Another question for the united ones

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DavidZixuan - Yes, this is a real topic. I am not intersted in keeping her out of the cabinets, only helping her learn English names for cleaning products with labels she may not be able to read or products she may not be accustomed to.

I am not sure where the telephone call comment came from but I use OneSuite for calling China so 3 or 4 cents per minute isn't an issue, besides Zhen is very frugal and has stated she would prefer to use Yahoo messenger and Webcam to talk to relatives because it is free.

Coming from where we are now, yes, this post can sound silly. Yet, when I was in waiting and planning and had days to think of everything and trying to make sure that I had all the bases covered, I posted many a question that, looking back, make me wonder; What was I thinking?

I remember wondering if she knew of proper kitchen use and food preparation, like handling chicken so that we didn't end up with saminella. And, yes, would she know what the cleaning products were...

Although Leiqin was here for years and I didn't need to worry about those things with her, too much. She might as well have just got off the boat from being completely isolated in the Chinese community. Yet, having a network of other Chinese ladies helped her learn what was what in the ways of American products.

Don't worry so much Patrick. She's smarter than you think. If she don't know, she'll ask. You'll show her once and never need to tell her again. Also, hooking her up with a network of Chinese women who are already here will help her learn and adjust to those little things that concern you. You can't be responsible for everything...or can you? :ph34r:

I didn't address it. Well, at least not in the traditional way. I asked if she wanted labels. she said "No, if I want something I'll ask you for it." Now, it's almost two years and she's still asking. Doesn't bother her a bit, as in 'Lao gong, go get me the .........fill in the blank.'

Some other things are as, or more, dangerous. Electric power tools, (her dad, who makes furniture, did not have any) climbing up in the attic to watch me do something without me hearing her, only to find her sitting, comfortably, on the sheet rock for the ceiling, not the rafters. yikes!

Can you imagine the look if it gave way?

I would probably insult my wife if I had the book here for her. But I am going to go look for one and decide if it is good for her daughter or not. That way I can justify it.

Good idea in this thread.

Don't worry so much Patrick. She's smarter than you think. If she don't know, she'll ask. You'll show her once and never need to tell her again. Also, hooking her up with a network of Chinese women who are already here will help her learn and adjust to those little things that concern you. You can't be responsible for everything...or can you?

Too often we do not give our SOs enough credit. They are indeed much smarter than we think.....................MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!

Now I recall one of the truly killer, downright dangerous, took my breath away, examples. We were practice driving. She had just learned about 4-way stops but had not driven much yet. We approached a 4-way intersection of our small country road with a larger 4-lane roadway. My wife stopped, I was watching traffic coming, at high speed, no less, when suddenly she took off........... oh, my goodness!@! The other direction doesn't stop. Luckily the oncoming traffic could, and did, avoid us.

"But, they have to stop, right?" She said.

Point is, as noted above, you don't know what they don't know and, it could be anything. How about using a knife or a fork to get something out of the toaster while the thing is still on. Bet most of 'em never had a toaster at home in China.

Don't be paranoid, be vigilant. No, Texas guys, I'm not talking about horses and ropes.

Don't worry so much Patrick. She's smarter than you think. If she don't know, she'll ask. You'll show her once and never need to tell her again. Also, hooking her up with a network of Chinese women who are already here will help her learn and adjust to those little things that concern you. You can't be responsible for everything...or can you?

Too often we do not give our SOs enough credit. They are indeed much smarter than we think.....................MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!

Yes,but the bleach?

The bleach,on my 25 year old Levi's Jacket?

I never even trusted my own mother to wash my clothes!

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't looking for you.

She tries what she wants, asks if it concerns her and we go forward wiser after the mistakes.

More importantly why won't she use pot holders. It would have been cheaper than replacing the wok and pots with cool handled ones. Oh well that's done.

Now I recall one of the truly killer, downright dangerous, took my breath away, examples. We were practice driving. She had just learned about 4-way stops but had not driven much yet. We approached a 4-way intersection of our small country road with a larger 4-lane roadway. My wife stopped, I was watching traffic coming, at high speed, no less, when suddenly she took off........... oh, my goodness!@! The other direction doesn't stop. Luckily the oncoming traffic could, and did, avoid us.

Point is, as noted above, you don't know what they don't know and, it could be anything. How about using a knife or a fork to get something out of the toaster while the thing is still on. Bet most of 'em never had a toaster at home in China.

Don't be paranoid, be vigilant. No, Texas guys, I'm not talking about horses and ropes.

This is what I FEAR, FEAR, FEAR about my wife coming here. She has pulled out from being paralel parked in front of the grade school right into the lane with 2 teenage girls, speeding, talking, radio blaring, and cell phone going. Her comment when I blew my top in fright for her, was they should be looking out for me and stoping. We had a talk, and since she has been back to China I talked to her very strong and the consequences of hurting herself and her daughter. I scared her on purpose to get through to her.

