layover time and customs for new immigrant

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all. I had quitted communist since I started this immigration process. I didnt want to break the immigration law at all. I just was shocked to find out how immgration treated former commnuist, as I thought china and the US has a very good relationship. anyway, like what I said I didnt blame visa officer if they ask every former/current communist to hold untill they made security clearance is done. I pissed off just because they let someone hold, let some go through.

As for LV purse. I bought them for myself and my husband, before I bought them, I heard some ladies on 001 said if they are for yourself, it wont be a problem at all. Neither my husband and I knew faked LV purse for personal use will against american law again. Otherwise I should not have bought them at all. My husband just happend to tell his boss what I bought in GZ, then his boss mentioned customs, so we were worrying about it. I defenitely wont against american law.

Paula,

What will you do next? Maybe next you will try to get away with not putting a nickle in the parking meter. :lol: Don't let those guys put you on a guilt trip. You will find there are plenty of self righteous pontificators here in the US. They are the ones who preach morality from the pulpit and cheat on their wives, the ones who cheat on their taxes, the ones who have too much to drink and drive anyway. Have you guys never thrown a cigarette butt out your car window or jaywalked? Let me remind you that you are breaking laws. Get a life!

Good luck on your trip Paula.

Paula, a better option than taking the more expensive flight from China might be to adjust the onward flight in the US to give you more time. If you're going from LAX to a major US destination you'll have many choices. Give yourself at least 3 hours between flights. If your Air China flight is Beijing to LAX I have flown that many times, it's a 747 and quite nice.

BTW, different airlines flying to LAX arrive at different terminals: China Eastern is at Bradley, China Southern at Terminal 5, and Air China at Terminal 2.

As far as the bag goes I agree that the chances of having a problem are small BUT why subject yourself to the stress? It will be natural to worry about many things, leave the bags in China and don't add to your worries.

Good luck!

3 hours minimum for sure. If you live in LA then get there 2 hours ahead and should be ok. I got burned last week. Had 2 hours layover in LA, Plane from Houston to LA 1.5 hours late. By the time I got to the ticket counter, noone was there and was closed. Continental refused to get us hotel and said no hotel in LA available. Bunch of people stranded going to China and Taiwan. I was leaving on Air China, others on EVA, all pissed and angry as Continental said no problem getting to LA with enough time. I rented car and found Hotel right accross the street. Next day had to go to Air China ticket office to rebook as ticket counter would open only at 8:30pm. They charged me $375 more for ticket change. Any time connecting flights involved, the risk goes up so 3 hours minimum for sure. Also, Air China uses 747 and bigger and more restrooms, etc. I flew China Eastern, small plane, not as much room. I learned the hard way and it takes 4 planes to reach my destination in China. You can figure what kind of headache I got.

Paula, a better option than taking the more expensive flight from China might be to adjust the onward flight in the US to give you more time. If you're going from LAX to a major US destination you'll have many choices. Give yourself at least 3 hours between flights. If your Air China flight is Beijing to LAX I have flown that many times, it's a 747 and quite nice.

BTW, different airlines flying to LAX arrive at different terminals: China Eastern is at Bradley, China Southern at Terminal 5, and Air China at Terminal 2.

As far as the bag goes I agree that the chances of having a problem are small BUT why subject yourself to the stress? It will be natural to worry about many things, leave the bags in China and don't add to your worries.

Good luck!

3 hours minimum for sure. If you live in LA then get there 2 hours ahead and should be ok. I got burned last week. Had 2 hours layover in LA, Plane from Houston to LA 1.5 hours late. By the time I got to the ticket counter, noone was there and was closed. Continental refused to get us hotel and said no hotel in LA available. Bunch of people stranded going to China and Taiwan. I was leaving on Air China, others on EVA, all pissed and angry as Continental said no problem getting to LA with enough time. I rented car and found Hotel right accross the street. Next day had to go to Air China ticket office to rebook as ticket counter would open only at 8:30pm. They charged me $375 more for ticket change. Any time connecting flights involved, the risk goes up so 3 hours minimum for sure. Also, Air China uses 747 and bigger and more restrooms, etc. I flew China Eastern, small plane, not as much room. I learned the hard way and it takes 4 planes to reach my destination in China. You can figure what kind of headache I got.

Byron:

I do not know where you are headed to in China or why you took Continental and then changed to Air China. There is a Continental Flight 89 originating in Huston at 6:30AM, arriving in Newark at 10:50AM. Then you stay in the same flight 89 leaving Newark 12:15PM, and arriving in Beijing at 3:00PM the next day. This is the famous North Pole route. You only have to change plane once before arriving in China. And I if the plane were late from Huston to Newark, I guess Continental would either delay the flight to China (due to the same flight number) or find a hotel for you.

