Weird Chinese foods

Guest knloregon

Used to be you could get fresh horse meat right on Hawthorne Blvd. here in Portland ---- late 1970's very lean, and cheep, really like elk, which is also very good...

Now I see it is all but outlawed in the US (even for pet food) --- much better to waste the (high protein) animal in a land fill I guess...

The black fowl are called Silkies, and the ones I have had in China are best in soup (yes the black holds up to boiling) ---otherwise, its kind f tough... Full flavored chicken taste....

When I'm in the Canton area I often stay with family in Foshan, and Fei's sister, who is an accomplished Cantonese cook usually trys to cook something special for me.

I wish she wouldn't.

Last time, it was (fine) chopped frog stew. I'm ok with frogs legs, but a spoon full containing a thick broth with half a frog's head, (one pearl white eye) and lots of sharp bone shards....... a Cantonese dish too far.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugs in a dumpling. My son ate a bug and silk worm direct. 3 pic series for proof available on request.

Dog in soup.

Turtle

Sucked a goose head.

Snake

I think frog, can't remember. Some others, but forgot. What I thought was grass was the green part of chives.

All from business trips where they threw it at me.

It looked like vegetable soup, it smelled like vegetable soup and it tasted pretty good. I had two bowls before the meal was over. Then they brought out the pot of soup so everyone can finish what was left at the bottom. And there they were, scorpions and centipedes.

She said I turned kind of green and I didn't eat for the rest of the day. :D

The silk worms were pretty good. 1 SW = 4 eggs in protien content. Ate 12 before I moved on to next dish.

Horse stomach. :P :eatyum: Oh yeah baby! A little spicy but Haochi!!!

Grilled Kidney. Great with pijiu

The "complete" chicken soup was good. Including the head.

Fish eyes........tried it, moving on.

Snails. Yep, but the small ones. I think I was still hungry after eating 100 of them. Spent more time and energy trying to get them out of the shell than they were providing me.

Fried Shrimp. The "whole" thing.

Squid on a stick. Yummy!! :licklips: Grilled and tentacles flailing.

I think it's spelled- Yueyian? The big spiky stinky fruit??? That was the nastiest tasting thing I tried. Asians just love it. It's expensive they say, I wouldn't give a clump of dirt for it. Yuk!!!

Clams :licklips: , Wasabi :yikes: , Pijiu :beer: , and SO's good family with a sense of humor. No matter if you can't speak each other's language! Just try it it with your mouth closed and let the laughter begin! :roller:

As Omnivores humans can eat about anything. So what makes it weird? Your experience and perception that is all.

Most items named I have had but really wouldn't call them weird. Most of them I have had in the U.S.

Frogs, snakes, rabbit, snails, sea cucumber, eel, live shrimp, dog, horse, whale, silk worm pupae, fermented and dried fish innards, pug intestine, diniguan, and much more. Some I like and would repeat others I don't and would rather avoid.

I mostly eat vegetables with a bit of meat. Perhaps the thing I most avoid is chodofu. I can't get enough of pitan or Japanese natto.

The silk worms were pretty good. 1 SW = 4 eggs in protien content. Ate 12 before I moved on to next dish.

Horse stomach. :P :eatyum: Oh yeah baby! A little spicy but Haochi!!!

Grilled Kidney. Great with pijiu

The "complete" chicken soup was good. Including the head.

Fish eyes........tried it, moving on.

Snails. Yep, but the small ones. I think I was still hungry after eating 100 of them. Spent more time and energy trying to get them out of the shell than they were providing me.

Fried Shrimp. The "whole" thing.

Squid on a stick. Yummy!! :licklips: Grilled and tentacles flailing.

I think it's spelled- Yueyian? The big spiky stinky fruit??? That was the nastiest tasting thing I tried. Asians just love it. It's expensive they say, I wouldn't give a clump of dirt for it. Yuk!!!

Clams :licklips: , Wasabi :yikes: , Pijiu :beer: , and SO's good family with a sense of humor. No matter if you can't speak each other's language! Just try it it with your mouth closed and let the laughter begin! :roller:

Well the next time you are offered a Durian save it for me. I regularly must go to the Vietnamese market for my fix. The scent makes me hungry knowing how good it tastes.

I vote for Durian also... :P Delicious... :eatyum:

Pig intestines, congealed pig blood...

Snake meat and snake skin (the skin is very, VERY chewy)

Silkworms...had 'em twice and I liked 'em... :yikes:

Turtle...Don't like it, too many bones and then I got the foot one time and had to chew it right down to the little claws... :roller:

Eel...too bony

Snails...Had it in laopo's hometown, half very tiny snails and half hot peppers... :P ...she ate a million of 'em, I had maybe 20... :licklips:

Chao dofu..."stinking tofu"...anything "cooked" with a blowtorch can't be too good... :licklips:

Baby pigeon...delicious... :beer:

Back in ¡¯96 when we were visiting Guangzhou, we visited a live animal market not far from some tourist hotels. The guide would not admit it existence. We only found it through the lonely planet guidebook. You could buy any live animal available, birds, snakes, small deer, frogs, etc. Monkeys had already been banned and I understand now dogs are no longer allowed because of their multibillion-dollar business in pet products with the US. The strangest thing I saw were baskets of little toads. For the life of me I could not imagine a dish with little toads, maybe a soup I guess.

I tried some of the giant fried waterbugs, which were ok. You had to make sure you took off the legs, wings and head or it would feel like you had a wad of cellophane in your mouth. You see most of these weird foods in Southern China.

The weirdest dish I have seen was in a restaurant near the Vietnamese border. The inside resembled a pet store. The table next to me ordered the fruit bat. The live fruit bat was brought out on serving table and had its head chopped off. The blood was drained down a funnel into a bottle of wine, which the guests promptly downed.

I am not an expert on Chinese history but I have heard that some of these weird foods originated from the households of Chinese emperors. A twenty course lunch was not uncommon. Cooks had to keep dreaming up new dishes to keep meals interesting. They found new foods and attributed special and medicinal properties to their creations.

Of course China has gone through many famines so during those times you ate anything to stay alive. In such a situation, rat would be a delicacy to anyone.

Of course no thread on this topic would be complete without the...

LIVE MONKEY BRAINS... :o story

Fact or fiction???? you decide... :unsure:

http://www.maxent.org/ch/monkey_brains.html

Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle! Jie told me about that some time ago as detailed as that site states it. Her thoughts were that this type of 'meal' was common deep in the jungles in Guangdong province.

This perhaps has got to be the wierdest of all!

There is a kind of tofu that has a horrible smell. Jie loves it. When I was first exposed to it, I told her, it smells like horseshit (it really does).

She told me it was really good, and had me try it. Well, it tasted just like it smells......horseshit.

Since that time, when we go to Shanghai, she tells me she hopes she can find some good horseshit.

From Cheech and Chongs "Up in Smoke" (by memory)

"Wow man, this is some good shit. Whats it called?"

"Labrador, man"

"Labrador?"

"Yeah, Labrador. My dog ate my stash and I had to follow him around for three days with a bag before he shit it out"

There is a kind of tofu that has a horrible smell. Jie loves it. When I was first exposed to it, I told her, it smells like horseshit (it really does).

She told me it was really good, and had me try it. Well, it tasted just like it smells......horseshit.

That's chao dofu or 'stinking tofu' Ken...The stuff made with a bowtorch...Just like durian it tastes better than it smells... :unsure: :o

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

That's chao dofu Ken...The stuff made with a bowtorch...Just like durian it tastes better than it smells... :unsure: :o

If it looks like shit, smells like shit, and tastes like shit.......guess what........it is shit! :lol: