any other ways to get your fiance here?

I know that there has been some discussion about adjusting a student visa to immigrant by going to Mexico or Canada. Since my brother-in-law did so, I asked him about it. The catch is that since April 1, 2002 if you are denied the visa in the third country, you cannot return to the US! Probably not worth the risk of being shut out.

QUOTE/

Anybody with a F-1 or J-1 status in the US could apply for a visa from a third country other than USA. US counselates in Mexico and Canada grant visas if applicants are qualified. Most people choose to go to Mexico since they grant visas within 12 hours. In Canada, it takes more than 24 hours. Most people do not have the patience or money. To cross the borders, applicants need to take with them, I-20 or IAP-66 together some other documents such as certification of enrollment, teaching positions, GA positions, Official transcripts.

However, effective April 1, 2002, if applicants are denied a visa, they cannot return to USA with their I-20 or IAP-66. Those that are denied visas are usually those who lack communication skills or do not have enough supporting documents. After that date, very few people apply for visas through a third country.

It is a good idea to keep an eye on the new changes on the Internet. They always change rules and regulations. I anwered your questions based on what I knew a year ago.

END QUOTE/