Social Security Card

But Curt ... after she marries you she's no longer a K-1 and therefore, as some SSA offices interpret it, not longer entitled to a SSAN.

No doubt. Of course until the AOS is completed or refused she is legally still a K1......but try explaining that to your friendly local SS Agent who may be clueless......

It happens a lot. I remember here in Portland one of our members Portland Jim went to a smaller office and was turned down. I told him to go to the bigger one downtown Portland That Bing and I went to with no problems and his wife got the card but they didn't want to do it in her married name. Just goes to show you that you can get different results even in the same office depending on who you are dealing with.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Good news!...I was going to leave work early tomorrow to re-apply for Yan's SSN but after dinner she got the mail and there was a letter from the SSA addressed to her...I figured it was just a letter saying they received her info but we were denied or they needed more info or something...But no, it was a nice surprise!...It was a social security card in her married name!!... :( So we're both pretty excited right now...Another little step to celebrate...Hopefully health insurance, bank account and everything else will not be as much of a hassle now...

But must keep the celebration short because I've got to get moving on AOS now!... :wacko: Will this paperwork ever end??... :lol:

I just wanted to share the good news and thank everyone AGAIN on this site for all the help and great info!...

Jason

P.S.--I will admit this part of the process is much easier and less stressful with this wonderful woman by my side now!...

Congrats! Yes the Rochester office is easy to deal with.

You could add her to your medical insurance as soon as you were married, no SSN needed for that.

Dan

You could add her to your medical insurance as soon as you were married, no SSN needed for that.

Dan

Thanks!...This is a very big relief...I was about to fill out another application and print out all that info you gave me and try again at the office you told me to go to in Rochester...But luckily the lady at the Long Pond office entered our info into the computer system the first time we applied...From what she was telling us and the letter she gave to us it sounded like we were not going to get a card...So I started this thread to get more info but it turns out I did not have to do anything at all...I guess she just did not understand the rules but everything she did was right... :wacko:

I will begin AOS this Saturday before Yan kicks my butt for procrastinating!... :( I'll probably go to the civil surgeon you and Yu went to and get this thing sent in ASAP...

Thanks again!

Dan

What is this thing called "medical insurance"? Wo bu ming bai.

Why do you say that Curt?...Not that it is something I'm familiar with myself since I've been without it for almost seven years now...I should finally be getting it again soon along with Yan...

By the way, me and Yan were just looking at your GUZ photos in your sig and boy did it bring back memories!...After the stress of the interview I must admit, I enjoyed the next few days in GUZ!...

Dan

What is this thing called "medical insurance"? Wo bu ming bai.

Why do you say that Curt?...Not that it is something I'm familiar with myself since I've been without it for almost seven years now...I should finally be getting it again soon along with Yan...

By the way, me and Yan were just looking at your GUZ photos in your sig and boy did it bring back memories!...After the stress of the interview I must admit, I enjoyed the next few days in GUZ!...

Last time I had health insurance was when the Ford Motor Company facility in Seattle I worked for closed it's doors in 1986.

I had a stomach bug for 4 of the last 5 days we were in Guangzhou. Ling went shopping everyday with Clare's Lisa while I did my best to sleep and get better.

Dan is correct. Follow his advise. He is usually very thorough.

My wife got her first card in her new name.

I am not sure if it helped, but first we went to the DMV and had them issue an Oregon State ID in her new name. Then we visted the SSN office. We showed her K1 visa, her new ID and our marriage certificate. At first, he thought we couldn't do this just yet. He went to talked with someone else. Came back to the window and issued her card.

I have heard going to a different office will yield differing results.

We have been caught in a catch 22 here

The state DMV will issue my wife a DL in her married name , but then it's not valid because Homeland security has never updated the information sent to them

And Social security won't issue her a new card even though they are supposed to - even took the info from thier website to 3 different offices

So right now she is still using her maiden name on checking accounts

Trying to get her on my credit cards is also a hassle

THIS SYSTEM REALLY SUCKS :)