How Do You Set Up Computer

I have seen this discussed many times, but, it is still unclear on how to set up the keyboard to type Chinese characters. Do I have to buy a different keyboard? Do I need to buy software? Can someone please list the instructions by steps? i.e. 1. do this, 2. do this, etc. Thank you. :blink:

Got this off the internet.

How to type Chinese characters using windows XP

1. Start- control panel - regional language options - languages - details -add - Chinese (PRC) {This option is above EN (English) and Chinese (Taiwan)}- keyboard layout - O.K. - language bar - show language bar - ok. - ok

2. On the language bar, choose ¡°Microsoft pinyin IME,¡± choose ¡°full shape.¡± Then click ¡°context menu¡±, click ¡°properties¡± - ¡°prompt step by step¡±, and click ¡°word¡± - ok

3. Open Word, just type pinyin of some words, at the end of the word or phrase, press enter, the characters will be shown on the screen. If the characters are not the ones you want, choose different ones by typing the number for the character you want.

4. Please change the size of the characters to at least 20. It will be easy to see and check if the character you choose is correct.

Well, Pat, I appreciate the information. I tried it exactly like the instructions and I get nothing. It still types in English. Oh well, thanks anyway. :P

Well, Pat, I appreciate the information. I tried it exactly like the instructions and I get nothing. It still types in English. Oh well, thanks anyway. :P

Look at the lower right-hand side of your screen. Have you selected 'CH' as the input method?

Well, Pat, I appreciate the information. I tried it exactly like the instructions and I get nothing. It still types in English. Oh well, thanks anyway. :happydance:

Look at the lower right-hand side of your screen. Have you selected 'CH' as the input method?

Thanks for that tip. Now I've got it so it types Chinese characters, but I can't make heads nor tails out of it. It gets stuck on one word and I cannot get off that word unless I backspace it out. I cannot type a whole sentence. There has to be something easier than this. :happydance:

1. Start- control panel - regional language options - languages - details -add - Chinese (PRC) {This option is above EN (English) and Chinese (Taiwan)}- keyboard layout - O.K. - language bar - show language bar - ok. - ok

In step 1, what if Chinese is not an option?

Click 'Add'

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Well, Pat, I appreciate the information. I tried it exactly like the instructions and I get nothing. It still types in English. Oh well, thanks anyway. :unsure:

Thanks for that tip. Now I've got it so it types Chinese characters, but I can't make heads nor tails out of it. It gets stuck on one word and I cannot get off that word unless I backspace it out. I cannot type a whole sentence. There has to be something easier than this. :blink:

You need to be comfortable with Pinyin input for this to work. What input method were you expecting to use?

Well, Pat, I appreciate the information. I tried it exactly like the instructions and I get nothing. It still types in English. Oh well, thanks anyway. :unsure:

Thanks for that tip. Now I've got it so it types Chinese characters, but I can't make heads nor tails out of it. It gets stuck on one word and I cannot get off that word unless I backspace it out. I cannot type a whole sentence. There has to be something easier than this. :blink:

when you type the pinyin, it will pick the character it thinks you want and will put it on the sheet, but still in an edit mode of that character so you have to press ENTER to accept it and then type in the next character, or of you backspace into the character, then use the UP and DOWN arrows to move through the characters with the same pinyin...

Got this off the internet.

How to type Chinese characters using windows XP

2. On the language bar, choose “Microsoft pinyin IME,?choose “full shape.? Then click “context menu? click “properties?- “prompt step by step? and click “word?- ok

3. Open Word, just type pinyin of some words, at the end of the word or phrase, press enter, the characters will be shown on the screen. If the characters are not the ones you want, choose different ones by typing the number for the character you want.

4. Please change the size of the characters to at least 20. It will be easy to see and check if the character you choose is correct.

In step 1, what if Chinese is not an option?

make sure you check the eastern asian languages, i dont think it defaults japanese or chinese on that list

To install East Asian language files on your computer

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1. Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.

2. On the Languages tab, under Supplemental language support, select the Install files for East Asian languages check box.

3. Click OK or Apply. You will prompted to insert the Windows CD-ROM or point to a network location where the files are located.

4. After the files are installed, you must restart your computer.

Note

• To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, click Control Panel, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Regional and Language Options.

• The East Asian languages include Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. The files for most other languages are installed on your computer automatically by Windows.

I thought I had the Chinese input set up for my wife but

when she got here she said it was not good enough.

She had her sister send her a bunch of downloads from her PC

in China to get things to her satisfaction.

My advice is to set up the basic input with XP and let your

wife do the rest (install Chinese Softare) when she gets here.

You may want to get a second PC if you don't already have one as

she will slowly take it over. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Par for the course, I bought my computer in China and they installed English Window at the shop, I do not have the CD. Any suggestions?

Steve

Take at downloading these:

Language Support

IME

I checked 'em both out and, go figure, my copy of XP is not authentic. To make it so requires activeX downloads which I am hesitant to do because of associated problems I've heard about. There just ain't no end in sight :o

But, as always my friend, thanks for the advice, and hope at least one half of your Gemini psyche enjoyed the Book.

Steve

Here's a web based Chinese input system (so not needed to be setup on computer).... added step is to cut and paste, but maybe better than nothing :blink:

http://www.chinese-learner.com/tools/input...nese-system.php