Drivers license in NY state

This is what is on a web site for getting a drivers license

Proofs of Identity

Foreign passport - in English and with a U.S. Visa and valid I-94 or unexpired I-155 stamp attached. If not in English, a certified translation by the embassy or consulate of the issuing country is required. For details, see the publication Proofs of Identity (ID-44).

From what I am reading it is off to the embassy for more translation. With a k-1 visa I-94 is valid for how long.

It seems trying to get a drivers license is almost as hard as getting a visa

What is the issuing country China for passport or US for visa?

Proofs of Identity

Foreign passport - in English and with a U.S. Visa and valid I-94 or unexpired I-155 stamp attached. If not in English, a certified translation by the embassy or consulate of the issuing country is required. For details, see the publication Proofs of Identity (ID-44).

From what I am reading it is off to the embassy for more translation. With a k-1 visa I-94 is valid for how long.

I looked long and hard at this for when my fiance comes to the USA.

I too live in NY, and looked at the point system that they use in order to issue a permit or license, 6 or more required.

K-1 I-94 is valid for only 90 days, NY DMV requires I-94 valid for 1 year or more and still valid for at least 6 months, so that is out for points.

Foreign passport with I-551 Green-Card stamp or Green Card (3 points) Won't have that for a while.

EAD Card (3 points) Will have in 90 days or so after married, and file for EAD and AOS.

SS card (2 points) Get this ASAP after she enters the country.

US Marriage document (2 points) Marriage certificate.

The passport need not be translated, The biometric page in the Chinese passport is Chinese, and English already.

You will have to wait for EAD or Green-Card before applying for a learner's permit.

http://www.nysdmv.com/idlicense.htm

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Proofs of Identity

I looked long and hard at this for when my fiance comes to the USA.

I too live in NY, and looked at the point system that they use in order to issue a permit or license, 6 or more required.

K-1 I-94 is valid for only 90 days, NY DMV requires I-94 valid for 1 year or more and still valid for at least 6 months, so that is out for points.

Foreign passport with I-551 Green-Card stamp or Green Card (3 points) Won't have that for a while.

EAD Card (3 points) Will have in 90 days or so after married, and file for EAD and AOS.

SS card (2 points) Get this ASAP after she enters the country.

US Marriage document (2 points) Marriage certificate.

The passport need not be translated, The biometric page in the Chinese passport is Chinese, and English already.

You will have to wait for EAD or Green-Card before applying for a learner's permit.

http://www.nysdmv.com/idlicense.htm

This means if you are hung up in name check *^%$#@ and it takes a year or more for green card , I need to go buy a bike for her just to go to a store.This just blows.

• 1 year later...

I have a follow-up question. My husband just got his learner permit but showing "temp. visitor exp: 11-18-08" (same as the expiration date on the EAD). Does it mean he needs to have a renewed EAD before it gets expired if he doesnt receive the green card before that? If not, can he still drive?

If his license shows an expiration date, the license will expire on that date. He will need a green card or EAD and the new expiration of the DL will most likely be set to the same expiration date - i.e., his EAD or green card and driver's license will most likely show the same expiration.

Likewise with the I-94. It seems more and more that they key the friver's license to expire at the same time as the legal presence.

A K-1 90 day I-94 may not be enough to get a license.

Laws vary by state, so check your own regulations to be sure.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I have a follow-up question. My husband just got his learner permit but showing "temp. visitor exp: 11-18-08" (same as the expiration date on the EAD). Does it mean he needs to have a renewed EAD before it gets expired if he doesnt receive the green card before that? If not, can he still drive?

If his license shows an expiration date, the license will expire on that date. He will need a green card or EAD and the new expiration of the DL will most likely be set to the same expiration date - i.e., his EAD or green card and driver's license will most likely show the same expiration.

Likewise with the I-94. It seems more and more that they key the friver's license to expire at the same time as the legal presence.

A K-1 90 day I-94 may not be enough to get a license.

Laws vary by state, so check your own regulations to be sure.

So that means he needs to renew his EAD before it gets expired so he can have a valid driver license by then.