Does SO need my passport for the interview?

Guest ShaQuaNew

My SO only has a copy of my complete passport. It is not a notarized copy. Should I express mail her my actual passport?

Thanks

No. Do not send it. A copy is all that is needed. Make sure the copy includes each and every page, including blank ones. Some notarize it, though it's not necessary. I didn't, and had no problem.

edit:

I made a PDF copy of my passport and emailed it to my then fiancee. She printed it there.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

My SO only has a copy of my complete passport. It is not a notarized copy. Should I express mail her my actual passport?

Thanks

I would never mail my passport overseas. There's just too much risk of loss. There's even an outside chance of a blue slip requesting a communication video. How are you going to make an emergency trip to China to do that, if you're here and your passport is in China?

The primary reason for a notarized copy of your passport is to prove a valid relationship. The passport proves how many times you visited China during a specific time period. If you have supplied her other proof, then perhaps the copy she has is sufficient.

If you want "insurance" I would go to your bank or insurance agent and have them copy each page of your passport and notarize it. My insurance agent notarized each page. He'd always only copied and notarized the data page before. I explained to him the copy was not for the purpose of emergency replacement but to serve as a substitute for my actual passport, as relationship proof. There are other secondary reasons why the VO might want to look at a petitioner's passport that would include ruling out that your were the specific John Doe arrested in Costa Rica for dealing drugs, be verifying your passport has no Costa Rica entry stamp, etc.

From what I've read, this kind of "proof" is not high on the list of documentation asked for at interview but if there is any doubt about the validity of your relationship, it could be golden. I think of it as part of the kitchen sink approach. Whether to rush around at this last date is purely a judgement call but for others....it is cheap and easy to notarize a passport, so I think it's worth doing.

Thanks

I would never mail my passport overseas. There's just too much risk of loss. There's even an outside chance of a blue slip requesting a communication video. How are you going to make an emergency trip to China to do that, if you're here and your passport is in China?

The primary reason for a notarized copy of your passport is to prove a valid relationship. The passport proves how many times you visited China during a specific time period. If you have supplied her other proof, then perhaps the copy she has is sufficient.

If you want "insurance" I would go to your bank or insurance agent and have them copy each page of your passport and notarize it. My insurance agent notarized each page. He'd always only copied and notarized the data page before. I explained to him the copy was not for the purpose of emergency replacement but to serve as a substitute for my actual passport, as relationship proof. There are other secondary reasons why the VO might want to look at a petitioner's passport that would include ruling out that your were the specific John Doe arrested in Costa Rica for dealing drugs, be verifying your passport has no Costa Rica entry stamp, etc.

From what I've read, this kind of "proof" is not high on the list of documentation asked for at interview but if there is any doubt about the validity of your relationship, it could be golden. I think of it as part of the kitchen sink approach. Whether to rush around at this last date is purely a judgement call but for others....it is cheap and easy to notarize a passport, so I think it's worth doing.

When I sent in my 129-f I sent in a copy of my stamped pages on the passport not the entire passport. I sent to Yan a complete noterized copy of all pages for her to take to interview. She said VO did not ask to see anything about passport at her interview this week. Maybe just a lucky roll of the dice . I would never send my passport over seas. It is worth many years wages for the average chinese on the black market. Who really knows

who goes through the mail before it arrives where you have sent it. .