DVD MOVIES

So what Chinese DVD movies do you all recommend? Any in Chinese with english subtitles???

I am taking Mandarin lessons and listening to the language can only help.

Plus a little culture can't hurt (too much)!!! :) :D :D

My favorites (not necessarily in order):

The Road Home :: Romance

Da Jie (´ó½ã) :: Romance, culture, TV Drama Series,Chinese subtitles only

The Jasmine Women :: Romance

Together :: Culture, Father/son bond

To Live :: Culture

Hero :: Action, available with Chinese subtitles

Fearless :: Action, culture, a little romance

Fist of Legend :: Action

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon :: Action, Romance

Warriors of Heaven and Earth :: Action

Eat Drink Man and Woman :: Romance

The Wedding Banquet :: Romance, comedy

j¨©q¨ªng r¨¢nsh¨¡o de su¨¬yu¨¨ (¼¤ÇéȼÉÕµÄËêÔÂ) :: Romance, long marriage into old age, TV Series, Chinese subtitles

k¨¤oj¨¬n n¨« w¨¥nnu¨£n w¨¯ (¿¿½üÄã.ÎÂůÎÒ) :: Romance, TV Series, Chinese subtitles

I recommend TV Series, because they have lots of different domestic and workplace situations using contemporary language among family members and couples. "Together" is a good example of a movie with those elements.

Chines subtitles are good for learning new vocabulary, after you move beyond the basics.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what Chinese DVD movies do you all recommend? Any in Chinese with english subtitles???

Plus a little culture can't hurt (too much)!!! :) :D :D

j¨©q¨ªng r¨¢nsh¨¡o de su¨¬yu¨¨ (¼¤ÇéȼÉÕµÄËêÔÂ) :: Romance, long marriage into old age, TV Series, Chinese subtitles

k¨¤oj¨¬n n¨« w¨¥nnu¨£n w¨¯ (¿¿½üÄã.ÎÂůÎÒ) :: Romance, TV Series, Chinese subtitles

I recommend TV Series, because they have lots of different domestic and workplace situations using contemporary language among family members and couples. "Together" is a good example of a movie with those elements.

Chines subtitles are good for learning new vocabulary, after you move beyond the basics.

So these are in Mandarin with English subtitles if I want. I am looking to practice and leanrmore about the culture also and find movies that Nicole may like.

Where did you buy these?????

Plus a little culture can't hurt (too much)!!! :D :D :D

So these are in Mandarin with English subtitles if I want. I am looking to practice and leanrmore about the culture also and find movies that Nicole may like.

There's the rub; sometimes you may not be able to get both subtitles. Hero, for example, is available in both; Fearless though, I've only been able to find in one or the other.

Generally, if you buy from a domestic supplier (I normally use Amazon.com for most general DVDs), you get US releases with English subtitles. Some DVDs come with multiple subtitles (Hero comes with Traditional, Simplified, etc.)

The TV series were produced for Mainland China audiences, so come with only Simplified Chinese subtitles.

Unfortunately, some movies (older titles) might come with no subtitles; such as the classics "Dream of the Red Chamber (ºìÂ¥ÃÎ)" and "Journey to the West (Î÷ÓμÇ)". I basically can't (yet) watch those, because I depend on Simplified Chinese subtitles to follow along. (I have a hard time with Traditional Chinese).

While in the US. I usually buy from YesAsia.com, so that I can get Mainland releases with at least Chinese subtitles. The listings usually tell what languages and subtitles. YesAsia lets you browse in English, Simplified or Traditional Chinese, or Japanese (maybe Korean?).

I've bought some in China. Once I'd planned a trip or already there, I'll make a list, then my wife takes me to the video or better book stores to find what I have listed. She bargains for the prices, and of course I've saved on shipping. ;) I've bought at least one of my TV dramas in Houston, at a book store on Bellaire Blvd.

To obtain Chinese subtitles for US releases, I search on http://bt.shooter.cn/. Unfortunately for many, the site is only in Simplified Chinese. From there, I've downloaded subtitles for Together, CrouchingTigerHiddenDragon, etc.

By the way, I have a region-free DVD player that can play PAL source. The problem with my player, ironically, is that even though it can read subtitle files on a disk with a video source such as .avi, it doesn't support Chinese text. :)

Plus a little culture can't hurt (too much)!!! :D :D :o

There's the rub; sometimes you may not be able to get both subtitles. Hero, for example, is available in both; Fearless though, I've only been able to find in one or the other.

Generally, if you buy from a domestic supplier (I normally use Amazon.com for most general DVDs), you get US releases with English subtitles. Some DVDs come with multiple subtitles (Hero comes with Traditional, Simplified, etc.)

The TV series were produced for Mainland China audiences, so come with only Simplified Chinese subtitles.

