Money/Cash in the USA

Hi all,

Something happened this past weekend that I think needs to be shared with you all, especially those who are new to America or will be soon.

I sublet one of my rooms to a Chinese couple. They are trying to start their own restaurant here in the Hartford area. Anyway, on Sunday night "Jack" was walking to our house when he was jumped by four guys who beat him up pretty bad. He has two scull fractures and other severe injuries. He is still in the hospital but is expected to recover. Anyway, it seems that this problem was created by Jack's innocence - he let it be known in our neighborhood that he carries around a lot of cash. Being an urban environment, these guys found out and robbed him of 2000 dollars - cash.

I know that in China it is common to carry around a lot of money. However, in the US, while it is always a good idea to carry around a little cash, but not more than 100 dollars. And never let anyone know how much you are carrying. Far better to use credit cards and debit cards for larger purchases. A high percentage of crimes in this country are crimes of opportunity. Please be careful.

Dave

Thanks for posting this Dave. It is particularly useful for the new arrivals.

As sad as this episode is, I keep wondering why one ( anyone for that matter ) would "advertise" the fact they carry bundle of cash.. It defies common sense in ANY country. Not just the U.S.

Carrying cash , like in China and many other countries, is one thing. Trumpeting it is another all together.

ChinaDave,

I am so glad that you posted this. The first thing I did when my wife got here was to have a very serious talk with her about security, not opening the door to anyone while I am at work, how to dial 911 in case of an emergency, etc., etc. With all that accompanies the arrival of our fiancees/wives, I think it is very easy for us to forget the importance of this information, and sharing it with our loved ones. I realize that China is by no means a crime-free society, and alot of what needs to be discussed is just common sense, but please let her know that despite all of our advantages, and a recent drop in the nationwide crime rate, this is still a dangerous country in which to live.

ChinaDave,

I am so glad that you posted this.  The first thing I did when my wife got here was to have a very serious talk with her about security, not opening the door to anyone while I am at work, how to dial 911 in case of an emergency, etc., etc.  With all that accompanies the arrival of our fiancees/wives, I think it is very easy for us to forget the importance of this information, and sharing it with our loved ones. I realize that China is by no means a crime-free society, and alot of what needs to be discussed is just common sense, but please let your sweetie know that despite all of our advantages, and a recent drop in the nationwide crime rate, this is still a dangerous country in which to live.

This is really good advice Tex.

Thanks Dave and Tex for posting. My fiancee prefers going out shopping alone after 9 PM in Nanning because of the intense heat in day time. Sometimes I get nervous because of American thinking. I already hold her that people in America usually don't walk alone in the street after dark in downtown city. It can be dangerous. :blink:

When you move to the US, you need to immediately get a checking account established at a local bank which has plenty of convienent ATM's available.

It is very true that most Americans don't carry a lot of money on their person. There is no need to and it invites trouble like this.

Once you are employed, ask if your employer will do a "direct deposit" of your pay to your bank account. This is very common in the US and it is safer. This will not cost you anything.

You can ask for an account with a "debit card" then you can use the ATM's to obtain cash in small amounts as you need it. Also, many stores will now let you pay for your purchases using the debit card, so you don't need to carry cash or write checks. The money is debited directly from your account.

You can get the bank or your spouse to help you learn how to pay for regular monthly bills by "direct withdrawal" from your account. With some banks this can be done over the internet or by using the telephone. Again, another way to avoid having to have cash or writing checks.

In short, don't keep those large amounts of money that many Chinese keep in your home or on your person. There is no need to in America and it is not safe to do so.

Even when I was working as a college professor in the US and made a very good income, I had my pay deposited directly and I rarely had as much as $50 on my person at a time.

thanks for sharing this,especially the "direct deposit",which i'll keep in my mind for i'm hunting a job here now, :)

i'm in downtown Boston,and always lots of people on street,and i feel very safe,though now i know i'd be careful also.Well,when typing "lots of people",i hesitated for really there's much less than i usually saw on street in NanJing,China,but just many more than i saw in towns,like my husband's hometown CAPE COD.

thanks for sharing this,especially the "direct deposit",which i'll keep in my mind for i'm hunting a job here now, :)

i'm in downtown Boston,and always lots of people on street,and i feel very safe,though now i know i'd be careful also.Well,when typing "lots of people",i hesitated for really there's much less than i usually saw on street in NanJing,China,but just many more than i saw in towns,like my husband's hometown CAPE COD.

April,

Welcome to Massachusetts.