Chinese Swastika

I think there is enough explanation and reason to support her using the picture. But I would suggest you go one step further and contact her teacher to educate him/her about the symbol so you can try to preempt a bad reaction in front of the the other students. Our educators can be some of the least educated people.

You might also explain to your daughter how others might view this and explain that you are contacting her teacher in support of her.

I'd like to bring up an issue and it probably won't be a very popular thought, but what the heck. I too live in a rural area and redneck mentality sometimes is the norm. While I personally support the views of what has been said here (I'm one of those left wing anomalies out here), I'm not sure if I would allow my child to use the photo. Depending on the age of your child, and that of the class, and maturity level, you might have some misunderstandings. It is your child that will have to deal with the fall out on a daily basis if the presentation is misinterpreted by either students or teachers.. You way well be able to defend and articulate your position to adults, but that may not help your child with her peers.

As I stated earlier, I support and agree with what has been said here. Those are my beliefs, but I will not use my child as an instrument to present my point of view. One needs to be sure that we are not using our kids to support what we personally believe in. Nothing aggravates me more than to see children holding protest signs or in a protest rally, when I know good and well, they have no clue what the issue is and parents are using them to support their own agenda. I am not saying this is the case here, just a thinking point. I think if your child truly believes in what has been posted here and can articulate and maybe defend these thoughts, by all means have her use the photo. She will be the one that has to live with her peers. Good luck.

As aye,

Jim

Edited by SinoTexas (see edit history)

Many years ago a book told me the symbol looks a bit different from swastika but it still disturbs me. I was very surprised there is a swastika on the tile of a noodle restaurant near my home and it disturbs nobody except me.

If I were TY, I'd explain what it means. Whether to use it or not is Hui's choice.

Thanks for the replies you all. As always, they are great! Alot of energy out there! That's what makes CFL such a success!

Okay,,,enough of my praise!........LOL.

Well, Hui didn't use the pic. It must've been after I talked to her about it when I first saw it and before I first posted about it.

I explained to her what a swastika was, or at least what most people think they are, and suggested to her it might be a good thing to leave it out. Besides, she had many other pictures of China; beautiful pictures from Beijing, Shanghai and Guilin, to mention a few. She put them all in a powerpoint presentation with descriptions and set to traditional Chinese music that would send a person's soul into a flight of fancy. She did a superb job! She worked on it for a long time. The teacher gave her an A+ (110).

I was just worried for her if anyone found it offending. Being the only Chinese in her school is tough enough on her without having any more adversity thrown her way. Again, I may be overreacting. She goes to a good highschool but kids can be mean.

Thanks again!

She worked on it for a long time. The teacher gave her an A+ (110).

I was just worried for her if anyone found it offending. Being the only Chinese in her school is tough enough on her without having any more adversity thrown her way. Again, I may be overreacting. She goes to a good highschool but kids can be mean.

Thanks again!

That's all that matters. Great to see hear she got an A+!!! Fantastic!

So what are you going to do to reward her? :rolleyes:

TY, you have been a good father. You were not over reacting.

If I wear a jacket or T-shirt with either swastika or Buddha nacklace and walk around Beijing Lu in Guangzhou, people will throw empty bottles, snack meat balls, fish balls at me :rolleyes: .

A Chinese star named Zhao Wei wore a dress with Japanese military flag when she toured Japan. When she was back in China, on a show in Hunan province, people threw turd (real shit, not just the bad word) on her face. Zhao Wei escaped from the stage, fled away from Hunan province. No place to file any complaint.

I read this too late to put in my input prior to your decision, but I must say that I think you and your daughter made the right decision. While it is a shame that the Nazis misused this anicient symbol, it will always be remembered as a symbol of hate and genocide. There is no need to display a symbol that causes many to have memories of pain and suffering. While the schoolchildren probably would not have this reaction, the teacher or others that will see this presentation might. I don't think this is a political correctness issue. Even I as a white male recoil when I see a swastika and suddenly have pictures in my mind of stacks of emaciated bodies that I have seen in books.

After reading, "The Rape of Nanking", I now have this involuntary reaction when I see a Rising Sun Japanese flag. I regret this as I have many friends that are Japanese nationals and I was even engaged to a Japanese girl once, but some things are so horrific that even reading about it leads to a permanent imprint on your psyche.

Edited by Juette (see edit history)
After reading, "The Rape of Nanking", I now have this involuntary reaction when I see a Rising Sun Japanese flag. I regret this as I have many friends that are Japanese nationals and I was even engaged to a Japanese girl once, but some things are so horrific that even reading about it leads to a permanent imprint on your psyche.
It will take two more generations, another 60 years, to forgive and Chinese will never forget. I have a friend in Shenzhen. His 14-month-old daughter just learnt to talk but if anyone made her mad, she yelled "da dao ri ben di guo zhu yi! di zhi ri huo!" Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)