I still leave a couple of bucks on the table for them, but never the 15% or more tip onto the tab, so that it can end up in the owner's pocket.

We have alot of strange idoims in the American language that will forever be hard for us to understand, so how much more so for our chinese wives?

So very true. I am forever trying to explain those idioms to our Chinese ESL students...big head, lend me a hand, I'm all ears, she's nosy, don't rub it in...and those are just a few using our body as idioms.

I often tell them that English is not much different than Cantonese where both languages are filled with expressive idioms.

In another vein, I have a similar topic regarding tipping in restaurants. Is it required to tip in a Chinese buffet, or any buffet for that matter? I say no, my other half says yes.

so who's right?

Typically tipping at a buffet is $1.00 US per person at the table. This covers the tipping of the waitress who brings your drinks and clears the table of dirty plates during your stay. After all it's only a buck and its a job I would not want to do.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

so who's right?

My wife has worked as a server in Chinese buffets. Tips are always welcome. I'm like you though. If all they are doing is seating us and bringing us our drink and then the tab, it doesn't seem like a tip is warrented. I still leave a couple of bucks on the table for them, but never the 15% or more tip onto the tab, so that it can end up in the owner's pocket.

Typically the tips are totalled and split up equally among the staff.

On my first trip to China, I had just met my girlfriend's oldest brother after a harrowing ride from the airport with a NASCAR style taxi driver with an attitude. It turns out my girlfriend had hardballed him a little too strongly about his price and he needed to make a point to us....anyhow...I'm pretending that I am the driver, swerving the car all over the road and blowing my horn at everything that moved...when I was saying "BEEP, BEEP" I noticed my girlfriend and her brother looking at each other in shock and then busting out laughing hilariously at each other, and at me.

In private my girlfriend explained what I had said. I guess most of you understand their amusement at BEEP BEEP...LOL...if not, just say beep beep to your girlfriend or wife and see if you get a reaction.

tsap seui

so who's right?

Obviously, written by someone who isn't aware of how unscrupulous many Chinese business owners can be.

so who's right?

Obviously, written by someone who isn't aware of how unscrupulous many Chinese business owners can be.

As opposed to non-Chinese owners???? Of course there are some bad ones. But race has nothing to do with it. BTW the bigotry/racism thread is over there: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=25673&hl=

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)

On my first trip to China, I had just met my girlfriend's oldest brother after a harrowing ride from the airport with a NASCAR style taxi driver with an attitude. It turns out my girlfriend had hardballed him a little too strongly about his price and he needed to make a point to us....anyhow...I'm pretending that I am the driver, swerving the car all over the road and blowing my horn at everything that moved...when I was saying "BEEP, BEEP" I noticed my girlfriend and her brother looking at each other in shock and then busting out laughing hilariously at each other, and at me.

In private my girlfriend explained what I had said. I guess most of you understand their amusement at BEEP BEEP...LOL...if not, just say beep beep to your girlfriend or wife and see if you get a reaction.

tsap seui

We had a member whose wife didn't like her daughter imitating the Road Runner here in the US for the same reason. :lol:

²ÙÄãÂè £¨cao ni ma) would be a bit like F yer mom. Another gem is ±ä̬ (bian tai) which is like saying gay when used to describe something.

Eye shit is actually pretty standard Chinese. The Chinese word for shit, in fact sounds very similar to the English but does not have the same weight. It's similar to crap or crud.

Tofu is also an interesting swear word when used in certain contexts. For example, if you were to say that you would like to try a certain someone's tofu, you might be in for some trouble.

"cao ni ma" I was told it is pronounced "sheow nee ma"

:o :lol: