processing

I'm a bit confused as to what should be done about her last name and passport.

We will get married May 11th. She will take my last name. After that then I will get an ID for her and get her on my bank account and medical insurance. Then file for SSN with new name. But what about her passport. How will she be able to travel if her name is not the same as on passport?

Make international airline reservations in her passport name. That will cover travel. Re-entry to the US on her Green Card or AP in her married name is no problem.

Domestic airline reservations can be made in her married name if you prefer as long as she has some kind of an acceptable government picture ID (EAD, driver's lic, GC) in her married name. She could also travel domestically under her maiden name using the Chinese passport as picture ID.

Be SURE to file the I-485 for AOS in her married name despite the fact that the instructions could be interpreted that you file with the name on her visa. We made this mistake, got a GC without interview (which was where some people in the past have switched from maiden to married name) in her maiden name, despite a cover letter asking for married name, and are almost 2 months into the correction process.

Thx guys :D

So I pretty much have to correct order in which to proceed?

1. Marriage

2. I-485

3. SSN

4. Bank/ID/Medical

You got it. Sounds like a very good order.

We did SSN before I-485, so the order doesn't have to be perfect.

I have always been told SSN is easiest if done within 70 days.

Congrats on the marriage.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

In the beginning, and continuing for several months, my SO intended to keep her father's family name. Consequently, we applied for the SSN immediately after her arrival. In fact, we applied too early and had to wait several weeks for the POE computer to talk to the SSN computer.

In a few instances it was handy to already have her SSN before the 90 days were up and. Later, we talked to several couples who did not apply for the SSN within the first 75 days and were very sorry they now had to wait until the AOS process.

It was quite simple to change the SSN when she decided to adopt my family's last name. This was made easier because during the AOS interview and prior to green card being issued she was asked 'what name do you want to use?'

For us the order was- arrival, get SSN, get married, move, get State ID, receive receipt for AOS, get driver's license. Later- get g/c, change SSN, change name on driver's license, bank accounts, etc.

Thx guys :icecream:

1. Marriage

2. I-485

3. SSN

4. Bank/ID/Medical

You got it. Sounds like a very good order.

We did SSN before I-485, so the order doesn't have to be perfect.

I have always been told SSN is easiest if done within 70 days.

Congrats on the marriage.

Yes some very good info by many of you. I will go to the doctor/dentist with her and guide her through the process and to be sure she is taken care of. Basically will do for her as she did for me in China.

Edited by IluvmyLi (see edit history)

We did the SS# about 3 weeks after she got here (I think K1 has to wait at least 2 weeks before applying). We went to the SS office in Lakewood off Alameda. The day we went it was snowing so we were 2nd in line, it took about 20 minutes, was easy, and the card came a week later.

Just be sure to bring her passport with visa and I-90, and her birth cert.

The banks wont put her on until she has an id, and you cannot get an id until the I-485 is in the system......the Colorado DMV has some computer link that will tell the processer if your wife is in the USCIS system.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

Thx guys :icecream:

1. Marriage

2. I-485

3. SSN

4. Bank/ID/Medical

It has been debated here, but I believe it is safest to do the SSAN before the marriage. Then she is clearly a K1 and entitled to a card. The downside is that it will be in her maiden name. The upside is she has a number, that will never change, and that is what you want.

This then ripples to the bank in her maiden name etc. The SSAN name can be changed when she gets GC or EAD. (OR, some SSA offices might change it just based on the marriage) After the SSAN is changed you can change the bank, etc.

Some (many?) have waited until after marriage and gotten the SSAN in her married name to avoid all that changing. The issue is after marriage she is no longer a K1 and, in the eyes of some, no longer entitled to an SSAN until she has work authorization through a GC or EAD. Advocates of getting the SSAN after marriage say if one SSA office turns you down, based on the rationale above, then just go to another one and try again ... the SSA is so disorganized that eventually you can find someone to give her the SSAN after she is married.

As with many government related activities it's kind of a crap shoot ... you you bet your money and you take your chances.

We were CR-1, and we just immediately applied for her SSN in our name. Her passport still has her family name. (chinese)

She has left and entered the US without any difficutly whatsoever.

I say it really wont matter much, once you have a green card, she doesnt need to carry her passport around with her everywhere she goes.

Peace

:lol: