Green tea

Hey DMIKE perhaps you know something about the night tea that I mentioned earlier. My wife says that every few years, peasants climb Mt Lushan and get tea from the native trees and then come into the city of Jiujiang to sell it. She says this is the only place in china that has this. I boil it with the water and another fragrant herb she gives to me, drink it, and 15 minutes later I am asleep. I waske up feeling very refreshed. She says it flushes bad things from the body. She must be right. As soon as I wake up then it's to the bathroom :P

It's 2:44 p.m. here on the West Coast, so Lao Po is asleep, but I can ask her tonight when she wakes up. Oooops! Better make that AFTER the UFC title fight!!

Maybe it's Ku Ding? Ku Ding isn't tea in that it doesn't come from the Camellia Senensis plant, but it is consumed as tea in China. It has no caffeine and it is very bitter (I think Ku Ding means "bitter crown" but Lao Po doesn't seem to think this is an accurate translation). It also has a reputation for being a very healthful drink as it is claimed to flush toxins from the body. Not to be indelicate, but if the result of your trip to the can is a almost flourescent green liquid (hopefully we're discussing Number 1, although I've seen the same with Number 2 :unsure: ) you are probably drinking Ku Ding. I love it and I would believe anything I was told about it. We can learn a lot about such things from Chinese culture.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing on a hot sunny day :unsure:

'cept it's freezing here....just got back from my evening walk.

Yeah, I thought there might have been a fishing expedition going on too. But I wasn't being asked about Psilcybin or, 'shrooms, so I wasn't sure.

But as a preemptive counter (just in case), I have never used any halucinogenic nor have I ever been intoxicated. I do drink maybe a six-pack a year and I don't care for the taste of wine. Mountain Dew or water tastes much better.

:P Mountain Dew sends me over the edge.........Green tea is muchhhhhhhhhh more pleasant......No aftershocks.

Interesting....there's more caffeine in tea than the Dew. If I need to stay awake I'll drink some Snapple Tea. I can drink a Dew and go right to sleep. But I've mostly given up the Dew because of the sugar and I won't touch aspartame--that stuff is damn nasty. I read a bunch of studies on that stuff that were done before FDA approval was granted. At the original doses that were at first deemed safe, something like 40% of the subjects suffered grand mal seizures and 16% died (among other problems). So did the FDA ban the stuff? No they just said, "lower the concentration". Were they factoring in a 128oz. Super Gulp when they made that decision? No thanks.

I predict that consumption of high-fructose corn syrup will one day be implicated as a high-risk factor in the development of diabetes.

;) I predict that this is a pretty easy prediction to make and that you are right. I used to drink one can per day. But now I only have one each week with the sandwich I buy at Quiznos (that's where I meet my tutor for my Mandarin lesson). After my divorce 9 years ago I also got rid of salt and sugar from my house. The food tastes just as good once you get used to it tasting different and my family has a history of hypertension and diabetes--no sense taking unnecessary chances. Ling is putting an awful lot of trust in me. The least I can do is try to stay as healthy as I can for her.

p.s. Did you know that unsalted, unbuttered popcorn actually tastes like corn? :P

so I wonder if you have not read that more octogenarians take a shot or have a glass or two of beer or wine each night?

Dennis, I agree on the glass of wine a day but I've only seen one study which claim drinking alcohol of any kind will improve the longevity of a person's life. The vast majority of studies all point to mostly red wine as helpful. Hard alcohol and beer have no helpful affects in almost all the studies. If you have studies which show otherwise, can you post some links? I'd love to read those studies.

DMikeS4321 wrote:

One interesting point I've discovered; it seems that gum disease is almost unheard of in China and a big factor seems to be the high consumption of green tea (it's a low intensity disinfectant in that it creates an environment unhospitable to germs). Our medical establishment is just now looking at the relationship between gum disease and heart disease.

