Chinese vs Chinese American vs Mixed

Seeing how I have this endless wait in front of me I like to think up stuff to worry about. It is kind of like my hobby. I should really take up smoking

My ponderings have produced the following:

I wonder how well the mixed kids are accepted in China and America?

I wonder how chinese view second or third generation Chinese.

I am very surprised to read some of the message boards with Chinese Americans having a hard time with there people mixing with others.

I understand it of course(because so do whites) but it is just so different when actually over in China and they seem so supportive of it(kind of happy).

Makes me wonder how the Chinese really view me

Makes me wonder about mixed white/chinese kids being accepted.

Maybe this thing goes over better in China than America.

After talking to a Chinese american lady that had moved over here 12 years ago. I get this feeling even she is thinking, why do you travel all the way over there when there is a Chinese American lady right here in front of you.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing how I have this endless wait in front of me I like to think up stuff to worry about. It is kind of like my hobby. I should really take up smoking

I am very surprised to read some of the message boards with Chinese Americans having a hard time with there people mixing with others.

I understand it of course(because so do whites) but it is just so different when actually over in China and they seem so supportive of it(kind of happy).

After talking to a Chinese american lady that had moved over here 12 years ago. I get this feeling even she is thinking, why do you travel all the way over there when there is a Chinese American lady right here in front of you.

Gosh a lot of questions. I do not know what the real answers are but I can tell you myu feelings?

First is ther prejudice in the USA, Guess what - YES THERE IS.

But the prejudice of today is significantly reduced from 30-40 years ago. Yes there are bigots here, (and form talking to some of the women here, some women manrried some bogits). But America seems to becoming a lot more understanding then in the past.

I was born in a racially mixed city (NYC) but here in Texas I do not see it at all. In fact it is alot better. Prejudice is really nothing more then hate. But it seems to be on the decline.

Would I worry about a child who is Asian and White, no, I'd be proud of it.

Bring you r child up with love and understanding and all will be fine.

The question as to why we di dnot look to find an Asian woman here in the USA, well that is a good question. For me well, I did not find any. That does not mean they are not here, I am sure they are, but it is finding them that is hard.

Some friends here on CLF did offer to introduce me to some women who were already and who had green cards and I would have, but I was already speaking to a lady in China and did not feel that was the right thing to do. Yes it would be easier, but, what is right is right and we all have to follow our own beliefs.

As has been said to me many times, CHILL, things will work out and you and your family will do fine...

Enjoy the ride.....And Good Luck.

I have noticed that a great deal of asian women in the US who were on match.com desired a man making 100,000+ and have at least a 6 yr degree. . There are asian women here in my area but meeting someone suitable is very hard. You just don't move in the same social circle

I have noticed that a great deal of asian women in the US who were on match.com desired a man making 100,000+ and have at least a 6 yr degree. . There are asian women here in my area but meeting someone suitable is very hard. You just don't move in the same social circle

This is what I have seen also. The asian women here looking for American men want them to be financially doing well. It's not a bad thing, but those women are the ones who are just looking for the same thing that they were looking for in asia... financial stability over everything else.

For me...

I was at my end with relationships in the USA with woman here. It was all about money or material stuff and I hate that type of crap. I had a cultural mixture of woman I had the opportunity to meet, mostly good women but not for me.

I was three days away from my subscription ending on Cupid.com and I was just going to lapse out and live the rest of my life alone! :)

UNTIL...

I receive the email from Lucy... GOD ANSWERED MY PRAYER... only she was 8000 miles away... :)

Prejudice is really nothing more then hate. But it seems to be on the decline.

That's a pretty harsh generalization, Lawrence. Certainly some people who are prejudiced do hate those they prejudge as less worthy of their respect. On the other side of the spectrum there are those who simply haven't learned enough about people yet to overcome behavior they see going on around them or the natural human tendancy to be distrustful of the unknown or different. They are willing and open minded but just haven't learned yet. Then there is just about everything in between.

I think we damage our society by throwing around words like "hate" too freely. We all have our prejudices, however small and however much we don't wish to have them or how successful we are at overcoming them.

In my opinion, your statement above shows a prejudice against less informed often golden hearted people. Prejudice is not just about race. Or, perhaps you've learned something today that will help you overcome this prejudice? :rolleyes:

I was more curious about the differences amongst various types Chinese and how they feel about each other and us.

I consider a certain amount of prejudice perfectly normal otherwise the kids of rich white liberals would be going to the high schools with inner city gang bangers. Prejudice is exactly where it has always been only the expression of it has changed. It is a very overused word I agree.

I wonder why you even care.

we come to a different country all because of that magic moment, which make us fall in love.

we will have difficoulties by changing lifestyle, raising mix children, facing so called culture differences. but we have a lot of privileges too, we have loving husbands who are so caring and gentle. we have the cuties babies in the world, always get stopped by strangers on the street saying how precious they are.

i feel lucky all the time, so be it, just sit back and enjoy this short-life.

I will leave commenting upon all your other questions to others but I would like to make a few remarks on this one.

Many times, Asian cultures are pretty similar--at least as compared to western cultures--but on this aspect, the Chinese are distinctively different than the Japanese or Koreans. Both Japan and Korea think of Japanese Americans and Korean Americans respectively as not Japanese or Koreans. Generally speaking, they think less of them. You can read numerous articles on the plight of war babies (American GI sired children in Korea) and how they are generally shunned in Korea. Japan and Korea both think of ethnic Japanese and Koreans born abroad as outsiders, not true Japanese or Koreans.

