timeline for discussion ..

I honestly don't know how it all works , to my knowledge :

Petition sent to laguana niguel california : June 12, 2002

Petition approved and sent to gz : Aug. 16, 2002

Interview was (past or approved) on: Dec. 31, 2002

DOS confirmed name was submitted: Nov. 12 , 2002

Is it customary for the consulate to hold passport ?

Looking at your timeline, something is wrong. Your name check should have cleared by mid-February unless there was a hit. Time to call Consular Afairs and tell them how long you have been waiting - don't let them pass you off to the 1225 hotline people. I would also suggest emailing Maura Harty's office with the same info.

I agree .. name checks SHOULD have cleared by mid-February, but it's not the case, nor at least in our case is it caused by a hit. Lisa and I are waiting for her namecheck clearance. She still hasn't cleared, nor is she "on hold".

Regrettably, there appears to be yet another black-hole group developing, of which we are a part. It's now been almost 14 weeks since Lisa's Dec 31 interview, and more than six months since her initial namecheck submission .. with no end in sight. Recent conversations with DoS, as well as a form-letter boilerplate reply from Maura Harty to my written complaint of March 20, all indicate "no problems" .. just "pending".

Our timeline thus far:

Sep 28, 2002 - Packet #3

Oct 15, 2002 - Initial namecheck submission

Dec 17, 2002 - Namecheck resubmit

Dec 31, 2002 - Interview (approved, but no visa)

Jan 10, 2003 - Namecheck resubmit

Feb 04, 2003 - Namecheck resubmit (final resub)

Feb 20, 2003 - False report to me of Lisa's clearance (DoS error)

Mar 03, 2003 - Lisa's data disappeared from all DoS databases

Mar 20, 2003 - Sent e-mail to Maura Harty requesting assistance

Mar 24, 2003 - Received form-letter reply that didn't address the issue

Mar 31, 2003 - Sent follow-up letter to Maura Harty - no reply received

Mar 31, 2003 - DoS Answerline says Lisa's data visible again, still "pending"

Apr 04, 2003 - DoS stated Lisa is still "pending" and advised me my only

option is to wait

Regrettably, there appears to be yet another black-hole group developing, of which we are a part.

Yes, remember "Black December", when there were virtually no visas and no information issued from about mid-December to mid February? The Nov to Jan interview group seems to be a kind of "post-BHOD" that is still experiencing delays. . . . along with the 'on hold' group. You all should get together and keep pressuring the officials. Don't let them forget you as they concentrate on the new cases. :(