Really? I'm no tea expert or dentist, but empirical evidence of the teeth of Chinese elders (who actually have drink tea all their lives) would suggest otherwise. Most people of retirement age have mostly lost all their teeth. Many Chinese people even in their 50's have lost a lot of their teeth as well. Gum disease, IMO, is notorious in China. Dental hygiene is China is close to non-existent. They don't floss and they don't use any mouthwash. I hope what you state about green tea is indeed true. Then it should be helpful for the Chinese since they drink green tea like Americans drink coffee or cola, but empirical evidence doesn't seem to support that hypothesis regarding green tea helping to prevent gum disease.

On an entirely different matter, there is a great Chinese movie called Green Tea, starring Vicky Zhou (or Zhou Wei, her Chinese name). Anyone seen it? I love this movie. One of my favorite movies about modern Chinese life.

Hey DMIKE perhaps you know something about the night tea that I mentioned earlier. My wife says that every few years, peasants climb Mt Lushan and get tea from the native trees and then come into the city of Jiujiang to sell it. She says this is the only place in china that has this. I boil it with the water and another fragrant herb she gives to me, drink it, and 15 minutes later I am asleep. I waske up feeling very refreshed. She says it flushes bad things from the body. She must be right. As soon as I wake up then it's to the bathroom :P

It's 2:44 p.m. here on the West Coast, so Lao Po is asleep, but I can ask her tonight when she wakes up. Oooops! Better make that AFTER the UFC title fight!!

Maybe it's Ku Ding? Ku Ding isn't tea in that it doesn't come from the Camellia Senensis plant, but it is consumed as tea in China. It has no caffeine and it is very bitter (I think Ku Ding means "bitter crown" but Lao Po doesn't seem to think this is an accurate translation). It also has a reputation for being a very healthful drink as it is claimed to flush toxins from the body. Not to be indelicate, but if the result of your trip to the can is a almost flourescent green liquid (hopefully we're discussing Number 1, although I've seen the same with Number 2 :unsure: ) you are probably drinking Ku Ding. I love it and I would believe anything I was told about it. We can learn a lot about such things from Chinese culture.

The night tea I have is not Ku Ding. I have some Ku Ding here. And yes it is veryyyyyyyyyy bitter. I am trying to find out if the night tea that I have has a name.

so I wonder if you have not read that more octogenarians take a shot or have a glass or two of beer or wine each night?

Dennis, I agree on the glass of wine a day but I've only seen one study which claim drinking alcohol of any kind will improve the longevity of a person's life. The vast majority of studies all point to mostly red wine as helpful. Hard alcohol and beer have no helpful affects in almost all the studies. If you have studies which show otherwise, can you post some links? I'd love to read those studies.

The internet is loaded with discussions on the pros and cons of the benefits or lack thereof on alcohol.

Here's one from the Harvard School of Public Health:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol.html

Moderate drinking seems to be good for the heart and circulatory system, and probably protects against type 2 diabetes and gallstones. Heavy drinking is a major cause of preventable death in most countries.

Problem is the amount consumed. For sure, the greater harm alcohol does to society outweigh any tea totlers imbibing.

Hey DMIKE perhaps you know something about the night tea that I mentioned earlier. My wife says that every few years, peasants climb Mt Lushan and get tea from the native trees and then come into the city of Jiujiang to sell it. She says this is the only place in china that has this. I boil it with the water and another fragrant herb she gives to me, drink it, and 15 minutes later I am asleep. I waske up feeling very refreshed. She says it flushes bad things from the body. She must be right. As soon as I wake up then it's to the bathroom :D

Maybe it's Ku Ding? Ku Ding isn't tea in that it doesn't come from the Camellia Senensis plant, but it is consumed as tea in China. It has no caffeine and it is very bitter (I think Ku Ding means "bitter crown" but Lao Po doesn't seem to think this is an accurate translation). It also has a reputation for being a very healthful drink as it is claimed to flush toxins from the body. Not to be indelicate, but if the result of your trip to the can is a almost flourescent green liquid (hopefully we're discussing Number 1, although I've seen the same with Number 2 :blink: ) you are probably drinking Ku Ding. I love it and I would believe anything I was told about it. We can learn a lot about such things from Chinese culture.

