Western food

Ooopps....

I think it might be off to the culture discussion.

Jie has this same "pre-determined" notion about "Western Food."

She does not eat many things because she will get fat, well this is the answer I get. :huh:

She is not here yet, a few more weeks. ;)

But, in many cases I have taken my co-workers from Shanghai to eat at many homecooked resturants they say, "this like China food, I like."

This is Southern Food, or Soul food. "Cheap it is," and very different from main stream resturants in the US. My friends are from various locals in China, they usually stay for 3-4 weeks at a time, and we frequent the same place often at their request. :rolleyes:

Make them Fat? Maybe? :lol:

No problem,

Lao po can cook her greens, I will cook my "ro". :D

(meat) ;)

Are you talking there or here? I am curious what they liked? Can you elaborate?

PS: I see some sorta new folks. Welcome to CFL. Hope your journey is smooth.

Here. We have co-workers come to McKinney often. Since I speak "slower," :lol: and have "Chinese Wife" I get "detail." Company paid. :) Usually get great seats at the games too. B-Ball, Hockey, Fooseball.

Anyway,

Ribs, neck bones, ox tail, greens, "East Texas" hot links (Pittsburg certainly) :rolleyes: , fried taters, green beans, pork chops, cabbage, cornbread, and pigs feet. Didn't have a chance to try hog mals, or chittlins, but I bet they would have been liked as well. Cajun/Creole food goes well with the ones who like it spicy. Red beans and rice with seafood, mud bugs, ettoufee, hit it with Tabasco. Mmmmmm-Mmmmm. ;)

Just good ole Texas BBQ is a favorite too! :D .

Tex-Mex, so-so. There is not many true Mexi-resturants here in Mckinney. I did see flour tortillas in China, well they were steamed. Jie makes them. I need to teach her how to make vinison tamals. ;)

Now, pizza, fried chicken, and hamburgers?, they have no interest in usually, they can get that in Shanghai :P

Now you've got me hungry. My Step_Mom was from east Texas and she could cook, and so could her mother, who came over often enough. I will keep this list in mind. I will definatly have to take my bride to LA (Louisianna) and let her eat food that is the only food as good as good Chinese, in my book. Maybe I need to go to NASA down there more often :D

Do you mind naming some resturaunts and locations or aprox locations, I can look up from there. I may have a group of Chinese to entertain since my wife is bringing 50-100 students with her :Dah: Maybe if I entertain them well enough, my indescretions will be over looked.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dern Carl, out of all the Texans here, I'd put your home on the top of my visit list, after reading that post.

I don't need no invite do I? :D I'd give you a weeks notice, so that Ying can be well prepared. You lucky bugger. :D

Well when and if you ever do come out our way, bring your SO with you. Ying loves to pass on her newfound skills and then you can enjoy the same good foods that I do, American dishes with a Chinese twist.

[As a lover of Mexican food, I wonder how a taco or burrito stand would do in China !!?? :D

I still have not been able to locate a Mexican restaurant in Guangzhou.

You know that gives me an idea. Wife's brother was looking for some kind of American food resturaunt to open. Tex-Mex would be perfect, maybe.

Years ago, many Chinese, primarily from Canton, immigrated to Mexico. Many of them opened restaurants. I have eaten at a couple of these eateries, one in Hermosillo, Sonora State, and another in the border town of Mexicali. I remember the name of the one in Mexicali as something like ¡°La Missione¡± ??

Both of them were fantastic; a dynamic mix of the Chinese and Mexican schools of cooking, in which every dish was spicy and superb !!!

It is truly interesting to see and hear a very ethnic looking Chinese man or woman, speaking perfect Spanish !! If any of you border folks get a chance to eat at one of these Chi-Mex restaurants, please try it, you won¡¯t be disappointed !!

I don't know what to expect when my wife comes. My step-son will love american food I think... that boy can eat.

My wife eats very little meat. I would like her to put on a few pounds, I think she did since I last was with her. Sh always threatens to lose the extra weight, I like th extra weight on her.

We went to a a few american resturant when I was in Beihai. KFC(she didn't like, her son did), Pizza Hut in Nanning was ok for her. there was a resturant in Beihai that sold American food, I really wanted to go there, so we did. She told me it was expensive and she was right and the food was horrible.

She makes dumplings I know, but she doesn't cook, her mother does all of the cooking for lunch and dinner. Her mom cooks very good, I only ate there once.

I'm a very good cook. I wil cook most things from Macaroni and cheese to Oven Fried chicken to Lasagne.

This year I have been trying to limit my cooking as I want to lose weight this year. I have no idea what she will accept when she is her. My son doesn't eat chinese food, so that maybe a reason I don't take him to china one day, he is a very picky eater. I love chinese food, so eating a lot of chinese won't be a problem for me, I want to make her very comfortable.

I go to the Asian markets alot now, so it will be very familar for me when she is here.