I never will forget that recent Asian arrival that got hit and killed by a train in CA where I lived. Wife and daughter gone. They just don't know.

This is what I FEAR, FEAR, FEAR about my wife coming here. She has pulled out from being paralel parked in front of the grade school right into the lane with 2 teenage girls, speeding, talking, radio blaring, and cell phone going. Her comment when I blew my top in fright for her, was they should be looking out for me and stoping. We had a talk, and since she has been back to China I talked to her very strong and the consequences of hurting herself and her daughter. I scared her on purpose to get through to her.

I never will forget that recent Asian arrival that got hit and killed by a train in CA where I lived. Wife and daughter gone. They just don't know.

Our first "close call" was while we were visiting Thailand.

In Thailand the people drive more "American style",faster.(They also drive on the wrong side of the road England style).

We were standing on the sidewalk talking with friends and my fiance just took one step backward off of the curb and in to the street and a car sped by just a couple of feet from her.

She learned right then that those lines are just not to be crossed,at least without looking first.

I have not even let the thought of her driving a car in America enter into my mind.

I live in a bicycle friendly city,so Im encouraging bikes and bus for the short trips to the market.

Its healthier,and my fiance is not against exercise.

My main concern is that she is quite short and I dont know if she is big enough to control a car or reach the pedals.

She says that she really likes the old style VW Beetle.

Maybe we can round one up easily and not too expensive.

Did they make old style VW Beetles with power steering?

Im quite attached to my 66 Dodge Dart,but my dream car is a 2 Door 1968/69 Plymouth Valiant.

Although I have no idea when Zhen will arrive, I periodically think about what preparations I might need to make prior to her arrival. Zhen frequently talks about her cleaning house after she arrives. While cleaning today it occurred to me that Zhen most likely will not be able to read the labels on the various cleaners. Even though Zhen is working hard to learn English and she seems to read better than speak, her English skills are still very limited. I thought about making adhesive labels in English and Chinese for each of the products, possibly with abbreviated warnings for like Clorox Cleanup to let her know not to get it on clothing. Or instructions on what to use the product for.

How did you (those with fiances' /wives in country address this?

Would the labels with warnings be considered helpful or taken as an insult as if I didn't think she was smart enough to figure this out on her own?

P.S. As we wait for the interview notification I suspect other points may occur to me so be preapred for more odd questions. :lol:

Rak

All I had to do was take the time to show/explain to my wife

what each bottle was use for. A few times she ask me which

bottle to use for what

We always do home chores together so there has never been

any problem

Our Chinese ladies are a lot smarter than we think

In fact I have screwed up more cloths when washing that she has!

I still have not heard the end of it and she has banned me from washing cloths.

Although I have no idea when Zhen will arrive, I periodically think about what preparations I might need to make prior to her arrival. Zhen frequently talks about her cleaning house after she arrives. While cleaning today it occurred to me that Zhen most likely will not be able to read the labels on the various cleaners. Even though Zhen is working hard to learn English and she seems to read better than speak, her English skills are still very limited. I thought about making adhesive labels in English and Chinese for each of the products, possibly with abbreviated warnings for like Clorox Cleanup to let her know not to get it on clothing. Or instructions on what to use the product for.

How did you (those with fiances' /wives in country address this?

Would the labels with warnings be considered helpful or taken as an insult as if I didn't think she was smart enough to figure this out on her own?

P.S. As we wait for the interview notification I suspect other points may occur to me so be preapred for more odd questions. :lol:

Rak

All I had to do was take the time to show/explain to my wife

what each bottle was use for. A few times she ask me which

bottle to use for what

We always do home chores together so there has never been

any problem

Our Chinese ladies are a lot smarter than we think

In fact I have screwed up more cloths when washing that she has!

I still have not heard the end of it and she has banned me from washing cloths.

I work off shifts and Zhen is always talking about cleaning house while I am at work so as to not disturb my sleep. I think I will take Threadbares' recommendation and reduce the number of choices to 3 or 4 and dispose of the rest of the specialty cleaners. Those can always be replaced later if needed.

Good Ideas.

Here is one, visit the local Barnes and Noble book store an pick up a copy of Oxford Picture Dictionary (English/Chinese) My Yu loves her's. It has pictures of most everything that may be encountered in day to day situations with description in English and Chinese.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...51898&itm=5

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/4860000/4867526.gif

Dan's recommendation about the Oxford pic dictionary is an excellent one and one I've made before. In the beginning, Lao Po found it very useful. Take the time to go out and find it Rak.

Thanks for the recommendation Dan and Jim. I've been thinking of something like this. I just ordered it.

Kinda have to side with David on this one. They are not babies and have enough sense to not need the Mr yuck symbol. I doubt seriously they would mix the bleach and ammonia together. Hell even I know better than that and I'm a dumb ass. They do smell completely different.