Urgent help needed

Guest rabbit

Hi everyone,

I am a CR-1 applicant. I got my immigrant visa ( a big sealed envelope ) from GZ eventually, and it is supposed not to be opened by yourself according to the instructions on the envelope. Unfortunately it was accidentally opened. Does anyone know what would be the consequence ? Should I contact GZ to get a new visa envelope or should I take chance just ignoring it ? I remembered that someone on the candle website opened their envelopes and found mistakes, but I am not sure if theirs were the same kind of visa as mine and if theirs had the same instruction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rabbit on fire

Rabbit,

It's opened now, so this leaves little to do but check to make sure everything is in order. From what you say, it says( don't open it alone.) but it doesn't say to open it with anyone special. For your sake, just say you opened it with a friend and call GZ and let them know you received it and everything is right in it.

This is just a guess, but as you say it was opened, so what else can you do.

Good luck :(

Definately notify GZ that the package has been opened. The purpose of having it sealed is to avoid problems with people tampering with the contents.

BCIS is actually the one that makes the final decision on whether you are allowed into the US. At the point of entry the agent opens the envelope and checks on the contents. Or at least they have the option of checking anything contained in there. At that point they decide whether to allow you entry or not. Under normal circumstances, when the envelope has not been tampered with, they always allow entry. However, given the worries about terrorism and faked visas (falsified documents are a particular problem from China), they could very well deny entry do to a concern that something was not right.

Don't take the chance.

Guest rabbit

Continued from above...

Because I have got no visa or stamp on my passport, just the envelope labled immigrant visa outside, is it possible that the Chinese border will open the envelope to make sure of my visa status ?

Continued from above...

Because I have got no visa or stamp on my passport, just the envelope labled immigrant visa outside, is it possible that the Chinese border will open the envelope to make sure of my visa status ?

If all you have is the sealed brown envelope, you are missing the most important part! <_< You should have also received an single sheet form, very professional looking, that was the IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION. It has your Immigration Visa number and your Alien Registration number. It should have been stapled to the outside of the brown envelope. Without that, you don't get into the US. :P

In answer to the question. No, the Chinese border check will only be your passport and possibly wanting to see the visa. There is a difference in the reason for a passport in China and in the US. The US passport is to tell the agent that you are allowed to come back into the US. The Chinese passport is intended to tell the border agent that you are allowed to leave China.

Guest rabbit

Here is the update of my opened visa envelope issue, in case other people have the same accident.

First, thanks for all the advice. I called GZ, and was suggested to bring the opened envelope back on 9-10 am any work day. At first I was worrying if I could get into the Consulate without invitation, but I had no problem. There were not many people waiting outside, and I got the resealed envelope the same day in the afternoon without extra fee. I am quite satisfied with the happy ending, though I had an extra trip.

Good luck to you all,

rabbit