Good luck!

Byron:

I do not know where you are headed to in China or why you took Continental and then changed to Air China. There is a Continental Flight 89 originating in Huston at 6:30AM, arriving in Newark at 10:50AM. Then you stay in the same flight 89 leaving Newark 12:15PM, and arriving in Beijing at 3:00PM the next day. This is the famous North Pole route. You only have to change plane once before arriving in China. And I if the plane were late from Huston to Newark, I guess Continental would either delay the flight to China (due to the same flight number) or find a hotel for you.

Hi,

My situation is complicated and not that simple for the fact that I have 4 planes to take. Plane 1 from Houston to LA or SF, Plane 2 from LA or SF to BJ or SH, Plane 3 from BJ or SH to Chengdu, Plane 4 from Chengdu to Xichang. I need to arrive very early in the morning to BJ of SH in order to get the flight from Chengdu to Xichang, so no choice and I don't want to stay overnight in Chengdu. Xichang flight only have 2 each day so have to get there the right time and have to leave from Chengdu as no other city flies to Xichang. I think it is not good like you mention to take one plane then change but Continental did not have flight at the right time so they booked me in the evening as the BJ Air China flight left at 1am in the morning. That is another reason why Continental refused to help us. I don't know what to do next time except stay overnight in Chengdu like I did last time but it was too much trouble as my SO had to meet me in Chengdu and we both fly back the next day. Then return we both fly to Chengdu a day ahead and she flys back to Xichang alone. Last flight I took from Xichang to Chengdu was over 5 hours late but lucky we flew the day before my flight from Chengdu to BJ. Last Friday I was the last one on the flight and barely got on the BJ to SF because the Chengdu to BJ flight was late. I got at the gate 3:15 and the plane leaves at 3:30. To conclude, I do not have much choice because I have to arrive very early in the morning in order to get the flight from Chengdu to Xichang.

what if I mail faked LV purse to the US? It will be caught too?

Paula, pack them in your bags and don't worry about it. They are attempting to stop people who bring them to the US to sell, not for personal use. My wife brought a few fake things with her and we were never even given a second glance. Now they do have a problem with unpackaged food, but some will tell you that the customs officers will just ignore it most of the time.

One thing they will confiscate is anything with eggs in them, like moon cakes.

Remember, the customs officers are different from immigration officers and the customs officers are usually very nice.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you are prosecuted as an alien, who knows, you may even be deported. I would stop listening to people on candle that tell you it is okay. Will they come to you aid if you are arrested. I think not. The law is clear. It does not say one purse or one hundred. You obviously made your decision. If your caught and report it on here, the same people stating it is okay will be saying you get what you deserve.

If she was trying to bring in 100 units it is possible she could have a problem, but 3 does not constitute the violation you are referring. The worst that would happen is they could confiscate them, but only if she got a jerk with Customs.

People bringing knockoffs back to the US for personal use is not something they concern themselves with, if that was the case 25-50% of USC's would be charged.

Ignorance of the functional policies of US Customs is no excuse either. :)

I can't count how many posts I've deleted that got into Paula's face about attempting a criminal act and scaring the hell out of her with threats of deportation and prison. Get a frickin' life! It's interesting that that righteous indignation doesn't surface when a USC posts about bringing back a couple hundred bootleg DVDs.

So Paula bought a couple of purses that she likes. BFD. Get off her case. If customs has a problem with it, they can confiscate them. If not, no harm, no foul.

You also deleted my post even though I was sticking up for her. :)

I can't count how many posts I've deleted that got into Paula's face about attempting a criminal act and scaring the hell out of her with threats of deportation and prison. Get a frickin' life! It's interesting that that righteous indignation doesn't surface when a USC posts about bringing back a couple hundred bootleg DVDs.

So Paula bought a couple of purses that she likes. BFD. Get off her case. If customs has a problem with it, they can confiscate them. If not, no harm, no foul.

Yep!

I guess some have forgotten the "mission".

She chose to go to a country that looks stupid in the

world's eyes. She is very brave.

I just hope she is going to a Chinese place that is

friendly to Chinese.

Yep!

I guess some have forgotten the "mission".

She chose to go to a country that looks stupid in the

world's eyes. She is very brave.

I just hope she is going to a Chinese place that is

friendly to Chinese.

i think Don hit the nail on the head , :)