On the other hand, the Chinese generally consider all ethnic Chinese to be Chinese. They mostly embrace all ethnic Chinese people as Chinese and will forever think of them as Chinese, no matter if the Chinese is a Chinese American, Chinese Canadian or Chinese French. This is a distinctive difference between China and Japan/Korea. Even if the Chinese American is born in the US, if the person goes back to China for a visit, the Chinese people will consider this American as Chinese because that Chinese American is Chinese by blood and ethnicity.

When I say Chinese above, I mean the culture and the people, not the Chinese government. Obviously the Chinese government doesn't consider Chinese Americans born in the US to be Chinese nationals.

Of course this is a generalization. There will be some who may disagree, but this definitely holds true as a broad generalization.

That's a pretty harsh generalization, Lawrence. Certainly some people who are prejudiced do hate those they prejudge as less worthy of their respect. On the other side of the spectrum there are those who simply haven't learned enough about people yet to overcome behavior they see going on around them or the natural human tendancy to be distrustful of the unknown or different. They are willing and open minded but just haven't learned yet. Then there is just about everything in between.

I think we damage our society by throwing around words like "hate" too freely. We all have our prejudices, however small and however much we don't wish to have them or how successful we are at overcoming them.

In my opinion, your statement above shows a prejudice against less informed often golden hearted people. Prejudice is not just about race. Or, perhaps you've learned something today that will help you overcome this prejudice? :)

Duke, maybe I am wrong but people are not born being prejudice, they are taught it, whether by their parents or friends. But ifyou read up on prejudice it is not that some has not learned to be understanding, but rather they have been taught to feel this way.

I have read many texts on prejudice and everything I have read says that prejudice is learned. So I do not see how you can saw what you do.

In my opinion, your statement above shows a prejudice against less informed often golden hearted people. Prejudice is not just about race. Or, perhaps you've learned something today that will help you overcome this prejudice? :)

Duke, maybe I am wrong but people are not born being prejudice, they are taught it, whether by their parents or friends. But ifyou read up on prejudice it is not that some has not learned to be understanding, but rather they have been taught to feel this way.

I have read many texts on prejudice and everything I have read says that prejudice is learned. So I do not see how you can saw what you do.

Your reference to "hate" is what I called harsh. If you had said prejudice was learned and left it at that, I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

Of course prejudice is a learned behavior. It is a "behavior", sometimes thought, sometimes action and sometimes both. Small children learn without judgment about what they learn. Later in life a child or adult can become better informed, use more mature judgment and change their behavior. Learning doesn't stop for most people.

That's how I can say what I say. I also believe those who hold prejudice against people who haven't yet learned things can themselves learn enough to overcome THIS prejudice. That's where you come in.

Not all prejudice is about race and its not all hate. Some is. Some isn't.

Your reference to "hate" is what I called harsh. If you had said prejudice was learned and left it at that, I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

Of course prejudice is a learned behavior. It is a "behavior", sometimes thought, sometimes action and sometimes both. Small children learn without judgment about what they learn. Later in life a child or adult can become better informed, use more mature judgment and change their behavior. Learning doesn't stop for most people.

That's how I can say what I say. I also believe those who hold prejudice against people who haven't yet learned things can themselves learn enough to overcome THIS prejudice. That's where you come in.

Not all prejudice is about race and its not all hate. Some is. Some isn't.

Well we can agree in that.

I will leave commenting upon all your other questions to others but I would like to make a few remarks on this one.

Many times, Asian cultures are pretty similar--at least as compared to western cultures--but on this aspect, the Chinese are distinctively different than the Japanese or Koreans. Both Japan and Korea think of Japanese Americans and Korean Americans respectively as not Japanese or Koreans. Generally speaking, they think less of them. You can read numerous articles on the plight of war babies (American GI sired children in Korea) and how they are generally shunned in Korea. Japan and Korea both think of ethnic Japanese and Koreans born abroad as outsiders, not true Japanese or Koreans.

On the other hand, the Chinese generally consider all ethnic Chinese to be Chinese. They mostly embrace all ethnic Chinese people as Chinese and will forever think of them as Chinese, no matter if the Chinese is a Chinese American, Chinese Canadian or Chinese French. This is a distinctive difference between China and Japan/Korea. Even if the Chinese American is born in the US, if the person goes back to China for a visit, the Chinese people will consider this American as Chinese because that Chinese American is Chinese by blood and ethnicity.

When I say Chinese above, I mean the culture and the people, not the Chinese government. Obviously the Chinese government doesn't consider Chinese Americans born in the US to be Chinese nationals.

Of course this is a generalization. There will be some who may disagree, but this definitely holds true as a broad generalization.

I tend you agree with your generalization here. But I still think Chinese in mainland China may still think differently of Chinese from HK, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, or Western World (North America and Europe). People's behaviors will likely determine how they will be perceived. Chinese from different parts of the world may still behave slightly differently. For example, if a Chinese American visiting China behaves just like a local, then there would be no difference.

I tend you agree with your generalization here. But I still think Chinese in mainland China may still think differently of Chinese from HK, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, or Western World (North America and Europe). People's behaviors will likely determine how they will be perceived. Chinese from different parts of the world may still behave slightly differently. For example, if a Chinese American visiting China behaves just like a local, then there would be no difference.

A Chinese's location will likely determine how they are embraced.

I agree with the generalization as well.. but recognize that for those in mainland china, they will maybe never leave their country and will possibly have a slightly different attitude on some level... those that get to the US (or are in the US) will likely have a more 'open door' policy... (pragmatic survivalist mode)... I've seen this open door; generally it is open to ethnic chinese and also closes quickly in some circumstance.