One tough Chinese woman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I-35 in Dallas was held up quite a bit due to the same reason I recall. Of course eventually the gov got the land.

And we own nothing and evetually the government screws us to the ground.

:boxer:

Yes so true!! If you do own something they still find away to take it from us.

I think at time the laws are writen in pincel that way the can erase what they need and rewrite it to ther liking, Just IMO

In this country it is called Eminent Domain, mostly it is used in cases where a highway is being built that will benefit all needs to go through a parcel of land owned by a private owner. But lately there has been several cases where a developer has convinced that if the land is condemned and taken from on owner, and resold to the developer that the government would benefit from the higher taxes collected, this has happened in several states one on New London CT comes to mind.

The redevelopment program at issue in yesterday's case -- the plan of the Connecticut city of New London to turn 90 acres of waterfront land into office buildings, upscale housing, a marina and other facilities near a $300 million research center being built by pharmaceuticals giant Pfizer -- was also expected to generate hundreds of jobs and, city officials say, $680,000 in property tax revenue.

New London, with a population of about 24,000, is reeling from the 1996 closing of the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, which had employed more than 1,500 people.

But owners of 15 homes on 1.54 acres of the proposed site had refused to go. One of them, Susette Kelo, had extensively remodeled her home and wanted to stay for its view of the water. Another, Wilhelmina Dery, was born in her house in 1918 and has lived there her entire life.

The Connecticut Supreme Court upheld the city's plan, so the homeowners, represented by lawyers from the libertarian Institute for Justice, appealed the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

According to the institute, the New London plan, which the City Council approved in 2000, is typical of "eminent domain abuse," which has spawned more than 10,000 threatened or filed condemnations involving a transfer of property from one private party to another in 41 states between 1998 and 2002.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2300783_pf.html

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminent_domain

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/26/...ain575343.shtml

http://www.reason.org/eminentdomain/

Each year, I was giving up one foot, 6 inches etc... of easement to the city of Murrieta, California because of municipal development.

Started off with a nice plot of land and it was so changed by the time I sold. My great view I had really bought that house for was blocked by development.

Growing pains I guess!

My wife's friend is from Chongching and knows where that development is (She said)

House of Nails is now gone. They tore it down. They dug away more of the hill and then a tractor climbed the hill and took the house down one piece at a time.

:eatyum:

Each year, I was giving up one foot, 6 inches etc... of easement to the city of Murrieta, California because of municipal development.

Started off with a nice plot of land and it was so changed by the time I sold. My great view I had really bought that house for was blocked by development.

Growing pains I guess!

My wife's friend is from Chongching and knows where that development is (She said)

House of Nails is now gone. They tore it down. They dug away more of the hill and then a tractor climbed the hill and took the house down one piece at a time.

Relocation is a very big risk for developers nowadays in China. But soon people will realize that every one has to be reasonable. It is really more or less a money matter. As long as people abide by their agreements, I have no problem. It was a big issue in the past where government officials will clear the way for developers, reach agreements with residents and then pocket a portion of the money that was supposed to be paid to the residents. There are other incidents where the government dictated the price to be paid, with its guidelines and a developer can not pay more even if it wants to, at least not openly. That, according to the old policy will disrupt the land price. Some people though also really hold out and try to get an unreasonable price. Some even after signing the agreement and got paid go back in as squatters and demand more.

All kinds of tactics were used in the past including forcibly removing people with help of the police to resorting to setting fire on people's houses. For instance, back a few years ago in one instance the developer sent in people at night to set fire on people's house the people were killed. The government, at least in big cities like Beijing and Shanghai has since mostly stopped forced relocation.

With the passage of the new law, a lot of people will hold out and refuse to sell at a reasonable price. But then they have to realize if they demand too much, the developer will go some where else and they have to live in the delapidated building until they come to their senses.

Recently returned from Chong Qing. A very beautiful city with developments going up every where. The market and purchasing power is still quite limited compared with some other big cities. The Nail House situation will only deter developers from getting invovled in development of the old city portion. With so many new and clean land available I wonder who will touch those areas that needs re-development the most. Housing development already slowed down quite a bit after the new tax policy squeezing the average IRR of real estate development from 30-40 per cent to 15 -25 per cent if you strictly comply with the new tax policy. Restrictions on land acquistion, higher interest rates, stopping lending on land acquisition and higher taxes, all new policy put in in an attempt supposedly to decrease housing price rises will have the exact opposite effects. I think the government is really concerned about a repeat of the S&L event in China, a real concern where loans on mortages accounts for more than 60% for a lot of banks. A serious dip in the housing price will cause a major financial crisis and may lead to the bubble bursting of the Chinese economy. For me, that means another decade of delay in my retirement plan.