Tywy,

Already been to post office to send for passports for Ella and Kelly had to pay rush fee since will be leaving for Shanghai first part of June.Then a drive to Chicago to get Visa's. Really busy month.

Tine

Say Tine, if a child is under 18 years of age when their parent becomes a citizen does the child gain citizenship also?

I thought about that when I first saw your post and now my wife came in and told me she read it somewhere about a child gaining citizenship. Is that how it works? Thanks.

tywy,

Kelly became a citizen by her mother becoming a citizen. So I applied for her passport at the same time as Ella. If every thng goes well we will have their passports in two weeks. You can apply for the N-600 for a certificate of citizenship, for another fee, if you get the passport that is all you need. I am in the process of adopting Kelly at this time and she will have an Indiana birth certificate.

Tine

Thanks so much, Tine. That's definitely the way to go for anyone wanting to live in the US, especially when their Chinese passports expire. My wife and stepdaughter's passports expire tomorrow, 05/07/2007.

Now they have no way to leave the country if they had to. I've been worried about that since now you can't get Chinese passports renewed via mail.

Yep! All the more reason to become American; a shiney new U.S. passport, (in 2 weeks)!

My wife still has a year to go before applying for citizenship and her daughter is 16 and a half now. It might be pushing it some. We most definitely will find out.

Thanks again. :)

Congratulations Tine and Ella,

I know you were running a couple months behind us. Catherine got her citzenship back in Febuary. We still haven't filed for her and our sons passport USA passport yet. I plan on doing that when my passport gets within the 6 month window of expiration which will be in about 4 months. That will end up costing a pretty penny. Our daughters US passport was only a 5 year one because it was issued in China when she was only a month old. We will be getting 4 passports at once, two renewed and 2 new ones. That way they will all be good for the 10 years. We aren't planning on going back to China anyway until the summer of 2009 the year after the Olympics. That will be 7 years since we were there. It will be nice. Let me know how much Shanghai has changed when you get back.

Gale

Well the long journey with the USCIS is over. Ella became a US citizen about 11AM today along with 48 others here in Indianapolis in the Federal building. Beside her new certificate she received a letter from the President and Senator Richard Lugar. It was great. I will post some pics later.

Tine