Unfortunately, some movies (older titles) might come with no subtitles; such as the classics "Dream of the Red Chamber (ºìÂ¥ÃÎ)" and "Journey to the West (Î÷ÓμÇ)". I basically can't (yet) watch those, because I depend on Simplified Chinese subtitles to follow along. (I have a hard time with Traditional Chinese).

While in the US. I usually buy from YesAsia.com, so that I can get Mainland releases with at least Chinese subtitles. The listings usually tell what languages and subtitles. YesAsia lets you browse in English, Simplified or Traditional Chinese, or Japanese (maybe Korean?).

I've bought some in China. Once I'd planned a trip or already there, I'll make a list, then my wife takes me to the video or better book stores to find what I have listed. She bargains for the prices, and of course I've saved on shipping. B) I've bought at least one of my TV dramas in Houston, at a book store on Bellaire Blvd.

To obtain Chinese subtitles for US releases, I search on http://bt.shooter.cn/. Unfortunately for many, the site is only in Simplified Chinese. From there, I've downloaded subtitles for Together, CrouchingTigerHiddenDragon, etc.

By the way, I have a region-free DVD player that can play PAL source. The problem with my player, ironically, is that even though it can read subtitle files on a disk with a video source such as .avi, it doesn't support Chinese text. :D

I am more interested in Mandarin spoken and english subtitles so I and listen to the words and see the english translation.

I am more interested in Mandarin spoken and english subtitles so I and listen to the words and see the english translation.

There are plenty of movies available for you that way; and can be bought in US releases; Mandarin language with English subtitles.

But there are some problems:

1. Mandarin syntax is very different from English; often what's being said is reversed, might even have different parts of a sentence in different frames of video, the English and Mandarin parts of sentence can be in different frames. Without some basics and glossary, difficult to pick up much.
  2. Many times, the translation is far from literal; the English translation could be saying a totally different phrase from the Mandarin; so they don't associate. (I studied Japanese for some years, and I had lots of fun pointing out how subtitles were different from the spoken dialog; really funny sometimes once your listening comprehension is far enough along.)
  3. Some "period" movies (for example CrouchingTigerHiddenDragon) use archaic speech. Sometimes following along with both the English subtitles and holding the Chinese text in hand, I had a hard time finding some Chinese words in the dictionary, because they're not used in modern speech. Of course, there are many western movies with the same sort of challenge for a new speaker of English.

Back to your original quest; most of my US releases of Mandarin language with English subtitled movies, I bought on Amazon. On the information pages, you can check for the language and subtitle options.

More importantly, there's a category search; look for "Art House and International", then by "Original Language". Then amongst the titles offered, check each DVDs page for whether the original language is Mandarin or Cantonese. Sometimes both are available, and including English subtitles.

There are plenty of movies available for you that way; and can be bought in US releases; Mandarin language with English subtitles.

But there are some problems:

1. Mandarin syntax is very different from English; often what's being said is reversed, might even have different parts of a sentence in different frames of video, the English and Mandarin parts of sentence can be in different frames. Without some basics and glossary, difficult to pick up much.
  2. Many times, the translation is far from literal; the English translation could be saying a totally different phrase from the Mandarin; so they don't associate. (I studied Japanese for some years, and I had lots of fun pointing out how subtitles were different from the spoken dialog; really funny sometimes once your listening comprehension is far enough along.)
  3. Some "period" movies (for example CrouchingTigerHiddenDragon) use archaic speech. Sometimes following along with both the English subtitles and holding the Chinese text in hand, I had a hard time finding some Chinese words in the dictionary, because they're not used in modern speech. Of course, there are many western movies with the same sort of challenge for a new speaker of English.

Back to your original quest; most of my US releases of Mandarin language with English subtitled movies, I bought on Amazon. On the information pages, you can check for the language and subtitle options.

More importantly, there's a category search; look for "Art House and International", then by "Original Language". Then amongst the titles offered, check each DVDs page for whether the original language is Mandarin or Cantonese. Sometimes both are available, and including English subtitles.

I look forward to our meeting.

Lawrence

http://us.yesasia.com/en/Browse/BrowseFron...on-all/did-157/

Chinese TV series with English Subtitles.

I bought 1983 TVB version of Legend of the Condor Heroes last August, watched it w/my husband, we really enjoyed it, so when the new release of The Duke of Mount Deer came out, we ordered it. It is a little pricy but really worth the money.

we bought the same 1983 series in china... when in china, I spend as much time as needed to find movies as I will never find them as cheap again.

When back in the states, on word: EBAY.

I've built most of my collection carefully ordering multiple orders from those who give discounts...

I guess my question is, "What are the classics and love stories"?

I wanted to start picking up some DVD's that Nicole might enjoy and that would be comforting to her.

Great minds think alike! I was thinking about taking some DVD's to China next March or April