The night tea I have is not Ku Ding. I have some Ku Ding here. And yes it is veryyyyyyyyyy bitter. I am trying to find out if the night tea that I have has a name.

If there is anyone from Jiangxi on here then they might know about the night tea

My wife also gave me some Ningxia wolfberries to put with my tea. Ever had any of these? She says they are very good for the eyes and male fertility :D

I think you are talking about Ningxia Gou Ji. It bears red berries. You can find these raw berries from most Chinese stores here. I also hear that they are very good for the eyes, male fertility, etc., but better not drinking with tea leaves together. :blink:

Wei shen me? Is there a problem if they are combined?

They said together in the hot water they would produce a harmful substance. I don¡¯t know if there is some kind of clinic proof or not.

Uh ohhhhhhhh I am toast :D My wife gave me this to do as she has been doing it for years. I saw others doing it also. If you happen to come up with a link on this then pleaseeeeeeee tell me. Who are "they?"

Sorry, ¡°they¡± = ¡°stuff from Internet¡±. Don't worry. :D The Internet provides too much information, some are true, and some are not. By Gooooogle here comes a link to a Chinese site http://big5.china.com.cn/chinese/health/492425.htm. Let your SO read it and communicate back to you . B)

Ok you have done it now :D My wife just read the link so from now on it is green tea in the morning and wolfberries in the evening :D

Here's a good article on the benefits of green tea -

http://www.abcnaturalhealth.com/a1/benefic...-green-tea.html

and here's one on beer and wine -

http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/32/62

This does not mean you can swill down the whole keg. :D

Dennis, are you listening? B) :blink: :D

Edited by RLS (see edit history)

Dennis, are you listening? :D :blink: B)

Yes, I am 'listening', Ron. Although I have read about this study and its results in Men's Health magazine a while back, I am a bit skeptical about some internet articles, as I just don't know who's behind the publication and what benefits they hope to gain from touting them.

As for your link:

The study will be published in the journal Nonlinearity in Biology, Toxicology and Medicine this December. Trevithick is cross-appointed in the School of Kinesiology in the Faculty of Health Sciences and in the Schulich School of Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.

Wikipedia shows Schulich School of Medicine as part of University of Western Ontario, so I can assume that it's legit. :D

Yes, I am 'listening', Ron. Although I have read about this study and its results in Men's Health magazine a while back, I am a bit skeptical about some internet articles, as I just don't know who's behind the publication and what benefits they hope to gain from touting them.

As for your link:

The study will be published in the journal Nonlinearity in Biology, Toxicology and Medicine this December. Trevithick is cross-appointed in the School of Kinesiology in the Faculty of Health Sciences and in the Schulich School of Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.

Wikipedia shows Schulich School of Medicine as part of University of Western Ontario, so I can assume that it's legit. :D

In the meantime, I'm gonna go have a beer! :D

As for your link:

Me toooooooooooo :D

Me toooooooooooo B)

Now then, green tea with vodka, hmm..... :blink:

On second thought, maybe I could market and sell guys like you some Green Tea Beer? :D

Haha... which brings up the subject of drinks at KTV. In the West, Whiskey is generally mixed with Coke for Whiskey Coke or mixed with cordial for Whiskey Scour. But in China, Whiskey is mixed with Green Tea. I've had more than my share of Whiskey Green Tea during my stay in China. :D

The taste is actually remarkably refreshing.

In the meantime, I'm gonna go have a beer! :P

Me toooooooooooo :P

Now then, green tea with vodka, hmm..... :rolleyes:

On second thought, maybe I could market and sell guys like you some Green Tea Beer? :huh:

Haha... which brings up the subject of drinks at KTV. In the West, Whiskey is generally mixed with Coke for Whiskey Coke or mixed with cordial for Whiskey Scour. But in China, Whiskey is mixed with Green Tea. I've had more than my share of Whiskey Green Tea during my stay in China. :D

The taste is actually remarkably refreshing.

"Refreshing" is a word I've never heard associated with whiskey.