English Language Question

I have a question about the English tense. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. Look at the following example, which is better English:

A. I had blood test done last week. The result came back today, which shows that I am OK and healthy.

B. I had blood test done last week. The result came back today, which showed that I was OK and healthy.

Is A or B better? My wife thinks B is better, because every verb in the sentence is consistent, i.e. all in past tense. But my argument is that can "it showed me that I was OK" suggest that "the test can no longer show that I am still OK and healthy"? Since they are in past tense, it kind of saying: everything was past and I am no longer healthy and OK?

What do you think? Thank you for your elucidation.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife took an ESL class and wrote something like :"George Washington is the first President of United States.", which was later corrected by her ESL teacher as "George Washington was the first President of United States.".

My wife's argument is: as a matter of stated fact, George Washington still is the first President of United States, though he was elected many years ago. I told her that since George Washington is no longer alive, that is why we should use the past tense here. Make sense?

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

By saying "I was OK and healthy" it implies that you were but aren't now. Most people would say "I am". "I am" implies from that time up to now. Either way is grammatically correct.

By saying "I was OK and healthy" it implies that you were but aren't now. Most people would say "I am". "I am" implies from that time up to now. Either way is grammatically correct.

So do you prefer Choice A "I had blood test done last week. The result came back today, which shows that I am OK and healthy."?

So do you prefer Choice A "I had blood test done last week. The result came back today, which shows that I am OK and healthy."?

That's how I would say it.

I have a question about the English tense. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. Look at the following example, which is better English:

A. I had blood test done last week. The result came back today, which shows that I am OK and healthy.

Neither sentence is grammatically sound. Try:

I had a blood test done last week. The results, which came back today, show that my blood is normal.

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)

Neither sentence is grammatically sound. Try:

I had a blood test done last week. The results, which came back today, show that my blood is normal.

Your response just highlighted the pitfalls that we ESL speakers encounter on a daily basis. Thank you both, Carl and Curt.

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

If I was still holding the result and just finished reading it, or explaining the result to someone while holding it, I would say "shows."

Later, when having the same conversation, but having already seen the result, I would say "showed." If the blood test included more than one reading I would use "results." For example, the blood test I usually have may include blood sugar, complete blood lipid panel, and liver enzyme levels.

If I was still holding the result and just finished reading it, or explaining the result to someone while holding it, I would say "shows."

Later, when having the same conversation, but having already seen the result, I would say "showed." If the blood test included more than one reading I would use "results." For example, the blood test I usually have may include blood sugar, complete blood lipid panel, and liver enzyme levels.

But you and Carl are giving advise on improving the grammar of a sentence that would still be grammatically incorrect after your recommendation. The point is moot.

B. I had blood test done last week. The result came back today, which showed that I was OK and healthy.

Is A or B better? My wife thinks B is better, because every verb in the sentence is consistent, i.e. all in past tense. But my argument is that can "it showed me that I was OK" suggest that "the test can no longer show that I am still OK and healthy"? Since they are in past tense, it kind of saying: everything was past and I am no longer healthy and OK?

Both are acceptable. If I had to pick one I would select "B". The test is at a set point in time and not ongoing, so it is in the past albeit the recent past.

In response to your argument. I have experience of sorts with this and I can say that if the test is a couple of days old your bloodwork may have already changed, as happened to me resulting in my last transfusion. The first test showed everything was fine, at the doctors office I was lethargic and a retest showed a very low red cell count, basically I was a quart low and now in need of a blood transfusion.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

Upon further examination: Both A and B are incorrect. B)

I had a blood test done last week. The results came back today, which shows I am OK and healthy.

We need to throw in an "a" after had. :D Also threw in an "s after result. Just for chits and giggles.

Edited by IluvmyLi (see edit history)