'Affairs,' 'Hero' Dominate HK Film

Monday April 7, 4:16 PM

'Affairs,' 'Hero' Dominate HK Film Nods

By Winnie Chung

HONG KONG (Hollywood Reporter) - The crime thriller "Infernal Affairs" and Zhang Yimou's extravagant martial arts epic "Hero" finished neck-and-neck at the 22nd Hong Kong Film Awards on Sunday by winning seven awards each.

"Affairs" had been the favorite going into the awards with 16 nominations, while "Hero" was nominated in 14 categories. But "Hero" surprised pundits by taking seven awards within the first hour of the ceremony.

"Hero" started the night off sweeping aside all competition in the categories for cinematography (Christopher Doyle), art direction (Huo Tingxiao, Yi Zhenzhou), costume and make-up (Emi Wada), action choreography (Tony Ching), original film score (Tan Dun), sound design (Tao Jing) and visual effects (Ellen Poon, Murray Pope, Richard Schlein and Luke O'Brien).

But it was "Affairs" that ended up with the night's most coveted awards. Andrew Lau Wai-keung, who produced and co-directed the hit movie, was visibly emotional as he accepted the bronze statuette for director as well as for best film.

The film about an undercover cop who infiltrates the triads and a triad member planted in the police force also picked up awards for original film song (Chan Kwong-wing, Lin Xi), film editing (Danny and Oxide Pang), screenplay (Alan Mak, Felix Chong), supporting actor (Anthony Wong Chau-sang) and actor for Tony Leung Chiu-wai for his role as the tortured undercover police officer, beating singer-actor Leslie Cheung, who committed suicide April 1.

Taiwanese actress Rene Liu scored a minor upset, winning over Eugenia Yuan -- daughter of 1960s martial arts star Cheng Pei-pei -- in the supporting actress category. The U.S.-based Yuan, who did not attend the awards because of the atypical pneumonia scare, was consoled with the newcomer award.

But there were few other surprises. As expected, Anthony Wong Chau-sang took home the supporting actor award for his work in "Affairs." Wong Chau-sang was also nominated in the supporting actor category for two other films: "Princess-d" and "Demi-haunted."

In a repeat of last year's Golden Horse Awards in Taipei, Malaysian-born actress Liu Sin-je was named best actress for her role as a blind musician who has visions of disasters and sees ghosts after a corneal transplant.

Fruit Chan's "Hong Kong Hollywood," which was a favorite at the Golden Horse, left the Hong Kong awards empty-handed.

The Professional Achievement Award was presented to veteran actors Tso Tat-wah and Shek Kin. Tso was known for action movies like "Buddha's Palm" and for his many roles playing intrepid detectives, while Shek carved a successful and lasting niche for himself as an outstanding villain in the old black-and-white "Wong Fei-hong" movies.

The award for new director, given out to directors with no more than three films, was given to Lo Chi-leung, director of the supernatural thriller "Inner Senses."

A complete list of winners follows.

Best Film: Infernal Affairs

Best Director: Andrew Lau Wai-keung, Alan Mak Siu-fai (Infernal Affairs)

Best Actor: Tony Leung Chiu-wai (Infernal Affairs)

Best Actress: Lee Sin-je (The Eye)

Best Supporting Actor: Anthony Wong Chau-sang (Infernal Affairs)

Best Supporting Actress: Rene Liu (Double Vision)

Best New Performer: Eugenia Yuan (Three)

Best Screenplay: Alan Mak, Felix Chong (Infernal Affairs)

Best Cinematography: Christopher Doyle (Hero)

Best Film Editing: Danny Pang, Pang Ching Hei (Infernal Affairs)

Best Art Direction: Huo Tingxiao, Yi Zhenzhou (Hero)

Best Costume & Make-up: Emi Wada (Hero)

Best Action Choreography: Tony Ching Siu-tung (Hero)

Best Original Film Score: Tan Dun (Hero)

Best Original Film Song: Chan Kwong-wing & Lin Xi (Infernal Affairs)

Best Sound Design: Tao Jing (Hero)

Best Visual Effects: Ellen Poon, Murray Pope, Richard Schlein, Luke O'Brien (Hero)

Best New Director: Lo Chi-leung (Inner Senses)

Professional Achievement: Tso Tat-wah, Shek Kin

Best Asian Film: My Sassy Girl (Korea)

Reuters/VNU

I don't like "Hero". It's a beautiful movie but not a good movie! Well, this is only my personal view. Sorry about this...hee.hee

:P  :P  :P

My fiancee didn't care for Hero also. I am still waiting for her to mail me the DVD.

Most Chinese don't like this movie. We think it's a failure of Director Zhang, which is a very good director that we admire so much. But the pictures in the movie are really beautiful. However, it's still worth to have a look at.

;) Wish you get the DVD from your girl soon!

:blink:

I don't like "Hero". It's a beautiful movie but not a good movie! Well, this is only my personal view. Sorry about this...hee.hee

:P  :P  :P

My fiancee didn't care for Hero also. I am still waiting for her to mail me the DVD.

Most Chinese don't like this movie. We think it's a failure of Director Zhang, which is a very good director that we admire so much. But the pictures in the movie are really beautiful. However, it's still worth to have a look at.

;) Wish you get the DVD from your girl soon!

:blink:

My girl doesn't like historical action flick with blood. She likes movies that takes place in this era (current time). Actually, she prefers American movies.

I will agree that for Director Zhang, "Hero" is not his best effort.  To call it a failure is much to harsh though, I think.  It is mostly an action movie.  The story line is weak, but I find that true about alot of Chinese movies.  Rich cinematography though.

:lol: You said what was in my mind! I need to keep improving my English. :lol:

My parents just saw Hero and they didn't enjoy it. They did enjoy the beautiful scenery. I don't know why Hidden Dragon Crouching Tiger and Hero got great reviews. Most Chinese think both movies are okay but not great. They are made for foreigners.

I don't know why Hidden Dragon Crouching Tiger and Hero got great reviews.  Most Chinese think both movies are okay but not great.  They are made for foreigners.

Exactly. It was "foreigners" who gave Crouching Tiger rave reviews and nominated it for awards. That it was made for and embraced by a Western audience--many of whom had never befoe watched a film with subtitles--shouldn't disqualify it as a success.

All right.  From the Chinese members, I would like to know what Chinese movies that I can get DVD with English subtitles, would you recommend?  Especially those which give insights into Chinese life and culture.

All DVDs now comes with many subtitles including English. I am more of a HK movie fan. So I can only recommend HK movies. If you like Jet Li, I recommend his Once A Time In China I, II, and III series. These three movies are much better than Hero. The Once A Time In China II won many HK awards.

See review below:

http://www.apolloguide.com/mov_revtemp.asp?CId=3125

My girl doesn't like historical action flick with blood.  She likes movies that takes place in this era (current time).  Actually, she prefers American movies.

hi Tony,

Yan and I may have the similar taste on movies. I prefer watching a movie that is closer to our life and has a happy ending, and I prefer American movies too. Especailly now, with Brian's help with the cultural things in the movies, it's a great fun and another great way to know the new land better. When we talk about movies, what Brain says very often is "that's the movie I'd like you to watch". So far, we've got a collection including old movies like, Sleepless in Seatle, and new movies, like Chicago etc

Q&Q